WildSurvive Forum

Guest smallgamehunter

ims my favorite store in edwardsville.

them blast matches are worth the money

The only issue I have is that the ferro rod can become dislodged from the housing with just a good knock. ..... dropped on a rock for instance(ask me how I know). I roughed up the end and epoxied it back in and its been fine ever since. I've used mine for close to 10 years.

Under optimum conditions with dry natural tinders or man made chemicals tinders they are great. Under adverse conditions they have issues.

Guest smallgamehunter

what would you suggest instead

a light my fire firesteel from ims 6.95 unless u want the one with the lil hacksaw striker blade its 12.95

the Blast Match is great! If anyone happens to find one on the baden powell trail in North vancouver BC, i dropped mine  :roolling:

what would you suggest instead

Well, that depends on the application I like the Strike Force a lot, and I love the LMF fire steels. I have both and have given both as gifts to family and friends. In a long term situation I'd obviously recommend the strike force because it's sparks are identical the the LMF steels but with a larger diameter, has a compartment for an emergency chemical tinder, and has an integral striker in the protective covering. I do prefer to use another striker with them than the one on the unit itself but the supplied sparking tool does work. For short term hiking and such I like the LMF Swedish firesteels as they are really light and simple. I keep one in a loop on my knife sheath and just use my knife and fire to start a fire while I'm out if the opportunity arises.

I've broken the housing on 2 of them.

Good thing I did too...

Inside I found a big fero rod that works real well with a hacksaw blade striker.

It looks like the one in this pic:

003-31.jpg

It doesn't have some of the one hand usefulness anymore,but still works very well.

Cliff

I didn't break mine, the plastic that held the striker got hot and melted and the striker fell out one day when I was trying to use it under less-than-ideal conditions. I didn't think about taking it apart, I just took it back where I got it and showed it to the owners of a local outfitters where I bought it and swapped it out for a strike force and was perfectly happy with it. So much so that the strike force became my gift of choice for the next two years until I had outfitted all of my close friends and close family with them and decent knives.

That is a good point to make about the blast matches, that would be an easy project to do in either case. That's also what Swede said when I told him not to rely on the one he bought as a single fire starting source.