WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oldfatguy

Wild Parsnip

I have managed to run acrosss wild parsnip twice in the last couple of years.  It is nasty stuff.  :ranting:

This link will give you some pictures and information on the stuff:

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2005/aug/030802.htm

The first time I was using a weed-eater at my parents farm wearing only short and shoes.  This managed to pretty much fry my chest, stomach and legs and it lasted for over a month.  I used hydrocortisone cream and took Benadryl, both of which helped, but the rash held on for a long time.

I found some more this spring while out geocaching.  I ended up with a large patch on the thigh and a few other spots.  Again, I used hydrocortisone cream and took Benadryl, but this stuff seemed to just keep hanging on.  Finally, I got fed up and put an ice pack on the area.  The cold felt great, reduced the welts and stopped the itching.  I figured this would be temporary but was amazed the next morning when the area had recovered remarkably.  Over the next couple of days the area finally started to heal.

What experiences have others had with this lovely addition to our local flora?   

Has anyone else tried icing the affected area?

Any other suggested treatments (yeah, I know - "STAY AWAY FROM IT")?

On a construction site on the west side of Peoria Il. I watched a laborer putting line stakes in a huge patch of parsnip. I waited a few days to see if he would break out with a terrible case of blisters. He didnt get one blister. Apparently some folks are more sensitive to it. The very worst is the weed eater and than mowers as its the juice from the plant that seems to cause the reaction. Ive had it on occasion and the blisters can get very large but they didnt itch like poison ivy or oak. 

I think the area affected is more like a chemical burn and large blisters leave a large area of burnt skin and very hard to heal.

It is strange how different people react to it.  If I get into poison ivy, poison oak or anything else, I just rub some dirt on it to absorb the oil and wash it off when I get to water.  Even if I do get some blisters, a good washing with Lava soap clears that up.

This is pretty much a chemical burn when it gets going.  I don't notice it right away (like the immediate itching with other stuff) and when it is exposed to sunlight, it gets worse.  If I get blisters from wild parsnip, they are only small ones.  It turns my skin red and itchy with lots of small bumps and welts.  At times, I will also get a small, short term reaction in other areas that were not directly exposed (like on the top of a foot or inside of my forearm).

And you are right, pulverizing the stuff with a weed-eater and spraying the juice all over is not a good thing.

Guest smallgamehunter

my daughter cut some of that the other day and kept sayin she was itchy now i know why