WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mcgyver1467

How it started for me.....

My father was an ex-marine, so it started for me very early in my life. He was one who relied on self reliance, loved the outdoors and camping. We heated with wood my whole childhood, so thats where I learned to make fires. Stacking wood, tinder, kindling, and various firestarting techniques. As I grew older he was working so much he started running out of time for fishing, camping, etc.,  so I started on my own. I  read every survival manual I could get my hands on, so of course I had to try the things I had read. Some worked out real well, and some didn't, so I would practice until I could get it right, and have been practicing ever since, and I love it.

well it started early in my life spend alot of time in the woods and always ask myself "can I survive here if I had to" everywhere I went. I didn't think I could learn survival,thought it was too complicated. but I started watching Survivarman and thought gee I can do that. and found this very nice forum and one other and am learning a lot. happy070.gif

My dad is an outdoorsman, and we spent just about every waking hour when he wasn't working in the woods or at the river. For me, it wasn't any one thing or time, it was just the way it was. Now I have a 13 year old daughter and an 8 year old son, and both of them are the same way, it's not really something they conciously practice, it's just something they do. I used to laugh at my instructors and Drill Sergeants when I was in the military, because I was just doing things that came naturally to me. I remember my mom telling me when I was akid that I should have been out in front of Louis and Clarke, because I was always staying in the woods for days at a time. When my friends were busy drinking and partying I was camping and hunting. I wouldn't trade my experiences for any amount of money.

Coty

~ It hasn't really started just yet for me.....  but I do have dreams  :whistle:  of uh..... "starting" pretty soon and stuff.  :hugegrin:

I live in GA...... getting into the woods here, is like vietnam! It's a jungle out there. LITERALLY.  8|

I'm just collecting my skills here on this site for when my husband finally kicks me out.  :hugegrin:

I know how you feel TBW, I grew up in southeast Texas, everywhere you step it squishes, and GA ain't much better. I was stationed at Bening, and I don't miss that place at all. Now I live in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns in VA. Quite an improvement.

Coty

I know how you feel TBW, I grew up in southeast Texas, everywhere you step it squishes, and GA ain't much better. I was stationed at Bening, and I don't miss that place at all. Now I live in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns in VA. Quite an improvement.

Coty

~ Well, I live about ten miles from Fort Benning. My windows rattle every morning when they play their war games. I'm glad you can vouch for me on the Kudzu/thicket Hell I live in. LOL!

Taken, I worry that someday the kudzu will creep over your house overnight and we'll have to hack our way through it with our mini machetes to free you and Squattie.  :rofl: