WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Armed in the wilderness

This topic might be contraversial, so read with an open mind.

Since this consistant with wilderness dangers and what maybe out there.

When you are out and about in the wilderness do you go with defensive means of defending yourselves and your loved ones?

Fierarms, bears sprays, sling shot/ball bearings/marbles, staffs, sticks and whatnot.

Mods feel free to remove if not appropreate

well personally i do not go into the wilderness armed with more than my blades, but i can see that there could be reasons that would merrit being armed, for protection.  I am not a hunter but not against hunting, In iowa where i grew up the deer are so badly over populated due to the growth of the city that they are in the city and it makes more sense to me to have them harvested by a hunter and have the meat used, instead of them getting hit by a car and then simply terminated. 

As far as being controversial, there may be people who dont agree but i dont think there should be too big an issue.  We as mods will have to keep an eye on the posts and as long as it stays a good mannered debate or discussion there wont be any trouble.

Great topic.  For me it all depends.  I always have my blades, that is for sure.  As for firearms, sometimes I do, it depends on where I am going and who I am going with.  If I am going with a bigger group of guys, I probably will not bring a gun.  But if it is just me and Thumper or just a couple of us, I usually will have something.  You just never know......some people use the woods for the wrong things.  You want to be sure of your safety.  You wouldn't go out without proper gear to keep you safe, sometimes a firearm is part of your safetly gear. 

I usually carry bear spray, well as close to always as possible. Along with the spray I carry a sling shot with both marbles and ball bearings as a further precaution, we don't as a habit unless in hunting season carry firearms as this Canada and such things are well  :help:

We make due with what we can. Hiking staff, ax, knives, If I were allowed to carry a firearm which is a subject that I have thought of a lot... it would be a Guide Gun by Marlin in 45/70 strong action, large powerfull caliber, convenient size.

NOTE: If you do carry a firearm be well trained with it, practise in stress situation, out of breath, under stress did I mention that before; can't over emphasize that practise till its second nature before you carry.

Learn to recognise animal behaviors so that you don't over react in panic.

AND most importantly BE AWARE

Being aware is probably the most important skill in wilderness trekking/survival get to know the rythms of nature, the sounds, the feel, the smell, the silence......

I always have my knives on in the woods, or within reach (like when I am in the tent). But for safty sake, I do not carry a firearm (sounds weird, eh?). Most of the time I am with one or both children when I am hiking camping etc, and I just wont risk a accident. I dont feel my oldest son has enough maturity to respect guns, and my youngest boy has no idea about them.

So for me it is  walking stick/staff, knives, slingshot. And a heavy dose of common sense about my surroundings and other people.

I will always have a hiking staff and SAK with me on day hikes.  On occassion, where I can, I'll strap on a fixed blade.  When in an area where roving isn't against the law, I'll have my bow and a quiver holding, 2 large game arrows, 2 small game arrows and 7 roving arrows.  When hunting/camping for two or more days, or hiking into wilderness areas, I'll have a sidearm riding on my hip.

Absolutely!  Can't say enough for a good defensive measure in the wild.  Bear spray, Cold Steel Outdoorsman Blade, Hiking Staff, Hatchet, and a SP8-95 Machete.

Defense is not always for animals.

Guest adrenjunky

I always have multiple knives. If I am going campins/hiking a minimum of a handgun goes with.

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Well... I don't walk all that softly, but I do carry a hefty stick, and a good sized fixed blade.  Add some rope and you can also make a very makeshift spear.  Though I've never tried that out, it has been suggested to me.

I will also have a smaller folder on me, so I feel pretty safe. 

We have posted some bear warning signs in out back yard this past year, only to have them removed (maybe the bear didn't lilke them).  But our bears are more interested in our bird feeders then us.

*I still carry the big knife though*

Cheers --

One of the types of firearm that is carried by some of the forest/geological units is a "cruiser" which is a small (legal) shotgun. Usually a pump action, 12ga., a pistol grip (not my choice), short barrel 18" and slung. They are carried to a ratio of 1 "cruiser" to every 2 workers, this was a few years ago today I am not sure if the same requirements exist. In BC I think it still exist, matter of a fact I think it is mandatory set by the Worker board.

Yeah, I usually carry a .357 revolver.  A cruiser would be better in an area with bigger bears, but would be more of a pain to carry.  You are right about the controversy, lots of folks would object to a firearm.  But I take a first aid kit, not because I HOPE to use it or EXPECT to use it, but because I may NEED it in an emergency.  Same for the pistola.

iw ant a ccw but am to young any ways any one here have a ccw

Yep, I have one.  My normal carry gun is my Colt 1991A1 Compact (Officer's Model) .45 ACP:

images.jpg.152957e23770262a2909ccb35ffe3a6e.jpg

Depending on how far I have to hike and how much weight I'm packing, I might bring my Smith & Wesson Model 66 w/ 2 1/2" barrel, but I prefer the GP-100 for it's 4" barrel.

model66.jpg.d653d94f55e522e5fc733eb150a5ec41.jpg

Is that 1991 or 1911?

That particular model is a 1991A1.  They were introduced in '91 as a less expensive alternative to all of Colt's higher-end guns.  They still make all the 1911's, too.  That little gun had a price tag of $379.99 brand new (this was in '92 or '93). 

That particular model is a 1991A1.  They were introduced in '91 as a less expensive alternative to all of Colt's higher-end guns.  They still make all the 1911's, too.  That little gun had a price tag of $379.99 brand new (this was in '92 or '93). 

Sweet lookin little compact.

I named it "Elvira" years ago, 'cause she's the Mistress of the Dark! ;)

I actually met Elvira: Mistress of the Dark at a bar in Phoenix back in 84'.  She was real nice and let me buy her a drink.  She didn't have her outfit on and I had no idea who she was till we had chatted for a spell.  Real nice person.

I actually met Elvira: Mistress of the Dark at a bar in Phoenix back in 84'.  She was real nice and let me buy her a drink.  She didn't have her outfit on and I had no idea who she was till we had chatted for a spell.  Real nice person.

Cool Dave! 

Yeah, she looks ALOT different when she isn't in her costume and make up, prettier.  Cassandra Peterson?  Something like that.  But, that's who the pistol is named after  :naughty:

Guest blacksmith

I like a shotgun we have bear so a good gun is needed and I go deep in the woods 10 to50 mile in the woods at times and we kayak a lot at times 70 mile is not that bad of a run so yes a good gun