WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bushman5

Embracing technology in the woods

What are you thoughts on this........

lets take a 64GB iPod Touch , load it up with topo maps, the compass App, and every bit of useful campcraft, bushcraft, survival info, medical info, etc etc etc etc and bring it into the woods with us, with a backup battery. Add in a digital camera so we can take pictures of the trail as we go, load em up to the iPod Touch........

not saying it will replace basic skills and common sense, but might be handy to have...... thinking outside the box here......

NOTE: to avoid misunderstanding, this idea would NOT be used without training, practicing, etc of wilderness skills. It would merely be a supplement to those skills, a reference, a place to store info, photos, maps, a place to journal, etc etc etc etc. It is NOT a replacement for hands on instruction, practice, training, etc.  !!!

Will be good to reference this stash of info when extremely stressed but will not do you any good until you practice those skills. I'm not saying you don't know what your doing just makeing a point. Allso what do you do if you haven't practiced these skills and both batteries go dead or the touch breaks or you forget it. I'm not saying don't do it what I'm trying to say is get hands on training as well. I myself need a lot of work in the hands on department. I have also thought of doing the same with my smart phone or geting a pda. But they dont replace raw knowledge and practice

i was thinking it would more of a reference device and a place to store photos for possible later reference, not as a replacement for skills. 

High tech is becoming a very useful tool to those who venture in to the wilderness. I know Les Stroud had some gadgets at times that he didnt mention. After all dieing was not a good out come to a filming an adventure. GPS , Spot and cell phones are great tools to have.

However these are all part of planing, preparation,notification to family and friends, training and education that we have learned the hard way from those who perished who weren't prepared.  

http://international.findmespot.com/  

as for breaking issues.... thats what Pelican cases are for! :)  I once drop tested a pelic case with a laptop in it from a height of 30 feet onto rock and soil. no damage. Drove over it with the pickup, no damage.

Put the iTouch into a foam lined Pelican 1030 case, with a couple of spare batts, it would make an interesting "field PC"  me think

As with anything you have with you in a survival situation, I would use it however I could.  However, I think there is a huge difference between seeing instructions on how to start a fire vs actually starting a fire.  No matter what you have or don't have with along, you need to practice those skills that might be needed.  Just reading about those skills or seeing a video would be helpful, but it won't keep you warm overnight if you can't actually build the fire or do the other things you need to to survive.

Guest smallgamehunter

nessmuk himself said the more knowledge a man carries in his head the less gear he carries on his back.

thats fine and all, yes we should have tons of skills tucked away in our brain. Yes, less is more. Sometimes it nice though to use gear. I like using gear. I use my head too. I like to think outside of the strict rigid Bushcraft Law box and incorporate modern and traditional skills, techniques, and gear.

just saying.  ;)

I'm going to coin a new term here: STEAMPUNK BUSHCRAFT  < the melding of primitive, traditional wilderness skills/bushcraft/gear & technology  :)

Exactly Bushman. Your an example of a mix of primitive and high tech being as your an Aborigine using a computer.  :woot:  Just sayin.

Guest smallgamehunter

i just this year began to ultralight hike and in that i became less gear dependent.

i personally think that if u take something like an ipod or a p.d.a into the field even for reference then in a way you would be more gear dependent

I totaly agree here sgh. I also think that in some aspects todays technologey is way to far advanced for us as humans. I will admit I have one of them fancy smart phones that's got internet and can receve email and what not but I would have no problems walking away from its convinences. Its sad how manny people could not function with out there ipod or computer or video games. My little brother is one of them

Guest smallgamehunter

if we go out into the field to get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life then why take a ipod or pda or smart phone because u wouldnt be gettin away from anything

Nothing wrong with technology. I go in to the woods to get back to basics. I went for many moons without a cell phone. When they became practical, it seemed foolish not to take one. I have one in case of emergency. I make contingencies in case it fails.

I see your point Bushman.  It's nice to have something like that for reference--and you can carry alot of topographical maps/info like that in a compact package--but just using it as a supplement to your own knowledge.  I think it's possible that some others may have misunderstood your OP, and I don't believe that a device like that in it's case will weigh much or take up much space.  No device can ever replace the information carried in between our ears, but having such information or references won't hurt either.  Besides, I believe we've all looked at Mistwalker's tutorial on how to build a fire with a cell phone battery.... ;)

I am amazed at the information I have in my hand when I'm using my GPSr.  I have added a 2GB memory card and am able to load the road maps for all of North America (including gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc) and still have about 1GB available.  I can load topographical maps of an area, which do take up quite a bit more memory.

It also can record my track, allowing me to backtrack if needed.  A lot of times, I simply set a waypoint at whereever I parked, allowing me to find my way back.

It gives not only compas direction, but altitude too, using a barametric altimeter, which can be used for weather prediction.

You can shoot a compass bearing and follow that.

Tide stations are listed and show high and low tides.

Moon phases are shown as well.

This can all be a great help if needed, but you still need to know how to survive - find food and water, build a fire and shelter.

I do carry extra batteries too.

^imagine the detailed topo maps and SATphotos we could load up with a 64GB storage system with a very good color screen...... :woot: :thumbsup:

I'm looking at a 16 GB ipod nano right now.  5th generation.  It has the video camera built in, so I don't always have to take the camera with.  Also most people really underestemate the power of motivation, for example, some songs really pump you up (Journey anyone... :P ).  I also can put videos on there too.  I am going to have to get a case for it though...