WildSurvive Forum
antagonizer

Alone in the wild - Documentary by National Geographic

I happened to catch this documentary online recently and thought I'd share it. If it's already been posted I appologize since I'm still not caught up on the posts. 

It's about a 'rookie' adventurer named Ed Wardle who decides to survive for 3 months in the Yukon wilderness with only basic provisions.  I found it rather amusing to see and even though he didn't manage to stay the entire 3 months, he did quite well.  I think the biggest obstacle he had was his own emotional state since every other scene is of him crying about missing his family.  Secondly, I think he relied far to heavily on fishing to sustain himself. I've always said that fish are not viable as a primary food stock since they can be quite difficult to catch, but should only be looked on as secondary to land based game.

Anyway, here's the premise of each episode. I won't link directly to the videos, because of the stigma associated with piracy, but if you want a direct link to where you can see them, pm me and I'll send one to you.

Episode 1

Adventurer and cameraman Ed Wardle is flown into the Yukon wilderness in Canada and, possessing only basic provisions, begins a solitary survival challenge that will test the limits of his physical and psychological capabilities. Overwhelmed by the realisation that he is on his own, Ed initially struggles to make decisions, and as the days go by, he realises surviving in the inhospitable environment is a lot harder than he ever imagined.

Episode 2

Ed Wardle continues his solitary survival challenge in Canada's Yukon wilderness. The anxiety and stress of the first month are beginning to take their toll on the adventurer, and the lack of human contact has left him feeling emotionally numb. Struggling to find food, he embarks on a gruelling hike to a new location, but begins to question how long he will be able to survive.

Episode 3

Ed is finding dealing with the extreme solitude almost too much to bear. Photographs of loved ones he bought with him prove too torturous to look at and he begins to have imaginary phone calls with his girlfriend. Finding food has become painfully frustrating and Ed's last chance is the millions of salmon that swim up river to spawn.

I've only seen the first episode but from what I did see I would say you're dead right about his mental conditioning. He just doesn't seem to be mentally prepared at all. He said he wouldn't want to kill and eat a squirrel because it looked cute which makes you wonder how serious he is about the whole thing. I also found it frustrating that he only started setting traps a week after he had been there. He also mentioned it was illegal to kill moose which would of made the food situation a whole lot harder. All in all I think most people with a medium level of knowledge and skills could survive with the amount of equipment he had, it's very interesting that the biggest obstacle seemed to be loneliness.

I'm watching it right now.  What a great show!  It's very similar to "Survivorman".  I love his Scottish accent.  It makes it fun to listen to him narrating his adventure in the Yukon.  He seems to be very real and down-to-earth, unlike some other "survivalists" we've seen lately.  :whistle:  :grin:

I love my family to death...but I still think I could go 3 months alone in the bush and wonder how the time flew by so fast....

Ed Wardle cried...way...way to much.  You need to be a stable person to segregate yourself from people like that, or else emotional breakdowns would be the least of your issues.

He didn't do too bad tho. Gotta give him some credit.

I love my family to death...but I still think I could go 3 months alone in the bush and wonder how the time flew by so fast....

Absolutely, I'm guessing there would be alot of people who dream about that sort of thing.

Dick Proenekke didn't seem to have much a problem. Matter of fact, i think he even made a comment about how nice it was not to have a woman around "naggin him all to death".

Dick Proenekke didn't seem to have much a problem. Matter of fact, i think he even made a comment about how nice it was not to have a woman around "naggin him all to death".

I should never have sent you that movie!  :P 

Not ALL women nag men all to death.  :nop:  :rofl: