WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gr8outdrsmn

Photos from a short hike, lots of edibles found and deer trails (LOTS OF PHOTOS!

Went on a short hike today with my father and we found LOTS of edibles while we were out. Also found some good deer trails/signs and quite a bit of scat.

Started out running across this little guy that didn't mind us being within 15 feet of him. He just kept munching away, haha.

IMG_1087.jpg

Came across these on part of the trail

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

A nice deer trail we came upon

IMG_1096.jpg

There are literally thousands of these plants in this field. Anyone know what they are? They look like tiny wild tomatoes...

IMG_1098.jpg

More dandelions than I could count

IMG_1101.jpg

What is this? and is it edible? haha

IMG_1103.jpg

Found this interesting plant

IMG_1110.jpg

Here is the flower on the plant, one of the pods cut open, and a small pod starting out. Any idea as to what it is and if it is edible?

IMG_1109.jpg

Then we hit the MOTHERLOAD! Look at the size of this blackberry patch! This is only a small portion of it. It is easily 75 yards long and 50 wide at its narrowest point.

IMG_1115.jpg

More to come in 2nd post...

A closeup on the berries of the large patch.

IMG_1117.jpg

Thought this was a nice tree near one end of the patch.

IMG_1121.jpg

Decent track leading up to the berry patch

IMG_1123.jpg

and some scat (one of MANY piles I found from various creatures, mostly deer)

IMG_1135.jpg

Something for the ladies, haha.

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Thought this was pretty neat. LOTS of spiders in there.

IMG_1137.jpg

One of many buck rubs I came across. Most were older, but there is evidence of a large buck still around.

IMG_1142.jpg

Though this was pretty awesome looking.

IMG_1144.jpg

Here I am with a neat find in the background.

IMG_1156.jpg

An old hay shed, with some corn husks in it.

IMG_1161.jpg

The inside of it.

IMG_1163.jpg

Dad

IMG_1164.jpg

An OLD log cabin that had siding put on throughout its life.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Tiny old bottle I found

IMG_1177.jpg

and another (dad found 2 of these)

IMG_1208.jpg

Remnants of a MASSIVE barn, old and newer sections, that burned

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

And the coolest thing we found, a natural spring that the settlers here used. We have a GOOD water source if anything should ever happen.

IMG_1206.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Cool pictures Brian, thanks for sharing them. Looks like you'll have enough blackberries for jelly, jam, and some cbbler and pie...if all the competition doesn't eat them first that is.

Thanks. haha, yeah i checked the deer scat and there were quite a few remnants of berries in there. Just have to get my bow going and thin out the competition, haha.

Hey Gr8, awesome pics!  What kind camera are you using?

The picture 7th from the top that you asked if it was edible is Poke Weed, EXTREMELY POISONOUS, don't even look at it funny... :P

Thanks for sharing, looks like an awesome place, where is this at as in State if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks SK. The camera is a Canon Powershot A590IS http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B0011ZCDKS. Great little camera for the money; and is excellent for toting around in the field when I don't want to carry my 30D and lenses.

I am in South Carolina. It is HOT, MUGGY, and covered in MOSQUITOES haha. Believe it or not, this area is surrounded by houses and a school, but hardly anyone ever gets in there.

There are even coyotes in here, I believe they stay under that old log cabin because I hear them every time I get near that house. We heard them yipping a little today when we were out there. It's wild. One day I will catch them with the camera, one day, haha.

EDIT: It helps to put "hotlink" tags around a link instead of "image" tags. They just don't work as well,  :hugegrin:

Thanks SK. The camera is a Canon Powershot A590IS

We have the same name, both like knives, and the same camera?? Are you copying me ?!  :P

Yup polkweed yup definitely not edible.

The green water melon looking berries are poisonous and their name escapes me. They turn yellow in the fall. Im old.  :cry:  Ill think of it when Im not thinking.  :unsure:

Great find on the old home stead. A few ghosts around there.  Yipping coyotes are probably pups this time of the year.

The bigger fruit thing I have no idea.

Yup polkweed yup definitely not edible.

The green water melon looking berries are poisonous and their name escapes me. They turn yellow in the fall. Im old.  :cry:  Ill think of it when Im not thinking.  :unsure:

Great find on the old home stead. A few ghosts around there.  Yipping coyotes are probably pups this time of the year.

The bigger fruit thing I have no idea.

The bigger "fruit thing" is passion plant. The have a beautiful bloom before they turn into that ball of fruit.

Is it nightshade Swede?

Number 5 picture is night shade... or better known as "pig weed"

The small "tomato-looking" plant IS Nightshade.

Makes a fine jam or jelly and goes great in a pie................. IF YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH!!

Don't eat this stuff, you'll regret that meal.

As for the Pokeweed - http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Pokeweed.html

( I took a couple of Wild Edibles courses from Dr. Steve Brill a while back while living in upstate NY.)

Great photos!  Yup, poke berries ain't fer eatin'!  "Poke salad" is something everyone around here has grown up around, but I don't care for it.

Thanks everyone!

My Peterson Field Guide to Edible Plants and my Medicinal Plants guides just arrived in the mail.  So, now I should be able to (hopefully) correctly identify these plants.

I started to work on a video for the bamboo firesaw after that hike, but it started to rain and I had no way to keep my camera dry. It was a nice slippery 100-120 yard sprint in the rain on wet bamboo leaves to get back to a dry area, haha.

The little white flowers with the purple centers looks like the little morning glory's we have growing around here.

Great photos!  Yup, poke berries ain't fer eatin'!  "Poke salad" is something everyone around here has grown up around, but I don't care for it.

I happen to like polk salad....and I love the stalks rolled in flour and corn meal and fried such as Ocra is fried, but care has to be taken when cooking. It has been my experience that in some traditional mountain recipes for the greens will be boiled thrice...fresh water each boil. In other recipes they are simply parboiled and then fried in some bacon grease and then an egg scrambled in with it. However while I have eaten the stalks and greens several times in my life, it should be stated that scientists argue against this stating that traces of the poison remain even after boiled thrice. I am not dead yet...but I don't eat it on a regular basis either....just once every couple of years lately, though I pick it regularly for one of my aged neighbors and she isn't dead yet either...she is about to turn seventy-two I believe.