WildSurvive Forum
Bigblue

Crafter's Workshop

I'm hoping this thread will offer a place for all of our resident craftspeople to show off their fruits of their crafting labor. We've got places for bushcraft and survival tool/equipment photos ,and knife photos, and gun photos, and trail cam photos, and streaming photos from Swede's backyard...... but, we don't have a place that crafters can really call "Home"......

....until now!

If you made it and you're proud of it (or even if you're not) show it off here, ask for tips, tell us about your creation. Knitting, sewing, woodworking, bonsai tree engineering, quilting, weaving, drawing and painting.... whatever. Let's see your handiwork.

I'll start it off with a little project I've been tiddling away at for the past few days.

The short of a long and involved story is:

I had a 18"x3"x3" piece of gorgeous thuya burl that I have to make into "something" for a old friend and I need it by the end of June. So I had a local wood turner carve me 4(actually 5) identical little containers/vessels to my design. Now I, feeling bold and stupid, decided to make the tops by myself and with wood from my back yard. I also recall agreeing to do the buffed oil finishing as well. (Remember the "bold and stupid part"). I had a chunk of a hawthorn tree that was taken down 2 years ago and its been drying in the shed ever since. So I sliced off a board and cut out some circles and presto ..... tops!!

Now, if I could only make them not look like crap.

annesvessels007.jpg

SUPER-JIG ....... to the rescue!

annesvessels008.jpg

A couple pieces of hardwood and two door hinges.... high tech stuff, eh?

annesvessels009.jpg

Start be making the things semi-round. I just set the dish on a centering nail spin the top against the belt sander as I gradually take off more and more. It took about 4 or 5 minutes to shape each one.

annesvessels013.jpg

Then, adjust the angle of the jig with the bolt(actually there are two bolts-one on either side of the guide), and start grinding away.

annesvessels012.jpg

The comparison of before and after pieces.

annesvessels011.jpg

Then it was on to the sanding. I used 8 different grits from 60 up to 1000.

annesvessels014.jpg

Each top is capped off with a different multifaceted chunk of thuya that will be polished to a jewell-like gloss.

annesvessels016.jpg

annesvessels017.jpg

annesvessels020.jpg

annesvessels019.jpg

All four done. I still have to give these a good coat of antique oil before they get buffed to a smooth sheen. They will also get a final polish with a coat of carnuba wax.

annesvessels021.jpg

That's all for now. Tonight I'll treat with oil; and maybe do a bit of buffing and final assembly.

That's pretty awesome BLue! It reminds me of a quote that my AutoCAD professor had said to me when I started designing custom homes. His quote relates to the "round" nature of your project, and the handles youd decided to use.

He said "The world is made up of two shapes; arcs and angles, if you can learn to manipulate both, you can design anything your mind can think of."

Guest blacksmith

great job and thanks for the thread

Oh...yeah  oops.gif   really love those canisters man...those are positively awesome!

I can't believe I forgot to write that out as it was my first thought....however in my defence I was simultaneously having to defend myself from three foot terror  :whistle:

Thanks Blairs got it down pat. I see I missed one of the old screen hangers. Ill get it when we paint the trim.

I had forgot about this thread so I moved this from the "Adventure Gear" forum and deleted the thread.........

I’ve decided that this post can be categorized as “Adventure Gear”, I mean really, you’re out in the woods, your campfire is roaring, shelter is set up, food is cooking, wood is gathered, now you ask yourself “Man, what is there to do around here?” If you’re alone, how about a good game of Solitaire? Or, if you have one friend, a good ol’ game of WAR! If there’s plenty of you then maybe some CRAZY EIGHTS? GO FISH? HEARTS or SPADES? So, this is the adventure gear part…….

Lately I’ve been honing my skills with leatherworking. I have a few scraps lying around but wanted to make something quasi-useful. At my work, there’s a group of us, including me (if I’m not out in the field), that play cribbage during the lunch hour. We usually keep two decks of cards handy to play with and they are usually held by rubber bands, which continually break and send cards flying everywhere. So here I made two cases for a deck of cards that we could keep with our cribbage board:

Here are the two designs. This one of the right has “ESD” on it which stands for Engineering & Surveying Department and the other one was just a little freehand floral pattern I drew up.

IMG_6446.jpg

Here is the back of them. You can see one is “laced” and one is “stitched”.

