WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LOST

Safe Fire Policies

What protocol is there for setting up, igniting, maintaining, and extinguishing fires in camp? 

Well when i build a fire i always use a ring of some kind.  Whether it is a rock ring or a hole that i have cleared,  If i am going for a low impact low mess trip i will dig a hole and then when i am done i can simply bury the ash and it works fantastic. 

When i put out a fire, i soak it till it is a soup.  Then i stick a stick in the center so to show the fire is out and cold.  Something i learned way back when i was a boyscout.  it is a good idea and seems to work well. 

ok i could go on and on in this one post but i am thinking that starting fires should have its own thread, and may already in the fire starting thread.

Maintaining should go with that.

Guest adrenjunky

The bigger the better. I prefer houses. :devil:

Never leave a fire unattended!  Ever.  Junky can tell you stories about how fast a fire can spread.  I've worked a forestfire behind my house one year and I've seen a spark travel amazing distances.   

Try to build a fire on rocky or sandy soil. 

Pay attention to root systems of nearby trees.  Don't build a fire on top of nearby trees with shallow root systems.  If a root catches fire it can follow the root through the ground all the way make to the tree.  And you won't even be able to tell.

When we go out we all carry at least one extra container of water, just to put out the fire.  We will put water, stir, dirt, stir, water.....keep going until is is OUT!  Then we hang out for a while and check it again right before leaving. 

Setting up: I look for any debris that can be blown into or out of the fire. That gets moved or used as a base for the fire. I prefer a small trench with one end higher than the other for setup.

Igniting: I use a small amount of kindling with a dab of petroleum gel and dryer lint to start my fire and build on it.

Maintaining: Having the needed material already at the fire site. Leaving the fire is dangerous.  Keeping it small is a must!

Extinguishing: I keep a pile of loose dirt and some water readily available.  If the fire must be put out quick, dirt then water.

if i'm at a campsite i'll use a designate fire ring for my fire, if i'm not a campsite then i'll clear any debris (leafs, branches, etc)  until i have a bare black ground in the area that i want to have my fire at, the area cleared will be bigger then the fire.

For starting the fire i usually use Petroleum Jelly soaked cotton balls and small dry branches/twigs.

once the fire is going add logs as needed to maintain the fire.

to put out the fire i'll soak it with water until everything is cold to the touch.