WildSurvive Forum
Bigblue

Crafter's Workshop

I made a walking stick for my sister this year for Christmas.  I started out with a dried branch from the ash tree in front of my house.

I started off my stipping off the bark, removing the knobs left from the branches and carving out a hand grip and an second area to hold the paracord wrap in place.

Next, used a rough rock to smooth out and texture the wood, then sanded it lightly to smooth it a bit more.

I used a wood burner to decorate the walking stick.

I started out with her name.

She has always loved horses, so I used a wood burner to put a number of running horses on the handle.

She also raises cats, so below the paracord wrap and wrist strap, above her name, I put a couple of cats.

Down a little lower, I made some paw prints.

On the lower back, I put a small image of Kokopeli.

When I was finished, I put on a couple of coats of tongue oil.  It was a fun little project.

Stick1.thumb.jpg.c8ee570519da83012e8e47d25a46bc10.jpg

Stick2.thumb.jpg.71c71d55f40bb621c825c7a593de2b21.jpg

Stick3.thumb.jpg.f338ca99357b30950f2c4f979299f394.jpg

Stick4.thumb.jpg.a31956001071b7deb60ff57c79015557.jpg

Stick5.thumb.jpg.05a1282fa617bbe340ca3c8db106081d.jpg

Stick6.thumb.jpg.0596b8029165bb8dab962cda47f1a491.jpg

Stick7.thumb.jpg.101e0e44cfb395bfee036810332179f5.jpg

nice ofg! i like the wood burning. i have a wood burner but i suck at anything artsy. ill bet she loves it.

Thanks, Razor.

Yeah, she was quite surprised, as I normally give her crap all the time.  Gotta keep them guessing. 

I have two more drying that I will work on this summer.

It is fun using the wood burner.  A little practice and I was surprised what I could do.

my old man could do some pretty nifty woodburning. he had that old school line art talent that i way lack. i can make a nice peice of charcoal though LOL.

Nice clean crisp looking knife Rocky. Sorry I missed this.  :thumbup:

Good job Fat Guy I hope she dont hit with it.  :hugegrin:

Great looking stick OFG! I need to make one of those for my Dad. He's got parkinsons disease and hates using a cane, so I have wanted to make him a nice walking stick, but finding a straight piece of hardwood like that here is next to impossible.

A co-worker asked me the other day if I could repair some horse tack for her and I said I'd give it a shot. So she brought it in and it was in total disrepair. I decided I would try my hand at re-making this collar. It's a collar for a horse that the fringed leather goes over the eyes to keep flies off. I made the new one out of much thicker leather and better quality hardware. The old one had crappy "splash" rivets and I used copper rivets peened flat so the horse's hair wouldn't get snagged in it like a splash rivet. I was also having a hard time cutting the fringe because the leather was so soft and so a fellow leather artist told me to go buy a "rotary" cutter so I went to the local fabric store and picked one up! Man, I don't know how I've been doing this without one of those things!

Here's the OLD and the New!

[/img]

cropped_horse_collar.thumb.jpg.bda82ab22ff82e20f6e4b39b169b2e8b.jpg

Here is a fun little wood working project with some useful results.

This is a project we did with the Cub Scouts a number of years ago, and we make them periodically as child's gifts.  (We load it up with kite string and get them a kite, get's them outside instead of in front of the TV).    It's a super simple project and it works great for wrapping heavily used lengths of line or cordage.  (Like a bank line for fishing, or long net lines, or boat anchor lines, kite string, power cords etc, etc.)

The plans can be scaled up or down depending on the size of the cordage and the length of the cordage you wish to wrap.

Items needed.

4 X 1.25 inch finishing nails

24 inches of 1 x 2

24 inches of 5/8 inch wooden dowel

14 inches of 3/4 inch PVC pipe

Sandpaper

Paint or some other sealant (Optional)

2 chair leg end caps (Come in boxes of 4 for $1.58

Tools, Hammer and a 5/8 Drill bit

First, cut the 1 x 2 in half.  Then cut the 45 Deg angles on the end.  (You do not have to cut the 45 Deg angles but they do help).

100_0119.jpg

Then align the two pieces of 1 x 2 and clamp together.  Drill a 5/8 whole through both ends of both pieces.  (This can be adjusted up or down depending on how much cordage the wrapper is going to need to hold).  Place the dowels through the holes as pictured below and put a finishing nail into each piece to hold the dowels in place.

