WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frostie

Tarp?

Thinking of getting a tarp. What size and material? Want to use it for rain/sun protection when camping and throw it in the day pack when hiking. Usally two people but some times four.

Looking at.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442505747&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302702975&bmUID=1160527627593

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442505763&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302702975&bmUID=1160525299614

Both tarps are available in both sizes and material.

Scout 2.1x2.9 (7'x 9'6") polyester (700g) $35 silicone (438g) $64

Guide 2.9m x 3.9 (9'6" x 12'10") polyester (1.1kg) $52 silcone (786g) $105

Are they any good? What size? Is the silicone worth the extra money. Something else better? Or just stick with a walmart tarp?

One thing that turned me against the silicone impregnated tarps and ponchos is that the ones I looked at, the manufacturer didn't warrant against UV damage, so I'm assuming that extended use will result in UV damage of a silicone tarp.

If those are your choices, I'd opt for the one that is large enough to be useful in a variety of shelter configurations, but also is the tougher of the two.  For my money, I believe that I would choose the Guide, non silicone tarp.  It's heavy, but worth it I think.

I would have to agree with RovingArcher that the Guide (non-silicon) would be the better of your choices (and easier on the wallet then the silicon option). 

When it comes down to the silicon coating being more flexible or durable, I'm not sure that is entirely true.

I can vouch that after almost a decade with my MEC lightfield tent, which has the same ripstop nylon waterproof fly (basically the same material as the non silicon tarp) that the ripstop material will stand up to pretty much any abuse.  The fly has been used as a tarp and propped up by poles, and paddles.  The tent and fly has supported over 2 feet of snow without collapsing, or ripping.  And is still manages to keep me bone dry in the heaviest rains

So the extra durability and elasticity that the silicon offers, may not be worht the extra 50 bucks,

Cheers --

Dave469, in a million words yes, need mosq.net, smudge, or deet but with deet make sure the nylon sleeping bag doesn't melt.

AJ used one of those Sportsman blanket in Nov. was pretty warm all night (in a tent) even though it snowed, really impressed. Of course thatwas when I was younger now I have arthritist(sp)would need a bit more insulation.

no-seeum netting is available and can be suspended around you, like a mosquito net in the tropics.  I havn't picked any up yet, but will eventually if time allows.  That or hope that it's a mild fall/winter when the bugs are sleeping. :hugegrin:

We have been very lucky with the west nile virus in our area so far only a few cases, but netting is almost a must in the spring and early summer.

Ardenjunky- Thanks for the sugestion. I have one like that. It worked great when I camped withe the scouts and was cold at night.Used to put it on top of my sleeping bag. I want to keep it for that use.

What I am looking for is a trap to get out of the weather under( sit, cook etc.) that is easier to pack. Does anyone you those types of tarps?

Bug netting is avaliable at mec.ca in the tent section. Also available is hammocks with tarps.

After a bit of thinking I grew less concerned with mosquitos and black flies and grew more concerned about ticks. Without walls or a floor the ticks would have nothing stopping them from infiltrating your sleep.

For skeeters and deer ticks I use Repel Plant-Based Lemon-Eucalyptus rub on repellent.  It cost $5.00 @ WalMart in the Sporting Goods section for a 4oz. bottle.  I don't like putting Deet on me, period.

I have also mixed eucalyptus and citronella essential oils 50/50 and put it in a bottle with 25% distilled water and then sprayed that on, which works well also.

I believe Cutter's makes one without Deet also.