WildSurvive Forum
jcs71

550 paracord or 3/16" utility cord

I would like your opinionon which to get. On Imsplus web sight they have 550 US Issue cord in a 1000 ft spool and in various colors for 49.95. They also have 2100 foot spool of 3/16" GI style utility cord for 47.95 in olive only. Which one would you get? Thank you.

ooo.. thats a tough one...

well do you want 2000ft of cord  or do you want to make colorful bracelets? lol

i would pick "various colors at 1000ft"

a 1000ft is A LOT. for me it's way more than what i would have a use for.

Guest smallgamehunter

nice to see someone else buys from ims i been buying stuff from them since they opened in 95.

i would go with the 550

The 550 is *no longer used* parachute shroud line, so if it is manufactured to military spec, it will have 4 or 7 strans of line inside of the covering, that are braided together, which is what gives the cordage it's tinsel strength.  This is also what makes 550 as versatile as it is.  Being able to remove the braided line from the sheath and separate it into individual pieces, increases your overall length of available cordage in the field.  So, if you take 100' of whole cord into the field with you, it will yield from 400-700' of total cordage.  Just need to remember that the tinsel strength is lowered per strand.  The empty sheath also has tinsel strength and can be used for a variety of uses by itself.  1000' of paracord could in all likelyhood, last you a lifetime if not wasted.  I normally add 30-50' of 550 to each of my packs and will only carry 15' or so, with my PSK.  Great stuff to have with you. 

Plain utility cord is strong, but limited in it's uses by virtue of it's diameter.  I mean, you couldn't use it for sewing thread or fishing line and it's overkill for most shelter applications in my opinion.

I bought the OD stuff and have both the 4 strand and 7 strand variety. It makes sense to have a bright, contrasting color of 550.  Keep from throttling yourself by a guyline.  :dead:   I have a roll of bright orange, non-sticky, HD ribbon that I tie onto the lines, so visitors don't hurt themselves. :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies so far. More is always welcome as well. I was thinking of getting a spool of coast guard orange 550 cord. For some reason I have a real ichin' to get some survival goodies in this color. I think one reason might be is that orange is associated with emergencies and survival and is easily seen. Plus green and black does get kind of boring after a while. The only bad side to orange is if you were trying to hide from someone they would know where you were at. Please keep the replies coming.

Guest smallgamehunter

4 strand is actually 450lb paracord where the 7 strand is true 550

Guest smallgamehunter

the inner strands of 550 can be used for suture material in a pinch or fishing line

and the outer sheath and inner strands can be used to make a gill net

Paracord is just an abbreviated way of saying parachute cord.

What you have what watch out for is that it's the has the strands inside. Some companies advertise military type paracord but in fact it's just standard clothes line.

I came across glow-in-the-dark parachute cord this weekend.

I have seen some of the glow in the dark paracord too. Looks pretty cool, but is more expensive.  I was wondering what additional chemicals it would have it is.

I also have come across a couple of places selling paracord with 8 strands in the middle rather than 7, saying it has a test of 650-700 pounds, so I guess that would be 650 paracord.  Some also have 4 strand paracord.

You are right, you want to check what you buy and also look at it after you have it to make sure you have what you want.

Guest smallgamehunter

each of the inner strands of paracord is 50lb test