WildSurvive Forum
Bigblue

Crafter's Workshop

Any other crafters get the feeling that their creations are never good enough, and that they always need improvement?

Hey watcher, you'll ALWAYS have that feeling. I remember talking to Blue one time about a knife I made and I was noticing a TEENY TINY gap on one side between the guard and the handle, you couldn't get a piece of paper in the middle, but I could see it there plain as day. Blue said that any handcrafted work will have some blemishes, it's just going to happen, but that most people won't notice it except you, the maker. And that is because we have worked with it so closely and know the project inside and out. Blue said that you just have to grow to know your level of completedness. Some people will continue with working thier piece until it is absolutely spotless, or some will allow some blemishes giving the project a more "homemade" feel. Either way, it's just going to happen.

I made this knife case for a friend of mine. He has a gerber folder which he darn near sleeps with,

but the case that came with  it literally fell apart. It's made of 7oz. tooling cow hide (belly) and laced

kangaroo lace. I stained it with some leather stain and sealed it with "super sheen" leather sealer.

The blade literally "snaps" into the case. I put the belt loop up high because I don't like knife handles that

rise above the belt line so it doesn't poke you in the ribs when you lean to one side.

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6947.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

Here's the back side of it.

IMG_6949.jpg

So, a friend of mine that I work with comes to me with this BIG ol’ knife he calls a “Kentucky Pig Sticker”. Apparently he says it’s a period correct knife, that he had attached a stag horn handle to some 20 years ago. He regularly attends black powder rifle events and “Frontier Days” sort of get togethers. So, he’s seen a couple of my leather do diddles and he asks if I can make him a period-correct knife sheath for it. He says he never had one and just sticks it in his belt. Se he lent it to me for a few weeks and here are the results.

He had inlaid a celtic knot medallion in the pommel of the handle. He’s like me, a bloody scot, so I tried to make the sheath with this theme.

IMG_6993.jpg

I made up a celtic knot on autocad, and here I have it transferred to the leather ready for tooling.

IMG_6986.jpg

Here you can see the depth of the tooling to pronounce the knots, showing which braid goes over and which under.

IMG_6999.jpg

And, voila….here is the final product.

IMG_7024.jpg

Now, he specified that he wanted to wear it at an angle on his left side, so he could cross-draw with his right hand, AND it would counter the powder horn he wears on the other side.

IMG_7018.jpg

I used a “sam brown” style button for the handle release to keep with the period.

IMG_7020.jpg

The final design work.

IMG_7021.jpg

And the back of it. You can see the copper rivets pretty good here, like the original Levi 501 jeans!

IMG_7022.jpg

One last shot…

IMG_7017.jpg

Thanks Kim! And KW I think you're right about Misty's knife. All he has to do is ask! Besides, he has alot to barter with so money would not be an issue to make one for him!

Kim, you ever want a little custom sheath for a knife or even a firesteel, you just let me know.

I like the way the loooong knife is hung on an angle on the opposite side. That is what Ill try with some of mine. I have problems with a fixed blade hanging down and getting in the way. Good design Rocky.  :thumbup:

Nice work Rocky, the sheath design and artwork turned out fabulous!  The matching celtic knot in the top of the knife handle is superb as well.  I am reminded of a LOTR comment (in the book but not the movie) when Frodo and Sam get issued "daggers make a short sword for a hobbit".

For you Razor? I mayka yoo a speshula deal! :P

I could probably throw something together for a NORMAL sized knife for about $40. This one I put here was around $80 because of the size.

Well, thickness is dependent on the project. This one I used 9-11oz vegetable tanned tooling cow hide. The kit I sent you has lots of tooling leather in it to practice. Most of those pieces are around 5-6oz, just so you get an idea.

I have access to a good supply of tooling leather so specify what you want and I'll send some to you. I can roll it up in tube mailers, I have a TON of them at work since I'm always recieving plan sets in the mail from clients.