WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

Tracks!

Ive seen wolverine tracks Adi and they are BIG animals that can take down a full grown deer. They walk kinda pidgeon toed and have tracks the size of a small bear.

yes i thought that Swede that's why i changed my mind but a good call on Mink, i have had some experience of hunting Mink when hundreds of captive mink were freed on the downs by animal rights people. Mink never crossed my mind.

No i am still saying otter

I am still saying otter because of the second registration that i circled. That is the pattern of the rear foot.  I dont recall seeing that on mink tracks. This debate could go on and on :D

dsc01353vy5copyoy4.jpg

Your right unless I can see the tracks because theres more to consider by looking at the pattern of the tracks length of the gait or jump things like that. Ive seen many mink tracks and the ones around here are pretty small. Smaller than these tracks.

As a matter of fact Ive got a mink at the taxadermists right now that I picked up as a road kill. It had just been killed on the road and only his nose was run over so I took him to get mounted. It should be done soon so Ill post a picture of him.

We need more track pictures like this. I think Ill work on that. :)

Guest Lead Dog

Now i am thinking its not wolverine and so much for thinking Lead Dog knew what he was talking about  ;) jk i am sticking with Otter.

Never trust what I say!  :P  And when did I mention anything about a wolverine?

:blushing: I am sure you mentioned wolverine or someone did, something made me think of the wolverine track in that film, a foggy mind is obviously setting in. :blush:

So we have it down to Mink, Otter and Raccoon, has anyone got any advance on that?

BB what do you think it was, being it was on your patch you might have an idea or suspicion and is there any chance that you will ever find out what it was?

My first thought is Raccoon because we have so many there and they scour the beach every night but, I saw nothing there that looked like raccoon's hind print. So, of the remaining available choices: red fox, red squirel, skunk, otter, domestic cat, domestic dog, weasle, mink, Pine marten (not sure we have any wolverines), porcupine,..... that's about all I can think of..... I choose, ummmmmm....... weasle or mink.

Guest Lead Dog

I'm thinking a mustelid due to the five toes.

Big Blue:

The fact that you mentioned the beach and by the sign of the gravel (or sand) in which the track is pictured, I have to assume this is an area of beach where the water readily washes in and out to make it so smooth.  It does not look like ground affected by raindrops, so I will guess that your creature is a water loving baby and doesn't mind getting too close to it.  Is this shot taken on an ocean front beach or in a cove, or in a bay?  Do you have more on the terrain as it can be a clue?

What are these.1

!tracks0050bx.jpg

tracks0063bh.jpg

tracks0088ky.jpg

This isnt very clear hint its their breeding season.

tracks0090zj.jpg

The coin is a quarter

tracks0144de.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

I'm going to take some guesses.

#1 & #2?: Rabbits

#3: Raccoon

#4: ?

#5: Fox?

Guest Lead Dog

You tell me!  You're the one with experience!  :P

Lead Dog if you think number three is a racoon track well you just GOT to get out of that city and come down here to the farm. :nono:

#1 - no clue ( unless its just an obscured rabbit track)

#2 - Cottontail Rabbit

#3 - Turkey

#4 - Raccoon

#5 - Domestic cat

Heres an observation I have about animal tracks. If you see tracks the animal is in front of you somewhere. He was here but now hes gone. I know he might be comming back but its too late you have already been warned of his presence and now you can watch for him. If they come up from behind you with no sign you will have no warning.

Anyway thats what I think. :yes: