WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KentuckyWoodsman

Tool Kits

I know most people do not think of hand tools (screwdrivers, small pliers, etc) as an item needed for survival. I think a lot of people take for granted the multitool hanging on there side and don't fully realize just how much help it could be in survival situation. My family and I just got back from a vacation where I encountered a situation where a simple Phillips screwdriver would have been a very  handy thing to have had. We had planned and packed for about any situation we thought we could encounter. I had my PSK and we had packed for about any small medical situation we thought could arise. I even had  my multitool with me UNTIL we went through the security check point. I had completely forgot to put it in my suitcase when we got out of the truck. We had already checked our luggage so there was no way to get it in my suitcase. So I ended up taking it back to the truck that was parked in long term parking. That one mistake could have been one that cost me greatly had any major situation arose. I really did end up needing it, but not for a life or death situation. So if you find yourself traveling via airline it would pay you (and ME) to pack an extra multitool. You never know when it could say your life (or make you look like a hero in your kids eyes) :thumbup:

I usually have my Leatherman wave and bit kit either on me or not too far away . The bit kit comes in handy and the bits are pretty strong.

KW, I did the exact same thing at the airport with my Swiss Army knife!  I completely forgot it was in my purse, where I always keep it.  I had to get an envelope and stamps at the airport to mail it back home.  I use that knife all the time too, and I really missed it while I was on vacation. :yes:

I hated not having either my Leatherman or my SAK (yeah, I carry both every day...) when we got on that plane, KW.  I read the TSA's info several times to be sure of what I was allowed to pack into our checked luggage (did you know you can pack the biggest of blades into your checked luggage...including SWORDS?).  I got them out of the luggage as soon as we got to the rental car.