WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Can You Cook On A Flat Rock

This is a green granet (thats what I call it) flat rock I found on a construction site. Its probably an artifact used by Native Americans. Will it explode? Well see.

Washed the rock>

rockcooking002.jpg

rockcooking003.jpg

Olive oil on the rock>

rockcooking004.jpg

Bannock>

rockcooking005.jpg

Put the cover on the grill>

rockcooking006.jpg

The rock wasnt hot enough yet so I flipped it over>

rockcooking008.jpg

The bannock is done so now Ill try a burger. I might as well grill some more while Im at it>

rockcooking009.jpg

The rock is hot enough now as the burger is sizziling>

rockcooking010.jpg

Almost done I flip it over>

rockcooking011.jpg

Dinner is served>

rockcooking014.jpg

Can you cook on a flat rock? YOU BETCHA!

Nice job Swede. Looks delicious. I wonder who I could convince to carry a rock like that in their pack to cook on......

You might be able to find one if you camp next to a stream or lake. Otherwise its priorities. You may have to leave your water bottle or tent.  :yes:

Did the burger cooked on the rock taste any different than the others that weren't?

Other than the fact it was more of a fried burger than a grilled one no it wasnt much different and I didnt get sick.  :D

You might be able to find one if you camp next to a stream or lake. Otherwise its priorities. You may have to leave your water bottle or tent.  :yes:

True....but wouldn't it be more fun to watch someone carry it? 

True....but wouldn't it be more fun to watch someone carry it? 

Yep...right up to the point that they get fed up and throw it at you  :hugegrin:

I think were off track with the point of being able to cook on a rock. In a survival situation if you dont have cooking pans or pots you have an option to find and use a rock to cook on. If you want to carry one from home you might find it easier carrying a lighter cooking pan. Jeese>  :nono:    ;)

Rocks are very useful in cooking.  Not only can you cook on them, but smaller ones can be used to cook with or boil water.  That is a really nice flat rock you found Swede.  I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open.

How was the bannock? How long did it take for the rock to get to cooking temp? Would it be roughly twice that long without a cover do you think?

How was the bannock? How long did it take for the rock to get to cooking temp? Would it be roughly twice that long without a cover do you think?

Woops I didnt see your question Mist. In the grill if it wasnt for the lid it would take quite a while because its a small gas grill. However on a camp fire on hot coals it shouldnt take long. In fact if a rock were to crack a camp fire is much hotter.

The bannock cooked well with the lid on and I didnt try any without the lid however I used self rising flour with baking powder and it was a little salty. (Make note maybe add a little sugar and regular flour.)I ate it any way.  :P