WildSurvive Forum

Sometimes I love my job! This is one of the mines I had to inpsect today. It sits on a hillside above the Middle Fork American River and they extract gold crystal. The mine has been in the family for several generations and there are 8 miles of catacombs in hard rock. It's like taking a ride in Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean when you walk inside of it.

IMG_64491.jpg

The entrance looks solid but my claustrophobia would kick in about 100 yards in. Gold crystal? Ill have to look that up.  :hmm:  Great job you got there. So you actually get paid to do that?

OOOOOOOOooooooo!!!  Mines....caves....it doesn't matter.  I think they are fascinating!  :woot:

Well, this is what I did today at work. I was up 740ft with only about a ¼” of steel under my feet. The walkway was expanded metal and if you looked down while you walked fast it looked like there was NOTHING under your feet!

This is currently the 3rd highest road bridge in the nation. It’s going to be the 4th as soon as the hoover dam bypass is completed. We are going to repaint and do some seismic retrofitting. So we were down there with prospective bidders showing them what needs to be done.

Here’s how you get down there….

The ammonia smell was very strong as there is a large community of bats that reside in the abutment.

IMG_0197.jpg

Here are the “nuts and bolts”…..literally!

IMG_0214-1.jpg

This is how you GET to the nuts and bolts…..

IMG_0212.jpg

Looking up!

IMG_0215.jpg

This is the view from inside the column.

IMG_0217.jpg

This is the walkway underneath the bridge, it spans the entire distance.

IMG_0202.png

And this is what you see if you look down..

IMG_0205.png

Whoa! That bridge is really up there. I take it your not afraid of heights.

That's a nice looking river in the bridge pics, and the river several pics back. How is the fishing around there?

Hi Bushwacker,

Nope, heights and small spaces have never been a problem for me. :) The only thing that gives me the heebee jeebees is being crammed in with a crowd of people.

BTW- The fishing is out of this world! 

Awesome pictures, Rocky!  :thumbsup:  I got vertigo from the ones in the column!  I'm not scared of heights, but I do get a little dizzy for a few moments until I grab hold of something solid and hold on until the dizziness passes.  :hugegrin: 

I love the view from the "nuts and bolts" photo.  Awesome shot! :yes:

Well, it did play with your mind. It was a lot of visual stimuli. I had to stand there for a moment to absorb the "grandness" of the openess and height, then once I processed it all it was just like being on a city sidewalk.

The pictures don't do it justice at all!

Well, I had today off work. Columbus didn't discover America first, but I'll take the day off.

He was just the first European to get here. I think it's some guy named "chingakook" that crossed the Bering Straits

some 20,000 years ago that should get the credit. Just my opinion. So in my frustrastion of history, I took a few

(very few) of my guns out today. I really wanted to dial in my Ruger 10/22 with the new "red dot" sight I had

got for it. The coyotes near my house nearly ripped my dog in half. A $900 vet bill later, she's ok. She looks like

"Frankendog" with all the sutures around her neck, but she lived. So I wanted to try out some new 22 ammo today.

Aguila arms makes a subsonic 22 that is twice the bullet and half the powder. It's a 60 grain subsonic, so I took it

out for a spin today in my 10/22. Most 22 "shorts" won't cycle in a 10/22, but the grain weight in this sucker will,

and, your neighbors will never hear anything more than a cricket chirp, AND it will drop a coyote it it's steps.

Here's my first half hour, just dialing in my hand gun skills...

IMG_6961.jpg

Well sucka, which one you want me to cap yo @ss with?

IMG_6959.jpg

Here are the three 22cal rounds I'm testing today. The first one (from left to right) is a LR 29 grain. The middle one is the 60grain sub sonic short

and the last one is the 26 grain "short".

IMG_6969.jpg

Here's me with my ruger 10/22 with the new red dot scope.

IMG_6958.jpg

Here is the grouping at 100 yards with the red dot....

IMG_6971.jpg

And this is a picture of the WMD's found in Iraq.....uh just kidding, this is my shooting table, probably more WMD's

that they found in Iraq, or at least more than they found when I was there.... :)

IMG_6967.jpg

and this is what you do when you are frustrated with your cooking skills....

IMG_6964.jpg

That looks to be the Ruger .22 with the interchangeable cylinder. I had one and I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. I traded it for a Remington auto 30-06. I have the old colt scout single six that you wouldnt want me shooten at ya with. My favorite gun in fact in the head of my bed. I have a new Heritage Manufacturing Rough Rider .22 combo that is made in Florida I havent shot much and a Stoger Luger .22 that is very accurate. Luger style. Im going to have to burn some ammo one of these days.

