WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Validating Survival Instructors

There appears to be a movement around the internet about all the self proclaimed survival experts that are offering questionable advice.

We get questions from time to time about edible plants, drinking water safety, bear encounters,stuff like that. Most answers either come from personal knowledge or from information we can find on the net.

Maybe its time to discuss the dangers of providing information to the public that could cause serious injury to some one as we get quests reading our content daily.

I saw a "are you a survivor" question thing on the net one time where you answer their questions about survival related stuff. One question was what do you do if you come onto a bear on the trail. Their answer was totally wrong as to what is common advice you can find any where else plus what I have done in person when I came face to face with a bear.

Another question some where else asked "What is the most dangerous animal in the woods?" Their answer was "White tail deer." WTF!

The "mosquito" is the correct answer as they are responsible for more deaths than any other animal on the planet.

Has any one encountered any other questionable stuff like that?

Is there any thing you have seen on the net that has questionable information?

Ron Hood tells me they have posts where members are giving or finding bad medical advice.

It's prevalent all over the Internet, Swede.  You type in what ails you and you get all kinds of advice on how to fix it.  Some of it may be good advice and some of it can kill you.

What concerns me the most is that some people profess to having certain medical degrees when in fact they are not licensed by any state or government boards.  Anyone can cut and paste a degree from the Internet!  It's scary.

As for the survival "experts" who run survival courses or dispense advice online, I wouldn't accept anything as Gospel unless I knew for sure that they were licensed in some way, such as with the Red Cross or other health care organization.  I'd also check their references and make sure that somebody I trust and respect have vouched for them.  :yes:

There pinning down some of the stuff out there on a few of the survival sites. Some of the crap Bear Grilis put out on his first show for instance.

Getting out of a shelter in the middle of the night and running down the hill through the woods to get away from a bear is a good example of terrible advice. You cant see and the bear can. He can out run you in less than a dozen steps and your chances of hitting a tree head on in the dark are pretty good.

Any way thats the point. We need to be very careful what we post. I think we are doing a good job here so far but we need to keep watch for bad advice on posts.

Like offering advice for 15 year olds going solo camping  ???

Hate to have to add a disclaimer to all your posts with info in them.

There is a lot of bad info out there.

Well...not sure there is a certification as a survival "expert" per say....however there are certifications as survival "instructors" if from no other legitimate place then from the military.

Is there any certification for "survival experts" or can anyone proclaim themselves the holder of that title?

~ The only people who can claim the title of Survival Expert, are those folks who are greater than 90 years old.   :arigato:

and remember... (This is wisdom from one of my kids)  "Old people do not drive slow, it's just that the people who drive slow are the only ones who live to be old."    :hugegrin:

(sorry Holly).    happy100.gif

A good outdoors instructor should be licensed and insured in the state that they operate out of. If I was looking for a reputable outdoors class that would be the first thing I would check for.

Another thought is what you want from the school. Some teach primitive skills and tracking, some teach you more modern skills like compass and map reading.   

There are some people who would be considered outdoors experts. Those people rarely if ever address themselves by that title.

Read my disclaimer down there  .

Just keep in mind that this very fact is something the "mods" should keep a vigilant eye on. It's one thing to have a member give their opinion on what "they" would do, but someone starting a thread about what someone "should" do is something that I personally, as a mod, would be researching. Now, of course it wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction and simply pull the thread, but mods should be looking for stuff like that, researching it, and then make a sound decision whether it would stay or go. It's our responsibility to not let frivolous information be loosely thrown around here. So far, I haven't seen that happen, we have a very educated and responsible set of mods on this web site.

There are some people who would be considered outdoors experts. Those people rarely if ever address themselves by that title.

Good point MP. Also, keep in mind that the term "outdoors" is relative. Experts are limited to thier knowldedge of their own experiences. Example, put an Eskimo in the Sahara, or a Masai warrior on the Tibetan Plateau.....both experts in their environment, but remove the familiar and their "expertise" just became void.

I could give great advice on how to survive in a conifer forest or "high" desert environment, but I would be useless in the everglades or Louisiana swamp and could only survive on wits and determination.

and remember... (This is wisdom from one of my kids)  "Old people do not drive slow, it's just that the people who drive slow are the only ones who live to be old."    :hugegrin:

(sorry Holly).    happy100.gif

Taken, I WAS driving slow, for your sake! :yes:

You should see me when I'm driving my normal speed.   Pedal to da metal!  :grin:

Guest smallgamehunter

for the most part i see members here posting to threads they have experience with

i think for the most part we keep all the frivilous info off this site cause we all speak from experience and learn from each other

From where I sit, it is up to the individual asking the question, to make sure that the answers received are researched for their validity & practiced, prior to having the need arise where their application is required.  There is such a wide variety of possibilities to every scenario, due to differing environments & possible scenarios within the scenario posted in the original question, because of differing terrains, fuel, food and water available, skill level of the individual, tools carried, etc. 

Would it be worth it to post a thread where members can post odd (bad) info that they have found?. The reason for this is so we could look it over as a group and use it as a learning tool.

You should see me when I'm driving my normal speed.  Pedal to da metal!  :grin:

Of course, you DO know that she's referring to her "banana seat" bicycle with the little "bling bling" bell on the handle.

Of course, you DO know that she's referring to her "banana seat" bicycle with the little "bling bling" bell on the handle.

You aren't making fun of my sapphire blue sparkle-paint Huffy, with the chopper handlebars and matching sapphire blue sparkly grips with the blue and white plastic streamers hanging down, are you?

Would it be worth it to post a thread where members can post odd (bad) info that they have found?. The reason for this is so we could look it over as a group and use it as a learning tool.

Pete,

You have a good idea here.  :thumbup:

You aren't making fun of my sapphire blue sparkle-paint Huffy, with the chopper handlebars and matching sapphire blue sparkly grips with the blue and white plastic streamers hanging down, are you?

Uh yep, that's the one. Except I stole the clothes pin and king of hearts to put in MY spokes! :)