WildSurvive Forum
Gandar

What are the things you're going to hunt & eat this winter?

I'm hoping for some deer hunting, and I'm going to try to get in on the last day or two of turkey season.  I need to take my Ruger M77 up to KW's place and zero the scope I got for it.  The old shotgun is good to go though.

We saw a nice 8 point the other day on our way home. Tempting to take the ole' 30-30 with us in the car.

Uhhhh, just this last season.September?  :huh:  And there is still a bag in the freezer from last year. I think that bag was forgotten about. Think they might be freezer burnt. I personally dont like them. :nono:

Sounds good. What will you use to get your meat?  Bullet, arrow or snare?

Bullet and snare's. Snare's will be easy as I have already seen some runs that the hares use.

Guest smallgamehunter

snares are a numbers game

i been bowhunting squirrels and rabbits

Nice bear Swede.

Bear meat is greasy, but if you cure it, it makes wonderful ham and Canadian Bacon. Smoking allows the excess fat to drain away.

Rendering the fat gives you bear grease which is one of the best things I know of for leather and wounds, especially blisters on humans and saddlesores on horses.

The extra oil in the meat makes for outstanding dry sausage like pepperoni.

The meat by itself has a unique flavor, but soak it overnight in milk or beer, it is very good. The texture is fine grained, and usually pretty tender at least on the ones I have taken.

As to the scent, I spend so much time around animals, the wild and exotic aromas that I hardly notice it anymore.

Gandar, I use trap wax. It prevents corrosion, masks scents, and it is not as messy as some methods.

I have no proof, but I think the wax slips ice and snow better too so the trap jaws don't freeze down during warm/freezing periods of milder weather.

Why the first and the last?  

If youve never shot a bear you dont know the dieing wail they let out. It will raise the hair on your neck and sounds like a dieing child sometimes. Heart breaking for me. Plus like Wolfbane says the meat aint the greatest but you can try to disguise it somehow.

The only way I will ever kill another one is if its him or me. Ive come face to face with them a couple of times (well within 50 feet) and both stood up on their hind legs and looked me straight into my eyes. You can see the (I think I can take him) look on their face. I stood my ground and they both ran away.I was unarmed both times and my walking stick wasnt going to make much of a difference.

As I grow older and the dead animals in my past have added up until now I think my killing days are coming to a close.

Heres some pictures from my killing years>

80 pound beaver I caught in a NO.4 leg trap>

beaver001.jpg

Coons, beaver and muskrats mostly trap and hunt with my still dog Boots>

coons2.jpg

This our coyote hunting group. The coyote on the ground was number 100 that year we killed 108. I killed 15>

coyotehunters.jpg

Smallgamehunter,

I agree that snare play, in large is a hunting game but there are some tricks and some spotting skills that allow for more than your share of catches.

Guest smallgamehunter

ive snared my share of coons rabbits squirrels and beavers.

i mostly use #1 and 1.5 duke coils springs if im trapping for numbers

ive snared my share of coons rabbits squirrels and beavers.

i mostly use #1 and 1.5 duke coils springs if im trapping for numbers

I've never had beavers or coons yet. How is the meat? I hear it's darker and gamier so how do you prep it?

Well I am only snaring for the meat. And the runs are active where I would set them. Squirrel's around here are only the little pine squirrels need alot of them for stew.

I've never had beavers or coons yet. How is the meat? I hear it's darker and gamier so how do you prep it?

Roast most likely however Ive had it grilled, fried and smoked. All I can say is its better if your near starved to death.  :unsure:

Roast most likely however Ive had it grilled, fried and smoked. All I can say is its better if your near starved to death.  :unsure:

Lol.

Beavers are vegetarians so the meat is better. Its a delicacy in China Town and Ive actually butchered and sold them to a buyer who sold them directly to California. The texture closely resembles beef and barbecued beaver aint bad.   

Roast most likely however Ive had it grilled, fried and smoked. All I can say is its better if your near starved to death.   :unsure:

Yes but so does the person with you  :naughty:

Guest smallgamehunter

sounds like u got a good plan then tatonka.

the squirrels here are rather large from all the acorns and corn