IMG_6447.jpg

I have to keep doing little projects like this to keep the lacing and stitching techniques fresh. Especially “closing” the lace is a bit complicated, but well worth the effort.

IMG_6448.jpg

Guest smallgamehunter

thats some damn fine leatherwork shipmate

Wow, Rocky!  Those are beautiful!  My dad plays cribbage a lot.  I think I may try to make a cardholder for him.  Awesome work, my friend!  :thumbsup:

Here are some more pictures of the handle I put onto that patch knife for my girlfriend.  Its my first handle so don't be too mean :P  What ya think?

patchknife004.jpg

patchknife001.jpg

patchknife002.jpg

patchknife003.jpg

PS-Its damn near impossible to take a semi decent knife picture!  To those of you who do, I am very impressed!

Wow! I didn't see this one Watcher. Great work! Did you "burn" the rose in? Very impressed!

See! Carpe Diem with change your life!!!! I'm so happy that has inspired you. The world is now your oyster!

Ok, so I got tired of having my iPhone in my pocket getting scratched up with all the misc things in there like my keys, coins, pocket knife, etc . I also have been looking and looking for a decent case until I got to the point that I said the heck with all that and decided to make my own.  So here’s the result of my frustration! Like I’ve always said, necessity is the mother of invention. (I guess money will never be a necessity for me!)

I have found that leather work is a PERFECT activity for me because I’m not the type of person that can just sit down and sit still through a movie or just watching the idiot box. I NEED to have my hands ‘doing’ something. So, I’ve found that with lacing or sewing leather, it’s a great time passer for doing it WHILE I’m watching tv or doing some other idle activity.

I used veg tanned 7oz cow hide. I wrapped the iPhone with cling wrap and wet molded the leather over the phone with a bone folder and some carpet tacks to hold it in place while it dried. Then I used braided and waxed nylon thread to sew the belt loop on and finished the trim on the outside with 3/16” calf lacing. Dyed with a “saddle brown” gel dye and finished with a coat of “super sheen” sealer.

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

Here’s the back side.

IMG_6605.jpg

…and the side view.

IMG_6604.jpg

Thanks Rocky, yes I free-hand burned the rose.  I love woodburning! 

And nice job on that pouch there bro.  I can make functional things out of leather, but they always look like $#**, is it the leather, or me?  Or something else?

Well, that's a good artistic talent. I don't have "raw" art talent. I need a picture or figure and then I can reproduce it. Remember me saying that I just had this epiphany and needed to find out about things? Well, this was one of them. I did leather stuff when I was your age, but years had passed and I never remembered the basics. Besides, as soon as my folks moved off there ranch there was no need for things leather. No repairing saddles or tack, no need for leather consumables or products........UNTIL, I got into knife making, then all sorts of leather projects started popping up in my head.

There's a saddle maker, who has since passed on, but he put all his knowledge into books, his name was Al Stohlman and this guy and his wife could make ANYTHING out of leather. So it turns out that a friend of a friend of a friend knew this guy who has classes on leather working. So I contacted him and it turns out he teaches leather working techniques (braiding, stitching, etc.) at a local Tandy Leather shop about 40 minutes from me. So, I took all his classes, learned a whole bunch, and you're witnessing the results of that.

So check out if there's a Tandy Leather shop by you, I know there's one in every state, even one in Halifax, Nova Scotia that Blue will have to go visit one day.

We had one about 30 miles from me but it closed down.  I do personally know the women who owns it...  Maybe I'll have to ask her next time I see her.

PS- I didn't mean to mis-lead you about the rose, that didn't come straight out of my head.  Normally when I woodburn I first copy it onto the wood.  This one I didn't have on the wood but I did look at a picture to do it.  My girlfriend though, AMAZING artist...

Here are a couple projects I've been working on for my girlfriend-

For her confirmation, a wood burned sign with "Footprints in the Sand" on it, this took a LONG time to burn all the words! 

projects001.jpg

Here is the leather case for her sketchbook, I just got it all sewn together today, I still am working on the button to hold it closed, and have to draw up a design for the burning on the front-

projects002.jpg

Here is a view of the inside, along with a lovely picture she drew at the last vous'

projects003.jpg

Lastly here is a view of the leather flap that holds the cover in-

projects006.jpg

I honestly want to know, does it look good?  I am always very hard on my work and rarely happy with it so I want others oppinions.  If you find a way to improve it, LET ME KNOW!

Thanks! 

Watcher