WildSurvive Forum

I've always carried a knife and fire kit on my belt when in the woods. Refining gear is a constantly evolving endevour for me. Here is the latest set up. Remember these are not the only items I have on me... this is just what I sport on my belt.

How bout' you?

Rick

IMG_0038.jpg

Clockwise from top left: My "Dweller" knife and sheath, Fire kit (Hudson Bay tobacco box, char, jute, waxed jute, true tinder fungus, flint, "Strife" knife, char cooker, leather pad.) Leather bag (with prepared jute, cedar bark, steel wool and a couple chunks of true tinder fungus.) Fishing kit (spiderwire, wet/dry flies, hooks and splitshot) Sewing kit (waxed nylon thread, 2 needles and an awl) 8hr tea candle, Length of jute and paracord, Firesteel, scraper and photon light and my "Ugly Pouch".

IMG_0037-2.jpg

Beautiful kit, Rick!  Looks just like something a frontiersman would carry (well, except the photon light).   :thumbup:

Right now, the only thing on my belt is my Leatherman Wave.  My typical camping/hiking stuff is at the house so I'll try to get some photos later.

The only thing hanging on my belt is my belly! :) Oh, and my stupid blackberry, and that thing is nothing more than a dog leash for work.

Cool stuff Rick! I'm with KB, the photon light can definitely be in a "what doesn't belong" article. But, then again, I can't think of anything that would be a better replacement. Also, where to you get those brass rivets Rick?

Guest smallgamehunter

my mora 2000 my military issue 1 qt canteen my vietnam issue ammo pouch that has my firemaking stuff my first aid kit and other assorted stuff

img00001i.th.jpg

Very nice looking kit Rick.

Myself...........  I usually just carry my Victorinox German Bundeswehr issue Trekker, with a BSA Hotspark tied to it.  The rest of the gear is carried in a pocket or two.

This is a hard question for me to saddress really, I hate to think about it and I have taken longer than I meant to to get back to it. Usually the only thing actually on my belt is a knife and the means to start a fire. After an accident back in the winter of 1997 I had my spine fused and my knee worked on so I got in the habit of putting things either in the pockets of a cut off BDU shirt or in a shoulder bag because for starters a belt put pressure on an area that made it uncomfortable and also because it made it easier to part with the extra weight for a few when I first started getting back into going on longer hikes again. In one way of carrying it or another I always have a fixed blade knife, a folding knife or multi tool, and at least couple of different means of starting a fire, some cordage, and a cell phone. In my area those things are usually enough. On really long hikes I take a compass just in case even though I know this area extremely well, a canteen, and some food like energy bars, or cereal bars. In my truck there is enough stuff to set up a static camp for a few days minimum at all times.

i carry my fire pounch,a fixed blade Ruko, a folding knife.....and thats about it really

This is a hard question for me to saddress really, I hate to think about it and I have taken longer than I meant to to get back to it. Usually the only thing actually on my belt is a knife and the means to start a fire. After an accident back in the winter of 1997 I had my spine fused and my knee worked on so I got in the habit of putting things either in the pockets of a cut off BDU shirt or in a shoulder bag because for starters a belt put pressure on an area that made it uncomfortable and also because it made it easier to part with the extra weight for a few when I first started getting back into going on longer hikes again. In one way of carrying it or another I always have a fixed blade knife, a folding knife or multi tool, and at least couple of different means of starting a fire, some cordage, and a cell phone. In my area those things are usually enough. On really long hikes I take a compass just in case even though I know this area extremely well, a canteen, and some food like energy bars, or cereal bars. In my truck there is enough stuff to set up a static camp for a few days minimum at all times.

I can sure relate to bad backs and pressure placed on the back by a belt.  Sorry to read you got that going on.  I carry a couple of store bought prepacks of gear in my cutoff Bundeswehr shirt pockets.  A Doug Ritter PSP and the AM Pocket Medic.  Also keep an AM Heatsheet in the inside pocket.  What I have added to the PSP are 4 Katadyn MP1 purification tablets.

I am with ya on that swede I live this kind of talk to and to hear what others carry to.    I carry a fixed blade knife, a leather man wave in a leather pouch that I made that holds it and a mini mag flashlight , then I carry a compass / first aid kit pouch with a small survival kit in it. The normal stuff that tmost carry in the pocket type survival kits.  then my keys on a carobiner and some times I carry the little hatchet that I made to. it just depends on the day. yesterday I wore but today I did not carry my hatchet.

Roving Archer how is that RUCK knife ( his knife in his avitar)  doing?

Bryan

Roving Archer how is that RUCK knife ( his knife in his avitar)  doing?

Bryan

Hey Bryan, it's my favorite edged tool.  No doubt about it.  I've carried it on a number of occassions when doing a little woods walking and here at my friends place, I've used it for a number of outdoor related chores like prepared tinder for carrying in my packs, making feather sticks for the woodstove, getting cuttings of different cacti that he has in his southwestern garden, etc.  Easy to keep sharp and the handle design works very well for me.  Not to mention I still think that it's gorgeous with the Osage handles and it's definitely gonna get better with use and age. 

Hi Bill, Glad to hear that your RUCK has been getting a work out.  Oh yea that osage is some neat wood and will age well too  :hugegrin:

Bryan

Leathermen wave ferro rod everyday but for hiking and backpacking I carry my fanny pack:

Bag of hardtack                                       Bag tinder & Lg trash bag                                        

Coffee singles                                            Tin char & Chaga                                                    

Hard candy                                               Fatwood                                                                    

Bouillon cubes                                           Torch lighter

Tea                                                            Waterproof char & tinder

GI cup, cooker                                           Fire steel

Triaxione & Estibet tabs                            Fire piston,  lube, Chaga, Tow    

GI poncho                                                  2 Fresnel lenses

LG Trash bag                                            Pencil sharpener

2’ surgical tube                                          Copper wire

Condom                                                     Picture wire

Tea lites                                                     Black tripwire

Balloons                                                      Sling

Candle                                                        Hand sanitizer wrapped in Gorilla tape

Lightstick                                                   Fishing kit

Compass                                                     Dental Floss

2 Flares                                                       Diamond hone

Small torch                                                  Mora ss

2 Pieces Hacksaw blade

Mini Buck

Seal Pup

S6303172.jpg

and for backup a look into my trunk:

survivortrunk.jpg

Overkill yes I must admit

There is no such thing as over kill. There has been several times Ive used things from my stuff in my truck so its not always emergency equipment.

I agree, no such thing as overkill when it comes to preparations and kit.  Eventually kits have a way of changing, as I use them and figure out that I don't really need a specific item, because of size and weight, or I inact the woods walking kit replacement clause and go with a more practical piece of equipment.   :hugegrin: