WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
taken by the wind...

Navigating the Cold medicine Isle

The Cold and Allergy Medicine isle is one of the LONGEST and most confusing places to be....   :blink:

NOT anymore.  :smoke:  Every Box you see..... whether it's a Cold medicine or an Allergy medicine, pretty much has one of these ingredients (that I'm about to tell you about)  listed on it. ALL of these Medicines are designed to do ONE thing, and ONE thing only, relieve symptoms.  None of these medicines can CURE the common cold, nor can they CURE allergies. They can ONLY relieve your symptoms.  Whether they say Multi-Symptom Cold  Severe FLU formulas, Severe Allergy Formula, or Cough and Cold............  THEY ALL CONTAIN ONE OR SEVERAL OF THESE INGREDIENTS AND THAT'S ALL THEY CONTAIN. NONE OF THEM CAN CURE COLD OR FLU. They can be used interchangebly depending on your SYMPTOMS. A flu medication might be perfect for your allergy symptoms and so forth.  So.....  start looking at the SIMILAR ingredients these formulas contain, and you can see which ones might help you. In the end you should be able to greatly DOWNSIZE your medicine cabinet.    :thumbsup:

YOUR MISSION, is to figure out what symptoms are bothering you, and find a medicine that helps that.

Taken's Symptom Chart:    :P

1. IF you have a runny nose,  (snot is dripping out of your nose everytime you bend your head forward, OR if your eyes are itching, and red, then you need something with an Antihistamine in it. (See antihistamines below)

2. IF you can't Breathe through your nose no matter how hard you try.... you blow your nose and NOTHING comes out, you try to breathe and your nostrils just stick together...  you are probably miserable, and you need a DECONGESTANT. (The best ones are nasal sprays... metered dose pump types) get the 12 hour kind (you will NOT get addicted to it.) If you look at all the different ones you'll see that they all contain Oxymetazoline HCL, so buy the cheapest kind with that in it. Stear clear of SINEX sometimes it has something different in it and you can get a rebound effect from it causing you to need to use it over and over.  IF you don't LIKE nasal Spray....  then go with a cold medicine that contains a Decongestant. Psuedoephedrine is the most common decongestant available. It's in Many cold formulas, but most formulations that contain this VERY effective decongestant are kept behind the counter nowadays... (because drug dealers use it to make METH.) Don't worry.... it has to be re-formulated into a new molecule for that to occur.  8|  Either way, it's a great decongestant. My favorite is Clariton D. You just sign for it, and give them your name etc. The pharmaciy computors hook up all over town, and they know when somebody is buying WAY too much of it.  happy061.gif  ASK For it. If your only symptom is a stuffy nose (congestion) you can just buy Sudafed, but again, it's behind the Pharmacy counter (you just have to ask for it.) .  :thumbup:  OR you can buy nasal spray (MY fav. cause it works in like 5 minutes).

3. IF you have a hacking cough that's keeping you up at night, you need a cough suppressent.   Dextromethorphan is like the ONLY cough suppressant in ALL over-the-counter cough medicines ever since soccer-moms made such a big deal out of alcohol being in cold medicines.  :thumbdown:  For YEARS, Alcohol was the number one cough suppresant in cold formulas. Nyquil used to contain a whopping 16% Alcohol.....  you took a shot of Nyquil, (with that antihistamine in it)  and by the time you woke up, your cold was gone.  :thumbup: :whistle:  Alcohol can STILL be a VERY effective cough remedy for kids.  1/2 cup of honey mixed with the juice of one lemon mixed with a shot of Bourbon was a remedy given by Pediatricians to moms for years that many kids grew up with. Worked like a charm. Just mix it up, and shake it very well, and give about two teaspoons every 4 hours. Way better than over the counter cough meds. Alcohol used to be the number one ingredient in VICKS Forumula 44 cough syrup for kids.  So don't let the current prejudice against alcohol sway you away from the medicinal qualities of it. It's a great cough suppressant. IF you insist on an Over-the-counter one, DELSYM is the best in my opinion. It contains Dextromethorphan like all the rest, but it's in suspension, so shake it really well. REMEMBER..... post nasal drip (cured by an antihistamine) can ALSO create a hacking night time cough, so if you cough at night you might need an antihistamine AND a cough suppressant.  :thumbup:

Side Note:  Anyone ADULT OR CHILD  who has a productive cough (Productive meaning you're coughing up a spoonful of mucus every few hours) needs to see a doctor. Most coughs are caused by irritation from post nasal drip. but if you're coughing up stuff like I mentioned above, you may have pneumonia. you don't want to suppress THAT cough.  :nono:  You want to suppress the hacking non-productive tickling kind of cough that's keeping you up at night.

4. IF you have thick secretions that are hard to cough up, just drink more water.  You can only hydrate thick secretions from the inside out. Expectorants like Guaifenesin claim to help, but are worthless. There is NO clinical evidence that they work. I've never seen them work. Notice in the definitions below, that's the one that says "Is thought to work" NO evidence to back that claim up. Don't pay for it.  :smoke:

That's about ALL the ingredients in HUNDREDS of cold and allergy medicines......  So just look for the medicine you need, and buy only what you need. They are packaged in many ways, but the ingredients are the same.

The Pain relievers are the only thing left.

5. IF you have Pain.....  or fever, you may need a pain/fever reliever. You can buy them mixed in or separate.  If you drink beer, or alcohol, steer clear of ACETAMINOPHEN. If that drug had to pass FDA today, it wouldn't. It's great for kids, as long as you do not give more than directed. And do not give an adult dose. Acetaminophen is a great pain reliever, but it is NOT an anti-inflamatory, so it's NOT the best choice for pain associated with an Earache (which is acutally a tiny muscle spasm in the middle ear), nor is it good for any pain associated with inflamation.

Ibuprofen is the BEST pain reliever for pain associated with an earache, or any pain associated with inflamation. BOTH Acetaminophen (tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Motrin) are great for fever. They are good when used alternately. If you read the boxes, you'll see that most pain relievers are one of these two things. Acetominophen or Ibuprofen, or Asprin. Never give Asprin to a child with flu-like symptoms. (PEPTO BISMOL has asprin in it, so do not give it to kids,) they can develop Reyes syndrom .... a rare but serious complication that can occur if they take Asprin during flu-like symptoms.  So for pain, in a nutshell, if you're an adult, take whatever works the best for you. Unless you drink alcohol, then stick to Motrin or any other pain reliver that doesn't contain Acetaminophen (Your liver can be injured).

Here's a rundown of just about every drug you'll find on hundreds of boxes. Just keep in mind that no matter HOW many boxes you see on that isle.... they ALL contain just a few ingredients.  So read the labels and make an informed choice. (And always buy the drugstore brand if its cheaper) if it has what you need.  :thumbsup: 

Happy Shopping!  :wave:

.        ACETAMINOPHEN: a pain reliever and fever reducer for treatment of minor non-inflammatory conditions. An advantage is that it can be used in persons who are prone to 

stomach upset, which may occur with ibuprofen.

.        DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE :  Benedryl.  (Great antihistamine for runny nose/itchy eyes, insect bites, take a dose for any life-threatening anaphylactic reaction (bee 

stings etc.  and go to the hospital. Great med to have around your house. It DOES make you very sleepy. It's the Medication used in sominex and nite time pain relivers. so save

yourself some money and just buy a box of benedryl. Every parent should have some around the house. It's great for poison ivy, bug bites and any itchy or (runny nose) thing that

keeps you up at night.

·        BROMPHENIRAMINE: an antihistamine which helps relieve sneezing; itchy, runny nose; and red, itchy watery eyes due to allergy or the common cold.

·        CHLORPHENIRAMINE: an antihistamine similar to brompheniramine, effective in relieving similar symptoms.

·        DEXTROMETHORPHAN: a cough suppressant, or "antitussive" for treating uncomplicated, nonproductive ("dry") coughs.

·        GUAIFENESIN: an expectorant which is thought to work by thinning and increasing lung secretions, making them easier to cough up.

·        IBUPROFEN: a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory/pain reliever medicine that relieves pain and reduces fever.

·        PSEUDOEPHEDRINE: a decongestant that relieves nasal stuffiness due to allergy or the common cold.

.        OXYMETAZOLINE:  fast-acting decongestant that  is in nasal spray form

Good info Nurse Taken.  :thumbup:  Ive never had allergies like Im having this year but Ive had problems with my nose plugging up at night for years.

Good info Nurse Taken.  :thumbup:  Ive never had allergies like Im having this year but Ive had problems with my nose plugging up at night for years.

Thanks Swede.....    Just remember that if your nose is "plugging up at night"  Nasal spray is the best bet.  Pseudoephedrine (as in Sudafed) can act as a stimulant, and can actually cause insomnia in some people.  :thumbup:

~ Here's What I keep in my medicine cabinet for Colds Allergies.... pains and whatever else This is a basic group of over the counter drugs that I am never without, they will get you through common colds, allergies, and uncomplicated Influenza :  (you can buy the storebrand copycats that are usually next to them, just read labels, if you have small children you should invest in liquid forms of these drugs as well.)

Benedryl

Sudafed 

Afrin Nasal Spray

Motrin or Advil

Clariton (the only antihistamine that doesn't make me sleepy) for daytime use.

Immodium

Electrolyte replacement powders:  (I make my own) because it's way cheaper if you have several kids.  Anyone who is vomiting, or has diarrhea doesn't need to EAT. They need electrolyte replacement fluids until their symptoms improve.

Here's a basic recipe (taken from the World Health Organization website)

Table Salt  1/2 tsp.  (Sodium chloride)

Salt Substitute (KCL) 1/2 tsp  (potasium chloride)

Baking soda 1/2 tsp. 

Table Sugar  2 TBS  (tablespoons)

Tap Water  1 Liter  (or 1 Quart + 2 tablespoons)

You can Add flavoring (SUGAR FREE ONLY) my kids like Crystal lite lemonade flavoring added. (just add it to taste) it has no sugar.

Don't skimp on the WATER!  Don't add anymore of the dry ingredients without adding MORE water. This is an Oral Rehydration Solution used in medicine. Follow it exactly. This recipe can save a person's life by protecting them from dehydration. This is especially important in flu season (when someone is very ill, make them take tiny sips frequently so that they can keep it down). Remember, Infants who are bottle feeding or breastfeeding can benefit greatly from this recipe as they are the quickest to suffer dehydration from illness.  :thumbup:

"3. IF you have a hacking cough that's keeping you up at night, you need a cough suppressent.  Dextromethorphan is like the ONLY cough suppressant in ALL over-the-counter cough medicines ever since soccer-moms made such a big deal out of alcohol being in cold medicines.  Thumb Down  For YEARS, Alcohol was the number one cough suppresant in cold formulas. Nyquil used to contain a whopping 16% Alcohol.....  you took a shot of Nyquil, (with that antihistamine in it)  and by the time you woke up, your cold was gone.  Thumb Up Whistle  Alcohol can STILL be a VERY effective cough remedy for kids.  1/2 cup of honey mixed with the juice of one lemon mixed with a shot of Bourbon was a remedy given by Pediatricians to moms for years that many kids grew up with. Worked like a charm. Just mix it up, and shake it very well, and give about two teaspoons every 4 hours. Way better than over the counter cough meds. Alcohol used to be the number one ingredient in VICKS Forumula 44 cough syrup for kids.  So don't let the current prejudice against alcohol sway you away from the medicinal qualities of it. It's a great cough suppressant. IF you insist on an Over-the-counter one, DELSYM is the best in my opinion. It contains Dextromethorphan like all the rest, but it's in suspension, so shake it really well. REMEMBER..... post nasal drip (cured by an antihistamine) can ALSO create a hacking night time cough, so if you cough at night you might need an antihistamine AND a cough suppressant."

Yup, Nyquil seemed to work SO much better back then.  And I do remember my grandma (mom's mom) having a mixture of whiskey and honey.

Great work, Taken!!  :thumbup:

Theres a few benedryl  products out there Kim .One just benedryl and some with antihistamines mixed with it. ALL will make you sleepy and thats what you need. However like Taken says benedryl is for allergies. Afrin nasal spray is what I use for stopped up nose. They tell me to only use the nasal spray at bed time once a day otherwise you can become dependent on it.

I have sinus problems is benadryl good

~ Benedryl is good if you are suffering from a really bad allergy attack (Itchy watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing.)  but it makes ME very sleepy, and I can't take it during the day.   :nono:

The best thing I've found for sinus problems is Claritin D. The "D" stands for Decongestant. It's kept behind the counter where I live. You have to ask the pharmacist for it (you don't need a prescription) . It lasts 12 hours.  If you have headaches with your sinus problems, then take some Motrin or a tylenol along with the Claritin D. It's the best thing I've found.  :thumbup:

I have lots of allergies too, Kim.  I use Benadryl at night when my allergies are acting up and I take Zyrtec every day. 

If I get a bad cold, I usually take Nyquil at night so I can sleep more comfortably.  During the day, I'll just take Tylenol and Sudafed.  Things like Dayquil and those other meds never seemed to do anything for me. :grin:

Taken, this is excellent information.  I'll try some of your suggestions.  I know I'm going to be facing a lot more chances of catching something since I'm working in a new environment with lots of people. 

I only get stuffed up during the night.

~ you need some Afrin then. The pump spray type. No need to take a pill and send a medication through your whole body, when you can treat your symptoms with a topical Nasal spray.  :thumbup:  Stopped up noses are not good. You need to Treat it. If not, you end up breathing through your mouth during your sleep and creating new problems for yourself.