WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deep_Woodsman

Skeeters and Deer Ticks

:thumbup: For skeeters and deer ticks I use Repel Plant-Based Lemon-Eucalyptus rub on repellent.  It cost $5.00 @ WalMart in the Sporting Goods section for a 4oz. bottle.

I don't like putting Deet on me, period.

I have also mixed eucalyptus and citronella essential oils 50/50 and put it in a bottle with 25% distilled water and then sprayed that on, which works well also.

I believe Cutter's makes one without Deet also.

We have been using "Skin so Soft" for years for the boys, works great for the skeeters, thou I dont know about the ticks. But recently we have been using Cutter's with Deet. With Triple H killing people in NH, I aint taking the chance.

So far no ticks in our area to speak of but mosquitoes wow not to be believed in places. We use a deet based repellent at a lower percentage, mosquitoes netting, and clothing that protect as well as covers up. Set our camps where there is more breeze,wind so it blows them of better, then we just suck it up as best as we can till after sunset. Use citronela candles/oils may not be the best but smells good.

Fall and winter best times of the year!!!!!

I've heard some geologists complaining about a resurgence of blackflies in the "far north" (Far Northern Ontario)  as they like to call it.  Does anyone know why this would happen

We use plenty of deet,

I tend not apply it to my skin, but I'll soak a bandana in it and wrap that around my neck, spray down my hat, OR

I have this really neat thing, it looks kind of like a gilli (guilly?) suit with a buzz cut, so it is a mesh jacket with litle tufts of fabric all over it.  you put that in a plastic bag, and spray in some high percent deet sol'n.  You'll reek of deet all day, and you won't be bothered by anyting that sucks blood..... except the wampires oooo

At night I am a big fan of the Pic coils,

My family used to do a lot of camping out of a VW Westfalia camper, and every night, we would close all of the windows, vents and dooors, light a 3 inch chunk of the coil, go out for a walk for an hour or so, get back into the van and open all the windows and vents.  Every insect inside was dead, and we had mossie and black fly free nights. 

This works well in tents, just be careful, hot ember and tents don't mix.  BE SURE TO VENT the smoke.... unless you want some reallllllly creepy dreams.

A natural solution/replacement for the Pic coil is to smolder/burn the fungi that grows off of birch trees.  For some reason the mossies hate it.

Cheers --

Read about prevention... But what do I do after I have been bit all over.

I spent four days in the Florida outback over the Thanksgiving holiday, I tried long clothes and 40% deet spray but I guest the sheer number of mosquitoes and ticks wore me down. I now have approx 60 sqeeter bites and about a dozen tick bites.

Any suggestions on post exposure treatment??

Joel

Benadryl is probably the only thing you can do at this point. :yes:  You may want to call your doctor and let him know you've been bitten by ticks.  He'll probably have you come in for a blood test to make sure you haven't contracted Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  Don't mess around with that, okay?  Make the call.  (Can you tell I'm a mom? :P)

Besides feeding the mosquitoes and ticks, were you hunting or just roughing it in the outback?   

I get tick bites all the time due to our aggressive schedule of outdoor recreation and bushcraft learning. I fear doctors for more then the lil blood suckers found in the woods!!

What I am looking for is a field treatment that can be used in extended back country situations were doctors and ointments from the walgreens are not available.

What did we do 100 or 200 years ago?

Creek mud works for me sometimes. Aloe Vera should be around in Florida and southern states. Willow bark chewed or boiled is a natural asprin. Sandbar willow seems to be the best but any might do.

Treatment depends on the type of reaction. If there is only redness and pain at the site of the bite, application of ice is adequate treatment. Clean the area with soap and water to remove contaminated particles left behind by some insects (such as mosquitoes). These particles may further contaminate the wound if not removed. Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.

Raid ant and roach spray is an oil based product so it stays for quite awhile where its sprayed. I spray some on my shoes and pant legs and that works well for the ticks on the ground. However the little buggers climb up on weeds and trees and fall on you when you brush against them.

Tick removal

Ticks are small, insect-like creatures that live in woods and fields. They attach to you as you brush past bushes, plants, and grass. Once on you, ticks often move to a warm, moist location, like the armpits, groin, and hair. They typically attach firmly to your skin and begin to draw blood for their meal. This process is painless and most people will not notice the bite.

Ticks can be fairly large -- about the size of a pencil eraser -- or so small that they are almost impossible to see. Ticks can cause a variety of health conditions ranging from harmless to serious.

See also: Tick bites

Symptoms

While most ticks do not carry diseases, some ticks can cause:

* Colorado tick fever

* Lyme disease

* Rocky Mountain spotted fever

* Tularemia

Watch for the symptoms of these diseases in the weeks following a tick bite:

* Fever

* Headache

* Muscle or joint aches

* Other flu-like symptoms

* Stiff neck

* Swollen lymph nodes

* Weakness

Watch for a red spot or rash starting at the location of the bite.

The tick itself can cause paralysis in humans (called tick paralysis). Symptoms include:

* Incoordination

* Numbness

* Spreading paralysis

* Tingling

* Weakness

DO NOT

* Do NOT try to burn the tick with a match or other hot object.

* Do NOT twist the tick when pulling it out.

* Do NOT try to kill, smother, or lubricate the tick with oil, alcohol, vaseline, or similar material.

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call your doctor if you have not been able to remove the entire tick. Also call if in the days following a tick bite you develop:

* A rash

* Flu-like symptoms

* Joint pain or redness

* Swollen lymph nodes

Call 911 if you have any signs of:

* Chest pain

* Heart palpitations

* Paralysis

* Severe headache

* Trouble breathing

First Aid

If a tick is attached to you, follow these steps to remove it:

1. Grasp the tick close to its head or mouth with tweezers. Do not use your bare fingers. If needed, use a tissue or paper towel.

2. Pull it straight out with a slow and steady motion. Avoid squeezing or crushing the tick. Be careful not to leave the head embedded in the skin.

3. Clean the area thoroughly with soap and water. Also wash your hands thoroughly.

4. Save the tick in a jar and watch carefully for the next week or two for signs of Lyme disease.

5. If all parts of the tick cannot be removed, get medical help. Bring the tick in the jar to your doctor's appointment.

Prevention

* Wear long pants and long sleeves when walking through heavy brush, tall grass, and densely wooded areas.

* Pull your socks over the outside of your pants to prevent ticks from crawling up inside.

* Keep your shirt tucked into your pants.

* Wear light-colored clothes so that ticks can be spotted easily.

* Spray your clothes with insect repellant.

* Check your clothes and skin frequently while in the woods.

After returning home:

* Remove your clothes and thoroughly inspect all skin surface areas, including your scalp. Ticks can quickly climb up the length of your body.

* Some ticks are large and easy to locate. Other ticks can be quite small, so carefully evaluate all black or brown spots on the skin.

* If possible ask someone to help you examine your body for ticks.

* An adult should examine children carefully.