WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Precautions

What precautions do you take on a regular basis before taking an adventure out in the wilds?

Trainning, improving skills?

Conditioning, cardio, strenght etc...?

Newer/better gear, repairing gear, checking gear (batteries etc...)?

Going with a friend(s), family?

Mentor/apprentice-ship?

Making an itinerary, plan, leaving a note?

Making a checklist?

Other?

You've pretty much covered all of the basis there,

When I pack my gear I make sure everything is topped up, batts are fresh, replacement bulbs are available. 

I have some fantastic people in my life who have forgotten more about survival then I will ever know.  So mentors (family and friend) are a big part of learning what to do, and I always ask their advice on differnt aspects of a trip before I head out.

If I am in a provincial or national park, I make sure that there is interior camping available during my trip.  If you've ever had to share an interior site with another two groups, you will check availability every time.

One thing I think people should do is make sure that their first aid kit is full.  Check expiration dates on any drugs in the kit (Ex, painkillers, or antihistamines)  if they are expired, toss em' and replace them.

If you are visiting somewhere and are forced to rent gear from an outfitter CHECK THE KIT, not everyone provides a complete kit.

If it is not up to your standars, a lot of outfitters keep a few "guide kits" for when their guides take people out.  You can request these instead of the normal kit. (Subject to availability, and some places just won't don't or can't)

Cheers --

Guest adrenjunky

Great topic :thumbup: Anyway here is what I do/have done.

Trainning, improving skills? Wilderness medical training, alot of "survival" classes, teaching skill to others, books, videos, and practice everytime I go out.

Conditioning, cardio, strenght etc...?  I work out 5 days a week. One day off and as much time in the woods as I can.

Newer/better gear, repairing gear, checking gear (batteries etc...)? I am always on the lookout for better gear. Every six months I go through my gear and check it.

Mentor/apprentice-ship? I take anyone that wants to go along. I thrive on sharing.

Making an itinerary, plan, leaving a note? Always let someone know where I am going (I go alone most of the time)

Making a checklist? check it twice

I agree, excellent topic.

I am constantly working on improving my skills and equipment. 

Cardio is excellent, but because of 38 years of smoking ciggs, my lungs are a weak point, so it's starting to have an effect on how fast and long I can go, before I need to rest.  Also needing to carry medications to help with my breathing, so those of you that smoke, this is what you get to look forward to.  Still, I work on improving my situation and hike as much as is possible.

First thing I do before heading out, is make up a gameplan and give it to the wife.  That way if I get into trouble and can't get out, she will be able to start a search for me in an area where I will be.  I'll even put any possible wandering I might do into the scenario so that if I'm not where I was originally intending to go, there will be one or two other places for them to look.

Then I grab my master list for the particular bag I'm taking, take out all of my gear and go over it with a fine tooth comb.  Making sure that everything is in good order and that I replace any outdated, broken, or used up items.  I wash any clothing that's been left in the kit so that it's fresh and clean and then I repack the gear, rechecking everything for a second time, as I place it back into the rucksack/gear pile.  That way if I missed it the first time, I catch it the second time.

I double check the weather service to make sure that I don't need to change anything at the last minute.

I grab my arrows and put a finishing sharpen on the broadheads, make sure I have plenty of roving arrows and small game arrows, check the arrows for true and make sure that the fletching and nocks are up to snuff.  I check my bow over for any signs of damage, check the string over for any broken strands or fraying and that my nock point is right on.

If I'm taking a sidearm, I make sure that it's been cleaned (Lazy sometimes after shooting) and that the ammo is in good order and that I have at least 2 full reloads.

Last thing I do is go over the vehicle to make sure that it has every opportunity to run, while I'm out.

I was thinking about this, and I was going to post a listing of what precautions I take before I go out hiking/camping etc, and I realized it was more of a list of what I SHOULD do, rather then what I ACTUALLY do.

Honestly the are so many times that I don't know ahead of time that I am going to be able to get away, that when I DO get the chance, I tend to grab my gear and go. No prep.

Of course when I return, I alway clean and repack my gear. I know where everything is, and can pretty much account for all the items I need for a day or a week out in the woods. This isnt because I have any well thought out preperation in mind, but because we have such a limited space at my house, that all the gear has a place to go, and because I do realize that I have no idea when the next time I might get away might be.

The only real prep work I have done is to separtate my camping/hiking gear away from our BOB's. The BOBs stay packed and ready at all times, so if I happen to be away when the BOBs are needed, my wife can still grab them and go.

Making detailed plans of where to go; considering site accomodations, weather contingencies, fire hazards, etc.

Notifying family and other responsible party of the information. Rangers, trail head managers, etc.

Running through all gear check lists twice for everyone going. One as its packed and again the night before we go.

Preparing the vehicle ahead of time as to maintenance needs before leaving.

Charge all phones and check all batteries and lights (bulbs), radios, etc.

Adapting for weather changes ahead of time. If its going to be cold, I will start using lighter clothing when the temps drop to adapt my body to cooler temps and by turning down the indoor thermostat. Same for summer extremes. Stay out of a/c and such.

Get outdoors as much as possible to feel the temp differences.

Make sure food is updated and current for consumption.

Walk a lot and drink lots of water.

Saygo RA  ;) Long Time, big issues, maybe comming to end??????? B)

When you say you clean firearms after shooting does that include tha barrel?

I always foul my barrels after a cleaning so it will shoot at the same point after that first shot as it did before the cleaning, makes a difference, when in need.

PM comming

Saygo brother;

Happy you are getting those issues layed to rest, one way or another.  Nope, only clean the action, unless I've fired a lot of ammo, then I'll do as you do and clean the barrel, then foul it with a round.  I always thought it was just me that did that.  Was a habit of an old Uncle of mine and I picked it up when he was helping me learn to shoot.

I keep it "functionaly" clean, fairly light to dry as far as lube even using powdered lube in winter/fall or no lube at all, trying to be ready to go, maybe thats where SNAFU came from?

Situation

Normal

All

Fouled

Up

One thing I do before I leave on any outing is check a weather report.  Weather is very unpredictable and I get my last minute report before I leave just so I can add or remove any gear according to the conditions.