100_0129.jpg

Sand smooth and "Technically", it can be done now and will work.  You can make adjustments to the length of the rails above the dowels and the width of the space between the rails to accommodate varying lengths of and thicknesses of line.

If you wish to go on, you can paint or varnish it however you see fit.  (This was for kite string as a 5 year old's birthday present) so its colorful.

100_0134.jpg

We have added a few steps to our contraption.  This makes it much more pleasant to use.

You simply cut the PVC to fit over the handles and drive a chair leg (Leave about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch of the dowel protruding).  Then drive a chair glider nail in endcap to the end.  (I like these because they have a hard plastic spacer that acts as a self lubricating bearing).

100_0130.jpg

100_0131.jpg

And here is the fully modified finished product.  Great fun project to introduce kids to wood working and mechanical engineering and problem solving.

100_0138.jpg

I can't take credit for the design, I believe there was a basic model in one of the scout manuals, and my wife modified the design a bit.  She did add the PVC after building the first one many, many moons ago, becouse of friction, with PVC it's FAR easier to use and no blister oops.gif  LOL

I need one of those myself.  I usually just wrap the garden hose around my bent elbow and over my shoulder several times, then take it off to hang it on the hook, but I usually get water and dirt all over me by then.  :P

One big enough for that would be interesting.  I do know from experience that they work WAY better than the type you hold in one hand and spin the knob on the other (I had one), just much easier and doesn't torque the wrist as bad.

Theses are two different spice kits I made. Both very simple to make. One is a M&M mini candy tube, you can find at most gas stations. I cut plastic straws to  fit in it. Then filled the straws with my spices. The second one is two tops off plastic water bottles glued together. Between the two I cut a circle piece out if the bottle side to make two seperate chambers. This one is salt and pepper. I saw a commercial version of this at gander for about $15, I had to laugh. Yeah I'm cheap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335912709.598249.thumb.jpg.cdcb11c6ced0ce8c8041a0656dbfe571.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335912745.025112.thumb.jpg.6e695b37b4a266ceb8a9fb2387adcf0c.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335912771.189480.thumb.jpg.822eea221a5a023b171edac5256e8d33.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335912827.225142.thumb.jpg.08612111f08a9d3352aa90f7cb735fb0.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335912848.048490.thumb.jpg.84b43bb8bc608b8a62af3c14b6a1d3cc.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335912901.328755.thumb.jpg.7076f5fe65d817a2e07a0f8d31bb3d7f.jpg

thats awsome hiker!  :thumbsup: i have the msr kitchen cuboard but its a bit bulky and heavy for lightweight backpacking.  still goes camping with me everywhere i go. im going to make something like that, thanks for posting hiker.

thats awsome hiker!  :thumbsup: i have the msr kitchen cuboard but its a bit bulky and heavy for lightweight backpacking.  still goes camping with me everywhere i go. im going to make something like that, thanks for posting hiker.

I don't have a scale... But those two combined weigh allmost nothing.... And for the most part was free, or things that would be thrown out.

I don't have a scale... But those two combined weigh allmost nothing.... And for the most part was free, or things that would be thrown out.

im just like you hiker, 1/ 3rd of my gear is top notch, 1/3 is cheapo walmart stuff and the other third is homade.  i call it being frugal.  great stuff hiker.

well hiker inspired me to make one of those backpacking spice kits.  i made it a little smaller because i couldn't find anything to hold the straws. until i found this container in the junk drawer. it had 4 single use krazy glue tubes that id put in my first aid kits.  there all pretty much one use amounts but it would be great for that fish you caught, or the squirrel stew you made or the grasshopper enchiladas  :hugegrin:  the first picture its laying next to my two salt and pepper shakers that one of which im never without on any outing. 

005.JPG.054b46af2f742d9c74275b3d7709948e.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.5f27ec090fbcc5b9b6ef2b99c5937a5d.JPG

Nice, I'm gonna have to throw some of those together to put in the "Comfort" kit thats rides in my backpack. 

I love this kind of stuff.  Great work.

Nice, I'm gonna have to throw some of those together to put in the "Comfort" kit thats rides in my backpack. 

I love this kind of stuff.  Great work.

confort kit  :blink:  isnt that what the whole backpack and stuff thats in it is for.... :whistle: 

utherwise it would be called cavemaning... not camping  :P