WildSurvive Forum
Guest Lead Dog

Bear Bells

Guest Lead Dog

Does anyone that spends time in bear country use bells or anything else to make noise to alert bears to your presence?  I bought a bell for my pack a few years ago, but I rarely use it because it annoys me.  Given I don't move as stealthily as a jungle cat, stay on marked trails, and have only seen three black bears (all at long distances), I don't feel I need one.

Does anyone around here use them?  For brown bears vs. black bears?  Does time of year matter?

I do use bear bells that I make myself. but I use them at night on a black thread ringing my camp sight. During the day I may put a smaller version as bears have real good hearing and you may not need a really noisy one but it is up to you.

Put them at ankle height and with each step tinkle tinkle

I also carry bear spray.

Excellent thread Lead Dog

I dont tend to carry a bear bell when I am in the woods, thou I have a local black bear that likes to drink at the pond next to my house. We see him a couple of times a week, and with the local construction in VT and NH, I am seeing more of them. But I DO keep a metal cup and travel mug handy to bang together if need be.

Like you, I just find carrying a bell truly annoying.

One thing that I thought of is that you could put some bear bells on you hiking staff and they would sound of at every contact stroke or on you packs bottom strap away from your ears.

Guest adrenjunky

I never have. But when in bear country I do carry a 44mag.

Up here we can't carry a pistol unless your work discription calls for it (very few), the rest of us have to make due with sprays, bells, prayers, and on occasion a "cruiser" if the situation is real bad, but you have to justify it. The CO's and LEO's are paranoid about it.

Guest adrenjunky

Maybe it's because I am from the States but I just don't understand that.

Guest adrenjunky

It will happen here too, just a matter of time, hopefully not in my lifetime. :curse:

Here in the UK we have a wonderful old tradition of Morris Dancers, it originates from Pagan times and the dancers are part of many pagan festivals and are important to ward of evil spirits.

Morris%20Dancers1.gif

I think this would be a wonderful way to dress and act in bear country and in fact we used to have bear in oldie England and just maybe that is the true origin of the Morris Dancer

I would hate to get "snaped" by one of those wet towels.

They say you can recognise grizzly bear scat by the smell of pepper and the little bells in it.

LOST is right don't rely on bear bells alone pepper spray is quite good as a deterrent.

Guest taken by the wind...

I would hate to get "snaped" by one of those wet towels.

They say you can recognise grizzly bear scat by the smell of pepper and the little bells in it.

LOST is right don't rely on bear bells alone pepper spray is quite good as a deterrent.

Not if you're down wind!  :rofl: :rofl:

adi my friend i must say,, you one funny guy,,, i have got to get together with you my friend...lol

bear bells?

44 magnums?

spray?

:woot: you guys are making me nervous about going into the bush,,,,

i sat with a bear one time, and learned many things from him,, even  what season to eat and make clover tea,, it was a good learning time,, i watched him show me, how to pick the plant, and how methodical and sensitive  he could be with this little plant,,this one lesson  i shall never forget,,,,i learnt alot of ideas and lessons from bears,,, i was really  amazed,,

being a guy who use to guide for bears,, now,,,,,,,,i prefer to make them my friends!!

incidentally,,does anyone,, ,know when clover tea time is?

i think its may,,,,but, i could be wrong!

Bow - I learned to make clover tea when the first bloosoms appear... usually in the beginning of May (depending on your location.... up here its late May).

Guest blacksmith

I like a good shotgun it well ring and bear do not eat you when you have it most of the time

The evidence isn't completely conclusive yet, but recent experiments in the field strongly suggest that bear bells are not effective for alerting bears to one's presence or approach and so do not prevent one from surprising a bear, and not just for human-habituated bears either.  More specifically, when tested, bears show no response at all to the sound of the bear bells. 

Here's a link to a very entertaining and instructive talk by bear behavior expert Dr. Tom Smith on the subject of how bears respond to the presence of humans and human activity.  He also speaks at length about how one should conduct oneself when in bear country. He debunks a lot of widely repeated misconceptions about how to drive off bears or prevent an unpleasant encounter. At 46:05 he talks about his Bear bell study:

In light of this new data, I would leave the bells at home so you won't have to endure that incessant jingling sound.  :ack:

Hope this helps,

- Martin