WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

A New Firesteel (An Unexpected gift)

Well...my little F.O.K. found a temporary home today. Some time back a cool friend offered to send me some bamboo that was different that what I had on hand locally to work with. I wanted to try it out for fire starting and some other things.

At the first of the week I got the package but was pretty busy with a couple of other projects and at the same time taking pain meds that made we feel too worn down to do much other than work. Tonight I finally got around to opening the box just to check it out and found a surprise inside. Not only did he send some bamboo of various diameters...Some even pretested, I'm guessing so I can't say it's the bamboo if I don't get flame lol.

IMG_5404.jpg

but he also sent a firesteel.com firesteel and a striker! Thanks man for both!

IMG_5394.jpg

Well...not being one with a lot of patience I decided to give the new firesteel a go tonight. Man, this thing really throws some molten burning chunks of metal!

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

Since I had recently been given another small kit tool. and had also found a few odds and ends....I found twelve feet of cordage and a tensioner on the last trip to the woods, along with 24 feet of 1/2" webbing...I decided to try to incorporate them together. Several people have brought up and made drill bit case fishing kits lately so I thought why not see what I could do with this stuff. Now my shiny new (two year old) drill bit doesn't have a protective home anymore but I'll think of something....the darn thing did cost like $20.00 after all, anyway...this is what I put together so far and still have some room for some alcohol prep pads and maybe a couple more things as the kit is literally expandable.

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

The piece of wood the fishing line is wrapped around is whittled out of fatwood

IMG_5405.jpg

This is what it looks like next to my knife and the 24 feet of webbing, not bad for the amount of room it takes up. Here is only has one of the metal containers in it...will expand more than enough to hold the other one.

IMG_5413.jpg

Thanks Tonk, but now re-read because when I coppied off of note pad I didn't realize I missed half of it  oops.gif . I just now saw that and added the first half back in  :hugegrin:

Excellent, mistwalker!  I love the kit! 

Thanks Holly. I am still going to add more to it....I was just trying to find a home for some of the things I have been given and some of the things I have found lately, and that's what's come of it so far.

That's a mighty fine firesteel ya got there  :hugegrin:. Hope the bamboo works out for ya, Good luck!

Thanks man! I can't wait to try the bamboo if it's ever not raining when I have the time to try. Wettest, coolest July I remember!

great stuff there.

Thanks Kim  :)

Guest smallgamehunter

nice to see a drill bit tube also makes a good edc kit

i like that you used fatwood to make the fishing line holder. ive made those a dozen times and never thought once to use fatwood. great idea mist.  even two years later im still learning great stuff on this forum  :thumbup: