WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

Tracks!

Can you guess what they are?

dsc01360cw0.jpg

#2 I think there are actually three  different tracks in this shot.... I think?

dsc01358xv6.jpg

dsc01356hi0.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

#1 looks like a turkey, but given the sand it might be a wading bird, like a heron.

#2 same as above, a duck, and ?

#3 I agree with bobimbob.  Cat.

#1: By the depression, it almost would give me the idea that someone has increased the dept/width with his finger maybe to help outline the track, as the sand ridges on both sides of the groove seemed to pushed up indicating more weigth than a bird would put down normaly on the ends of the track leaving the middle part raised?

#1: By the depression, it almost would give me the idea that someone has increased the dept/width with his finger maybe to help outline the track, as the sand ridges on both sides of the groove seemed to pushed up indicating more weigth than a bird would put down normaly on the ends of the track leaving the middle part raised?

EGAAAADS!!! Are you accusing me of purposfully manipulating this image in an attempt to confuse?

My good sir, I will not stand idly by as my honor and reputation are besmerched in this besmerchful manner. Multi-tools it is....I challenge you to a duel at high-noon!!

I did not touch this print!!!   :rant: :rant: :angel:

That is, as correctly identified by Lead Dog, a Great Blue Heron.

I am not good with track identification.  Something I should probably work on. 

I believe you Blue.  Now way a man of your distinction would alter tracks.  Like the lighter for perspective shot.  Sweet.

Bravo - It could be a cat, I honestlty don't know.  :unsure:

We have lots of procupines there, and raccoons and fox prowel the beach all the time. We also have mink, marten, and weasel. There are some stray cats around, but not many.

Guest Lead Dog

For #3, I don't see where the nails would be to indicate it is a canine.  The far right toe has what could be the mark of a nail, but it could also be the nail of a cat if its paw sunk it the sand at a weird angle.

Were there any additional tracks with long, fingery tracks?  Where they at a bit of an angle?  That might help indicate if a raccoon was there.  They have a bit of a waddling gait, don't they?

Do the weasels you mentioned have retractable claws?  For some reason, I thought they leave claw marks, like a dog.

Darn it, BB!  You have me yearning for my tracking guide and I can't look at it right now.  :)

Guest Lead Dog

Those tracks, especially the ones on the right, look like a raccoon.  From what I remember, the tracks of a raccoon's front paws resemble a human handprint.  The similarity is what helps the stinkers get into garbage cans... or ones that aren't patrolled by sled dogs anyway.  ;)

BigBlue, since you challenge ME I become the aggrieved party and I choose the weapon

Wet noodles dipped in Tobasco sauce at 15 paces first runny nose wins :cool:

Ahhhhh.  :arigato:

A true warrior know his weapons.

Would that be Origional recipe .... or.... Habenjero Sauce recipe?  :ewphu: :ewphu:

Guest Lead Dog

Swede, are you sure about the canine tracks?  Shouldn't there be sign of nails?

Ah i missed this thread, i am glad to see it has started up again here as i love it.

As for the third image it is most definitely not dog or cat. That image has 5 toes, dog and cat have 4 and a dew claw at the back.

Otter has 5 toes for sure. I am always at a disadvantage playing this game not being familiar with your animals but as soon as i read Lead Dogs Wolverine reply it reminded me that Richard Proennekr tracked a Wolverine in the snow in his film One mans Wilderness and i am sure it was a very similar spore pattern and i m sure Lead Dog has first hand experience of Wolverine up there.

so i say Otter or Wolverine

Your right Lead Dog and Adi dogs and cats have only four toes but mink and otters have five. Good call.

A pic lighter shown is just a little over three inches long and a northern river otter has tracks three inches long or 8 cm. and the hind foot is webbed.

The mink tracks are around 1.5 in. or 4 cm. five toes so this makes me believe they are mink.

There hasnt been a wolverine in Chicago for centuries Adi maybe in Brookfield zoo. ;)

ok i have just been out for a walk and thanks to lashing rain i am home again but whilst out i have been thinking. I have never seen a Wolverine, i might have seen one in a zoo but i imagine a wolverine has a quite a long body and weighs a few pounds so i would have thought it would have quite large feet say 4 inches or so.

Now i am thinking its not wolverine and so much for thinking Lead Dog knew what he was talking about  ;) jk i am sticking with Otter.