Get that left arm under that rifle and that right elbow up higher.  :P

Where in the world do you find 60gr .22???

I checked Gander Mountain... no joy.

PS:  Izzat a Ruger Single Six?  I gots one of those puppies.

Where in the world do you find 60gr .22???

I checked Gander Mountain... no joy.

PS:  Izzat a Ruger Single Six?  I gots one of those puppies.

Aguila/Centurian Ammo. They got the best rimfire ammo EVER! That 60gr does some great work on coyotes.

http://www.aguilaammo.com/

Yep, that's the single six 50 year anniversary edition. It has the interchangeble cylinder for .22 magnum too. I filed the front sight down and got it dialed in. I could shoot the wings off a fly at 25yards with that thing. Swede prolly didn't like it because the front sights are manufactured way too high, so you either learn to shoot it that way, or clamp yer gun down in a vice and file  it down till it shoots right.

Hey Rocky!

I've spent the better part of about 4 years trying to decide whether I like Aguila's 60 gr SSS better than their 30 gr SuperMax - don't think I can make a call one way or the other, so I'll just keep shootin' both ;)

If you ever make it over to Colorado, the Pike's Peak Fun Run/Scramble, though less organized, is tons of fun, too!  Went one year and tumbled my VW microbus, enough kind folks there to help push it back upright.  Kinda hazy on the rest of the weekend...

Anyway, looks like you had fun, particularly liked the reverse bridge photo.

I like the 60grain cause I got to do some sniping at around 75yards, but I also have to be sorta "quiet" and I need rapid fire capability. So those 60's did a great job in my 10/22 with a coyote problem I had here. Those rounds tore holy hell through the lungs and they didn't get 20 feet before they dropped. I took lung shots on coyotes with the 29 grain and they made it all the way back to the den and died. Then the pack dispersed with a dead mate in the den.

Yeah! I've heard about the pike's peak fun run! I attempted the baja 1000 a couple times but, it was completely FUTILE! I never got past the 400 mile mark. You need one hell of a support team to even THINK about being competitive, but the pike peak run....now that's RIGHT up my alley! I'd love to come out there and race up and down a mountian on a throbbing hangover! That's just the sick kinda fun that runs in my blood. Must be my "sailor" upbringing. :P

I'll let you know if I ever make it out that way!

Tonight, the fog was thick as butter. A cold front moved in and all day, walking through the yard, I kept wiping spider webs off me and I couldn't figure out why. But tonight, I found out why. A little mommy spider must've had her little babies hatch cause the fog lit them all up with dew. I tried to capture it on the camera, but I couldn't replicate what I saw. There must have been 20 - 30 orb webs in my japanese maple tree. Here are a few pics....

DSCN2720.jpg

This pic caught all of the moisture droplets in the air.....this was really cool!

DSCN2726.jpg

You can't see the little guy, but he/she was furiously working on repairs!!!

DSCN2718.jpg

I posted this in the campfire too, but I figured if I wanted to find it again.....I know where it is!

So last night there were two events we might have seen in the night sky. 1) was the international space station passing by around 10:30PM. 2) a possibility of seeing the aurora borealis due to a recent solar storm. Also, the temps were very mild for being a late June. The grass was still green and it was dipping into the high 50’s at night so we thought CAMPFIRE!!!! My boys suggested we have a campfire and use it to do ALL our cooking. I thought that was a great idea! We even put a peach cobbler in a dutch oven. Of course we cheated a little bit and used charcoal for the dutch oven….look you’ll see!

IMG_7501.jpg

Here’s the peach cobbler all mixed up and ready to be closed up and on the coals.

IMG_7495.jpg

Here we have the coals warming up for the dutch oven….they’re JUST about ready!

IMG_7500.jpg

The fire is stoked, we have corn on the cob on top of the coals and we have the potatoes cooking down deep in the heart of the fire, you can see them below on the coals to the right.

IMG_7508.jpg

Lucky for those chickens in the background that we were having brats on a stick rather than CHICKEN! My younger son had the bright idea to wrap his brat with bacon. It turned out really good! Just make sure you use thinly slice bacon. Just pin one end of the bacon with a toothpick and spiral wrap it around the dog and pin the other end with another toothpick…..then GRILL over the fire! I couldn’t get picks of the dogs cause it was getting really dark!

IMG_7511.jpg