WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Family pictures

Wow thats a great bunch of turkeys there. Living near town has its advantages as hawks owls and coyotes are hard on the ones at the farm.

For all of those of you that might have been wondering, the turkey family I posted pictures of earlier this summer is still going strong. They seem to like my backyard every day around 4:00-4:30 in the afternoon. 

There were 12 little ones with the two hens when we first saw them, now there are 12 total. You can still identify the one hen that is part albino with white on here wings and back, and if you look closely, you can find the other, which is only a little bigger than the "babies".  If you watch closely, you can start to tell the hens from the toms - the toms have more skin on their necks and head and it is a little darker red than the hens.  I have not noticed any beards yet.

There were a total of 12 out there this afternoon, so the survival rate is pretty good for this brood. Here they are on their visit this afternoon.

TurkeyFamily.thumb.jpg.52b5228158dcfd69aa8946357b78e15a.jpg

I think they call part albino piebald.

Thats great the youngens are doing so well. Our bunch has been taking some major hits this year from hawks, owls and coyotes.

The turkey family was hanging at the neighbor's house this morning.  There were 11 in the group the morning and a couple checked out the tree.  It was amazing to see these big birds take a hop, flap their wings 3-4 times and land gently 20 feet up in the tree.  I caught one on the way back down.

Turkeys_003a.thumb.jpg.34aa388332d5d358fbae2b4bfca4a179.jpg

Turkeys_006a.thumb.jpg.ea56c5af2c8477755a3d0c8f5ee95c63.jpg

Frost on the pumpkin out there. Turkeys like flat limbs like that for roosting they must have been checking it out. Some good eats right there.  :dribble: 

The family of turkeys is still doing well, even with the nasty weather we had last week.  I saw them the last two mornings roosting in the trees near my house.  There are 10 in this picture, but at least one other was in the next tree over.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Heres a question. How can a bird sleep and hang onto a limb at the same time? Or how come when they go to sleep they dont fall out of the tree?  :hmm:

they have a locking tendon on their spurs that allow them to grip without using any energy

Close enough. A birds foot closes in stead of opening. Where human hands partially close naturally a birds foot closes completely when relaxed. They have to force their feet open. Notice dead birds their feet are closed. Good answer.    :thumbup:

makes sense now that i think about it, they always have closed feet on the ones i shoot

Interesting info, Swede, thanks.  Even though their feet are "locked", there still has to be some mental/physical activity going on to maintain balance as the branches sway in the wind.  Otherwise, they'd be hanging upside down with they wake up.

The turkey family was roosting in the trees directly behind my house this morning. When my wife left for work, they woke up and decided it was time for a little breakfast.  Here they are haning around on the far side of the shed next to my house. 

There were two of the young toms practicing their strutting, which was fun to watch. When I called from my truck, 5-6 headed right over for me and the two toms had to show off.

I counted 11 this morning.

Turkeys12_17_09_007a.thumb.jpg.7c05438bad451b36604827195086183a.jpg

Turkeys12_17_09_010a.thumb.jpg.f39ec7f266e317df32d369b5d4a75ebd.jpg

im coming to your place.......i didnt see this many when i was out with my shotgun this year!

Looks like you have a piebald one in the mix Fat Guy. You need to go to some farmers grain bins and ask him if you can pick up some of the corn hes spilled and feed those critters.

SG - the piebald one is one of the momies.  If you look at the earlier pictures from this spring, you'll see her there too. 

Right now, that field they are in is pretty well stocked. The farmer ridge tills that, and when its combined, he misses the bottom one or two pods on each of the bean plants.  They have been up to the bird feeder in front of my house as well.

The turkey family is still doing well this winter.  Here they were on Saturday, all 11 up on the road.

Also, a group of pheasants was feeding in the field next to my house.  They didn't hang around long when I went out to take their picture.

Turkeys.thumb.jpg.6af0fa6f729841a1c18df30fb2e2ce2b.jpg

Pheasants.thumb.jpg.5e795b7aba7e4725460c46d2053a6f23.jpg

Pheasants2.thumb.jpg.b830e0b9a80efb87291e0cb9ebbfd6f6.jpg