WildSurvive Forum
Falco

Pellet Gun Hunting/Targets

righty o.........who grew up with a pellet gun?....loads of us right?...heck even i had one at 16 i hid form mom in the rafters for shooting pop cans (soda for the americans).

ive just bought, a crosman phantom .22 calibre , break barrel........

apparantly this is a canada only model, it goes 495 fps, 5 fps under the firearm laws we have, doesnt matter anyhow, i own guns, but still........

the US has a crossman 1000x, or something similar as an exact model, but has more power, and goes over 500 fps, to about 800 so im told.

so being bored in my "old age".........friends and i have gotten these guns, and dialed em in with  4-6x scopes.......i must say ive shot alot of pellet guns, this is by far the best ive ever shot available in canada.

sunday im gonna go hunting with it, i do belive some crows and grackles are on my hit list, since its pest control..........should be fun, i will post pics.

anyone else here done hunting with a pellet gun?

lets hear about it!!

cheers

We used to go out at night on the farm and shoot sparrows roosting in the barns.They made a mess out of the hay.

Well....I've never had one with a scope on it but I have put many rabbits, and squirrels in the pot with my old crossman. I need to get one of the newer models.

Falco,  I would really like to see some pics of stuff you get that's edible if you get any.  From shot-to-pot...

Guest smallgamehunter

i hunt rabbit squirrels and other assorted small game with a crosman .177 pellet gun and a crosman model 88 co2 pistol.

you should look at the performance ballistic ammo offered by gamo it promises a 20% increase in velocity

Guest smallgamehunter

sk i would say keep the shots close and yes u could.

my step son had one just like that and took several rabbits from 15 yards away

I've got a daisy powerline 880, like this Do you think I could take squirrels and rabbits with it?

Yeah SK, with a 750 fps for bee and 6+ for pellet, you'll have no problem knocking the little buggers. Go for a head shot when possible to and follow up if needed.

I've taken even some bigs things out with a bb gun before.

Big things like what Gandar?  Just curious as to what all I can do with this thing...  I'm debatings over getting my habitat tag now or not to go squirrel and rabbit hunting...  Anyone know the laws as far as transporting airguns, do they have to be cased and unloaded like normal firearms?

Guest smallgamehunter

airgun laws vary state to state sk its best to consult a copy of the hunting rules and regs to see exactly what the rules are

Big things like what Gandar?  Just curious as to what all I can do with this thing...  

I have gotten squirrel, dove and pigeon sized birds, snakes, lizards large and small, vultures, opossums and things of similar size.

I have gotten things as large as baby pigs with the right pellet placement and I have to admit I gave the neighborhood cat a swell on it's rump (half power) for marking the car doors when I was younger.

there wont be any pics of me cleaning them, im doing pest control......but i will post pics.

here we cant go over 500 fps so air rifles here dont go over that......the one i use goes at 495, and is .22 cal, so it accually has knockdown on them, not just going through them

Guest smallgamehunter

that would be very dependent on the shot placement and the caliber of the airgun.

i have seen some coons that just refuse to die. my suggestion would we if u are gonna shoot coons get a 410

its classes for large pest control, i guess if it was a sweet shot i could do a gopher or a coon sure, but i would really rather shoot it to put it downb rihgt away, rather than have to take a 2nd shot

I've got a daisy powerline 880, like this Do you think I could take squirrels and rabbits with it?

SK , that is the same style as the Crossman I had when I was young and killed lots of rabbits and several squirrels with it. A few opossums, and a couple of groundhogs. Gandar's right go for a head shot, use pellets for better accuracy and more trauma on impact, and with practice you should be able to consistently be able to make  good 15 and even 20 yard shots. But..the bigger the target the thicker the skull and the closer you need to be.

I've only shot the occasional rat or starling with mine (Crossman 760 Pumpmaster, .177 cal).  With pellets I'd feel confident enough to take rabbits or squirrels with it.

BTW.....it's always been 'pop' around here... ;)

perhaps its the northern staes with the soda....i havent gone too far south yet.....yet being the operative word

I'm with SGH and Falco on this one SK

A pellet gun is more apt to maim than kill a coon that can result in a slow painful death after it runs off with a pellet in him.

A 410 would be a better choice.

When hunting take your shot only when you are comfortable that you are in range and at a good angle. Make sure there is absolutely no room for error, and, most importantly, you have a kill shot.