WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KentuckyWoodsman

Fly Fishing?

Does anyone on the forum do any fly fishing? I have been attempting to learn this type of fishing, But I have not had any luck catching anything.  Just wondering if anyone had any good info sources.

I usta catch a lot of blue gills in the summer with a black gnat fly or a surface popper on a spawning bed. Fall is not a good time to fly fish for pan fish. You will need floating fly line and around three foot of monofillament  leader. There are inserts to put in the end of the fly line to attach the leader because a knot will distract the fish from the lure.

The King is our premier fly fisherman.

Guest smallgamehunter

i have caught pumpkinseeds,bluegill,crappie,rainbow trout and largemouths using flyfishing gear.

flyfishing is more about a decent place to fish then what gear or technique u use.

i have fly fished farm ponds lakes creeks and large rivers some i caught fish others i didnt and i used the same gear and the same technique and i have caught just as many fish in the fall and i have in the spring.

all i can suggest is practice practice practice  the more u practice casting the better u get at it

been fishing for years.......i gave up most of my spincast fishing for the fly...about....14 or so years ago.

catch me online, we can chit chat about it

Guest smallgamehunter

u should try catch a 5lb largemouth with a 6x leader and 5wt line it was like catching a freight train with a tooth pick

Guest smallgamehunter

after that i switched to using 4lb trilene i found no diffrence in the fish wanting to bite either way so after the 45 min battle with the largemouth i upgraded my leader

i mostly fish for trout.......they are reallllly picky around here....i stay as light as possible

I recently took my fly rod to the smokies and tried some trout fishing down there. I got a few hits, but was not able to land any. I have tried it numerous times in our farm pond and have not had any luck there either. I feel like I got the casting down alright just need a lot more practice. I am using flys that mimic insects from the area. just cant seem to get things going the way they should go.

i use about 90% of the time.....a caddis pupae.....i just change the colours all the time......depending on the year.....ir mimics just about everything around here....the rest of the time i use yarn flies, or black ants.......

caddis pupae are super easy to tie too.......if you want i can email you step by step pics

you need some lead(Pb) wire......antron or sythetic dubbing.........some polypropelyne rope( the soft almost tinsil like soft stuff, vi use white all the time)........and peacock hurl

for the colour shifts, you just get diferent colour antron

finally a fly fishing topic and i skipped over it some how.  Well i don't know what rig your set up with but I'll tell you what i run for the ponds around here. and some small streams and when i say small I mean there is more water in my toilet then the creek. 

I can always always catch something with one of these.

so my top five go to files (trout):

1. Red Brassie BH (i make mine but by far the best fly to catch anything, and i mean anything.)

http://www.wvangler.com/FlyOfTheWeekRedBrassie.htm

2. Prince Nymph with or without BH

http://hipwader.com/images/filson/f3/filson19.jpg

3. BH Copper John

http://home.comcast.net/~jmanderino/Swap2006/Coppjs.jpg

4. Hare's Ear BH

http://cutbowfly.net.p2.hostingprod.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/GR_HARES_EAR.189163253_std.JPG

5. Zebra Midge BH

http://www.riverbum.com/images/products/big/Zebra-Midge-Tungsten-Bead-Black-side.jpg

I have no clue why most tutorial sites say that dry fly fishing is easier. but just start out with nymphs  you can use nymphs any time of the year.. dry fly fishing only happens once in a blue moon.

so now my rig... I run a 5 WF Floating line works great on the pond, I'm thinking about going with a 5 double Taper line this year to smooths things out a little.  i use to use line loop connectors for the line and leader connection. but the problem with that is if they get dirty.. say goodbye to the floating line. what works best is the nail not with super glue to stick the ends to the line.. that way they don't get hung up on the guides.

for the leader i usally run a 4x or 5x. for the tippet i usually put 2ft of 5x or 6x.  6x is strong enough to pull in a 10lbs trout. it just takes time. 

I use rio trout tapered leaders. and rio powerflex tippets.

now some tricks:

i've tried all kinds of strike indicators, you name it I've tried it.  the best ones i've found are from a small company and only one place here in town has them.

the company is "anglers image"  and the name is "lightning strike, strike indicators" 1/4 inch version NOT 1/2 inch  http://charteredwaters.com/catalog/images/ligstrball.jpg

i don't use the sticks i just take the line through the top of it and loop it through again.

in my experience I've had better luck using a two rig system.  tie the first fly to the tippet and then tie 2 ft more tippet to the first fly and then add your second fly.  (bigger bug on top)

also a helpful cast to know is the roll cast, it will save your flies in the tight spots. and if your in deep bush.. then use the bow and arrow method.

http://jasonborger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/jborger_bowarrow_ill.jpg

damn it all to hell,  i talk too much..  now i have to go fishing.

see ya if a few.  i guess i can try to bring pics back

Guest smallgamehunter

i use wooly bugggers and sponge spiders alot although i have caught some decent crappie on muddlers.

my rig is a 5wt shooting taper line on some cheap 8ft 5/6wt rod and reel i got from walmart in 05 nothing fancy but it works

Guest smallgamehunter

i have caught well over 60 fish with it upto 5lbs

I am using a Martin Fly Rod which seems to be of pretty good quality. I have been looking at a scientic angler at Dicks sporting goods that I like pretty good, I just dont know if I really need it right now.

redington fly rods FTW! lifetime warranty. no questions asked replacement. 

alot of other companies do this too.

but the redington RS4 Series  are so dreamy.

Guest smallgamehunter

KW i been using my 20 dollar walmart setup since 05 and havent had any problems the only thing i have done is replace the wf line with a shooting taper for better casting distance

Well I probably did not really need it, But I got a fly fishing vest for this years fly fishing trips. I hope to make a trip to bass pro soon and pic up some more flies and a couple of other items. I hope to have some pics to post later this year.

Guest smallgamehunter

a black wooly bugger or muddler minnow are my go tos  i have caught a bunch of crappie and bass on wooly buggers

Well after bailing and putting up a truck load of hay and cutting some weeds around the house. My son and I thought we would ride back to the pond and give the fly rod a try again. I could see the fish hitting bugs on top water so I knew my chances would be good to land my first fish on the fly rod. Sure enough after several cast I finally got my first fish on the fly rod( a good hand sized blue gill). My son got interested in trying to cast himself so I taught him what little I know and before he quit for the evening he had hooked and landed a nice size blue gill himself. I have caught all kinds of fish in the past anything from bluegill in small creeks to sharks in the atlantic. but I have got to say this fly fishing has got me hooked (no pun intended)

KW has the bug!  KW has the bug!  :grin:

Congrats on catching a fish, KW!  That is awesome!  I love watching someone fly fish.  It's so graceful and beautiful.  I think it's amazing that someone can whip the rod back and forth and let the line go at the exact right second so the fly will land in a particular spot as lightly as a real fly would land.  What an art!

I never fly casted enough to get real good at it, but good enough to do it.  I taught myself by tieing about ten feet of light yarn to the end of the rod and practicing with that.    My father liked to use a flyrod for pole fishing for panfish.    Catch a large redear or shellcracker and get ready for a fight.

Guest smallgamehunter

you guys should try largemouth bass on a 5wt flyrod  makes for a real fun fight when u hook one over 5lbs