WildSurvive Forum
Bushman5

carrying bleach in the field - without spilling a drop

bleach - good stuff! a tiny amount in water can be used for guaranteed hand sanitation, or water treatment, or cleaning dishes etc. But who wants to lug a bottle of bleach around, and rick spills onto clothing, food or gear, or accidently dumping it all? not me not you.

the solution is to carry a chlorine tab, found in the pool maintenance section of the hardware store. These pucks are very concentrated, are very hard, and can be easily carried by a hiker in a plastic container with a sealed screwtop lid.

to use, scrape off tiny amounts of powder from the puck, into a vessel with water. Stir and you now have a chlorine bleach solution. Remember, just a very little amount is all you need, these pucks are concentrated, and as such last a long time.

B)

Guest smallgamehunter

i do believe bleach can be used to purify drinking water if i remember right its 5 drops to a gallon or something like that

Thats a very good suggestion. I can see where that could come in very handy. I wonder if it could be used in small amounts for purifying drinking water?

I'm sure it can. The problem would be getting the correct level of bleach per gallon of water.

Bushman, do the tabs have a "__ will treat ___ gallons" or __ is equal to __ gallons of bleach on them?

on a litre scale, its about 3 drops or so, add the bleach justtill you smell it on the water....then wait an hour, andf it fumes off......as far as ive ever used it...

as for carrying it, i take a small amount with me

i used "fiver" viles....fomr a local head shop, they are about .25 cents each, and are water tight, dealer types of illegal subtances might purchase these for hash oil.......but i see em as storage for a PSK!!!

no drugs for me!

Do you have Milton bleach over there, often used for sterilizing babies bottles. It has the drops to a liter on the bottle for water purification. I use it in my water store at home.

I have read that Chlorine Bleach looses it's potency over time. I keep a small glass eye dropper bottle, from an Organic Foods Market of all places, in my BOB.  I try to buy new bleach each year and change out the Bleach in my "Blue Bottle" when I rotate my emergency food.  Would these Chlorine tabs have a shelf life?  How much do you shave off into a 1 Liter bottle of river water to sanitize?