WildSurvive Forum

Member Horus has a large Tee Pee and he told me that winter camping is OK in a Tee Pee with the proper inner liner but he needs some one to sleep in a chair and keep the fire going all night.

I thought about this (I do that once in awhile) and I was wondering if rocks piled around the fire pit would retain enough heat to last through the night. Of course you cant have rocks exploding inside a Tee Pee so I wonder about fire bricks maybe stacked in ways of absorbing and retaining heat?

Maybe time tested rocks or pre heated to see if they will explode. Maybe heated out side and brought in.Has any one had a rock explode in a camp fire?

I've never had one explode , but I have had some crack and fall apart in my fire pit when I lit fires imediately after after days of rain. I've heard of ones taken from creeks and used for a fire pit exploding. I know a guy who caused a few people to go to the hospital here once when he built a fire next to the water on an old unused boatramp one winter. The concrete under the fire exploded and sent fragments, coals, and flaming pieces of firewood more than thirty meters away. A couple of people were seriously injured. But as long as the rocks have been allowed to dry they shouldn't explode. Rocks will retain heat for a good while after the fire dies down.

Rocks are dangerous.... use old propane tanks.... they retain the heat much better.... trust me.

Would I EVER steer you wrong, buddy?

Rick

Of course, you are just kidding about the propane tanks!  They would warm you up all right - for several seconds as you are flying through the air from the explosion!

I've never seen a rock explode, though they may crack.  Yes, rocks can retain alot of heat from the fire and then give it off during the night as the fire dies down.

I think the "exploding" rock theory is because when they do crack or break it's pretty loud! It's not like they explode like a grenade with flying shrapnel everywhere, but I have had some startle me good with a loud "crack" sound.

I have seen a river rock explode and empty the entire fire pit in the process..... do not use underground or river rocks.

and yes..... I HOPE you you thought I was kidding about the LP tanks...... lol.

I have witnessed both river rock is not good for fire ring I tried to tellem but they had to see chunks flew a good 15 feet noone was hurt as it was a semi controlled test the kids had to see to believe.

I have used my Teepee dozens of times with a foot or more of snow on the ground outside with just a plain old fire going in the middle, I have never used rocks around the fire, sleeping on a canvas tarp with animal skins on top of that it was been perftectly warm.