WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

Scatology

Found in middle of well used game trail tunneling thru tall field grass between a stand of apple trees and the forest.

What is it?

dsc01400dk8.jpg

dsc01399nv5.jpg

Looks like muscrat to me, but that doesn't fit the area (unless there is some water around you didn't mention)

are those little bits of crayfish/crawfish or other little water critters floating around in there?  I can't really tell

Wish I could be of more help.... interesting lookin scat though

Cheers--

Guest taken by the wind...

~ whatever it is, it looks like it ate the apple seeds as well! Oh, and that looks like apple peel! ewwwww!

It looks like an omnivore, whatever made it. Just from the different textures running through it. It looks like it eats a variety of stuff.

Cool Poop Puzzle Blue!! :rolleyes:

I say racoon, or black bear,

Lycan, Unca Walt, Taken -

We do have lots of raccoons around, but not a whole lot of muscrats. In that size and form category we also have weasles, mink, fox, coyote, pine martin, shunk, porcupine, and an occasional mountain lion, wolf, black bear.

By the way:

Have you ever been out in the woods or in your back yard, come upon a odd pile of something and asked your self "What's that crap?" And, because it was so odd you took a picture of it, or maybe 6 or 8 pictures of it, so you could share it with your friends in hope of finding out what was up with this crap.

Well,.... I do.

In general, I'm interested in all kinds of crap because the more crap I learn, the more I know about the animal that gave me all that crap, and nature itself. I pick it apart to see what's in it, I smell it, and I try to identify what kind of crap it is, and how long its been there..... If its a really good example, I've have been known to take a _____  :blush:   

However, in the world of outdoor-ology "crap" is reall known as "scat". And, scat usually referrs to "wild" animals, not domestic animals like your dog Spot. So I try to use that term, and now that I told about every "crap" joke out there, maybe everyone else will use "scat" as well and try to keep this thread clean

If anyone else has some crappy, errr, scatty pictures you'd like to share with the world, ......... here's your opportunity!! Whether you know what it is, or you don't and want to know - let's see it!

:hugegrin:

BB

~ well, I share your "inscatuation" with the mystery of it all! I chose racoon and bear because I deducted that whatever it is came out of the woods to the apple trees to eat. Since that's where you found it. It looks like it has apple seeds in it, and either peeling or some deflated berry of some sort. Anyway, weasels (I thought) were strictly carnivores, I didn't think they ate fruit. (I could be wrong.) Since Minks are weasels, I thought they mostly ate meat and fish and stuff. Same for the fox, the mountain lion, the coyote, wolf, and pine martin. I thought about a porcupine, maybe.... I don't know. I don't see them as apple eaters (And I'm really convinced there's apple in that there scat.) For the sheer number of seeds in it, I'd say whatever it was ate a LOT of apples. Didn't just nibble on them. So I say bear. I know its not big... but bear scat (I've read) will vary consideralbly depending on what's in season. Apples are in season. So I stick with racoon or bear skunk, or porcupine! (okay... I've expanded my choices!) Do you Know what it is?

Okay, now after thinking about it. I'm going to strike porcupine off of my list. Here's why. In nature they eat tree bark and seeds even conifer seeds (I read) and so, I think that if they eat bark, and fibrous stuff like that as their natural diet, they would have to have the ability to break it down and digest it. Those apple seeds went right through that critter... untouched. So I don't think a porcupine did it! 8) (Scat scene Investigator) taken... reporting.

And for some reason... I picture a racoon with its cute little hands holding an apple twisting it around and not eating the seeds so much... I mean it eats like a lady! (in my imagination!) Whatever ate the apples... woofed it down seeds and all without a thought.

~ :woot: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: awwwwww!

Well it just goes to show you, when it comes to "scat"

anything goes! You're better off not thinking too much about it!!! However... I'm not convinced. I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that just because you posted a pic of a porcupine eating an apple (that I was able to google myself) that the scat you took a pic of was Also from a porcupine! :P I still think that if treebark is a natural part of an animals diet, that an apple seed would be digested as well. As Scat Scene Investigator, I can't place the blame without more tangible evidence! I say that a porcupine is an opportunist as are most animals, but HE would've digested those seeds a bit better! :whistle: I demand more proof! :woot: :rofl:

I'm standing firm on this... It is NOT porcupine scat! LOL!

imagesvv1.jpg    Curtesy of Scat Scene Investigator files... Porcupine Scat.

:peace:

~ cool "scat" sayings:

you're in deep scat!

when the scat hits the fan.

you scat head!

cool as scat.

who gives a scat?

scat for brains...

holy scat!

Don't pay any attention to me, I'm just talking scat!  :wave: That's enough of THIS scat!!!

WOW, my brain was not functing last night!!

I did not even notice apple seeds, they just looked like shell fragments to me.  See what studying a skeleton for 5 hours straight does to you!!!

this is what my dellusioned brain was thinking (if the pic posts properly... I'm new at this)

Cheers

scat1.pdf

Survivalists, boy are we a strange breed.  Where else can you have a page of posts on a thread about poo.....sorry...scat....

Taken -

I'm sure that what picture is of porcupine scat, just as sure as I am that what is in my picture is porcupine scat. :thumbup:

Where was your picture taken? Could regional differences account for dietary differences?

What season was it taken? Would that alter the diet?

Looking closely at what is not in there - any hair or bone, or shell. To me, that discounts fox, martin, and certainly raccoon. Looking closely at what is in there I see apple skins(now turned black), apple seeds, Choke cherry pits, what look to be rose hip skin and seeds, grape skins, and assorted leaf matter and fibres. To me, again, that nails the porcupine's diet.... up here ..... this time of year.

Also, the description with the pictures mentioned that the scat was fould in the middle of a "well used game trail tunneling thru tall field grass". I tied to provide a clue with that as porcupines are massive, heavy animals and tend to really matt down their well used trails thru tall grass.

So, aside from the fact that the farm has this stuff ALL OVER it and it is easily apparent what animal is leaving it, all the above clues also point to porcupine..... at least to me.  :thumbsup:

~ Okay Bigblue... if you are convinced, I believe you. But next time get there early enough to get the "action" shot of the actual scat being scattered... if ya know what I mean!  :whistle:

I got my picture by googling "Porcupine scat" images. (you didn't think I actually go into the woods and look for that stuff do you?)

Anyway, I've never seen a porcupine around here. We have possums and armadillos...  I don't have a clue what their scat looks like either!

:wave: