WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KentuckyWoodsman

My father-n-laws first Kentucky Elk

Here is some pics taken after the hunt. We had to take measurements and weight of the elk which had to be turned into the local Conservation Officer. A lot of people don't realize this, but Kentucky has the largest elk herd east of the Mississippi. Kentucky Bob was in on the release when he worked for the Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife. This cow was taken about 2 miles from my house.

PICT0022-1.jpg

PICT0027-1.jpg

We have shot three moose on two different hunts in Canada and Im telling you the funs over when you get an animal that big on the ground.  gen165.gif

Some good eatin right there. I think moose and elk are the best wild meat there is.  Congratulations.

What was the weight? How much difference is there in fat content and taste compared to deer?

It field dressed out to 558 pounds. The meat is pretty lean and taste closer to beef than deer. I like deer, but the elk is better.

We have shot three moose on two different hunts in Canada and Im telling you the funs over when you get an animal that big on the ground.  gen165.gif

This hunt was in October ( I am very slow to post pic I guess) and we did work up a pretty good sweat trying to field dress and get it out of the woods. You dont drag an elk out of the woods like you do a deer.

My father-n-law was drawn for this hunt in the spring and he had been very sick as a matter of fact the doctors had given up on him. So this was an extra special hunt for the entire family.

It field dressed out to 558 pounds. The meat is pretty lean and taste closer to beef than deer. I like deer, but the elk is better.

Wow that's a good bit of meat. You should mail me a bit to try  :hugegrin:

looks mmmy to me im glad that yo father -n-law was able to make it to the hnt end him my best wishes. i had elk once about 4 years ago it was amazing. im personaly tierd of beef pork and chicken i want to add more veriaty to my plate

I'll agree with KW, elk is better than deer.  Very good flavor to the meat.  Yeah, I was in on the original release of the first 7 elk they turned loose on the old Starfire Coal mine property, one bull and 6 cows.  We had about 5000 people come out to see it, and it was a big show.  The biologists opened the gates of the trailer and the six cows took off straight up the hill, but the bull didn't budge.  Most of the crowd gave up and left before the bull came out, but I remember one guy that had missed the original release.  He came up to me and he was feeling bad about missing the show, and I told him to stick around since the bull was waiting for things to quieten down.  Sure enough, just as I was pointing to the trailer the bull eased out and then shot off up the hill after the cows.  moose0024.gif