WildSurvive Forum
Gandar

What are the things you're going to hunt & eat this winter?

What are the things that you are planning on hunting and eating this winter?

What are your favorites? Any new items that you've never tried before?

We will be using a firearm primarily but will trap and sling shot some as well.

This winter we plan on hunting:

* Squirrel (It tastes great over an open fire. It tastes like dark meat chicken to me)

* Deer (We are going to eat fresh and smoke over coals and green wood in a home made cloth smoker)

* Hog

* Turkey and Dove (I've never had wild Turkey and want to try it)

Maybe some more but those are the ones I can't wait to eat.

We have a bounty of acorn squash from the garden this year and I made several jars of apple butter for the first time. I guess that doesnt count as hunting but it will be different food for winter.

Pan fried squirrel and biscuits and gravy are some fine fare for sure. I usually shoot two or three.

Yeah 1 squirrel is barely enough meat for me so if others are joining me, we'll shoot 3-4 and have it up with some bread or rice and gravy.

I think I'll be going after rabbit and squirrel more than anything else. Not really set up for anything bigger any more but I'm working on it.

If I had the time (and money) I'd like to do some elk hunting.  Jim McCauley does a fine job of guiding over on Kona, and his clients have brought some beautiful specimens in.  Elk meat on an open fire....oh yeah!  I've also had it as chicken fried steak:  :dribble:

Starting out with birds and bunnies - pheasant season opens this weekend in Iowa and I'll bag the occasional cotton tail along the way.   Bambi's get their turn a little later one - deer season is in December.  

With the "herd o' turkeys" hanging out in my backyard, I'm tempted to pick up a turkey tag and try one of those.

Well we have been enjoying the elk my father-n-law bagged a couple of weeks ago and with any luck I will have a deer by the end of November.

I note that I didn't get so much as a sniff of a steak.... :whistle:

I note that I didn't get so much as a sniff of a steak.... :whistle:

Hey dont feel to bad I havent seen an elk steak yet either. He is passing the elk burger out, but he is holding on to the steaks for dear life. Colton and I just fixed a big pot of elk chili. It tasted pretty good if I do say so myself.

Colton and I just fixed a big pot of elk chili. It tasted pretty good if I do say so myself.

Sounds pretty good.

Hey dont feel to bad I havent seen an elk steak yet either. He is passing the elk burger out, but he is holding on to the steaks for dear life. Colton and I just fixed a big pot of elk chili. It tasted pretty good if I do say so myself.

Hmmm...and after you skinned the crittur for him, too. 

I shot a couple of spruce grouse for camp meat in Ontario moose hunting years back and camp fire grouse breast is pretty good.  :dribble:

Well I can go for snowshoe hare and grouse or ptarmigan also.

Sounds good. What will you use to get your meat?  Bullet, arrow or snare?

Hey Gandar,

This year I am hunting pronghorn antelope, either whitetail or Mule deer, Elk, black bear, mountain lion and wolf.

When the lakes freeze it is primarilly rainbow trout and perche, might snag a walley or ling.

Upland birds are blue grouse, ruffled grouse, frankolins, hungarian partridge, sage grouse, I could still get a turkey tag as there are lots of them out there.

I don't specifically go after waterfowl, but Montana straddles the pacific and central flyways so there are a lot of ducks and geese to choose from.

The cottontails are pretty good this year, our little pine squirrels are hardly big enough to be worth the effort, but we have some good Jackrabbits once it gets cold.

I am planning on hunting whitetail in Illinois this year too.

I use rifle, shotgun, handguns, archery tackle (recurve bow) and am an avid trapper for several species. Primarilly coyote and fox as my bread and butter, but beaver, martin, and racoon are also very available and bobcat is really fun.

I usually use leghold traps but i like snares also.  moose0024.gif 

All sounds good Wolfsbane.  When trapping do you smoke the traps first or grease them in any way to disguise the scent?

We smoke all of our traps then put them out. Sometimes it seems though, that if an animal is going to get itself in a trap, it will do it even if the trap had flashing x-mas lights on it... Especially with the right kinda bait ;)

I've never had bear, I hear it's a... bear... to clean because of all the fat.

Your hands smell like bear for weeks and nothing helps.  :nono:  use rubber gloves

So, Kbob... without enough time and money what will you get instead?

I'm hoping for some deer hunting, and I'm going to try to get in on the last day or two of turkey season.  I need to take my Ruger M77 up to KW's place and zero the scope I got for it.  The old shotgun is good to go though.

Your hands smell like bear for weeks and nothing helps.  :nono:  use rubber gloves

I wonder if other bear can smell bear on you and if they get peeved or not.

Hey....thats a good question.  There is a Big bag of Dove breasts in the freezer along withdeer, and lots and lots of Walley, Northern Pike, Carppies,BlueGill,frozen fruits(for pies),like apples, cherries,blackberries, blackraseberries, homemade applesauce, and of course some store bought meat. Oh, and frozen garden corn, and green beans. :thumbsup: