WildSurvive Forum

Rough camping where you hike it in; car camping where your pull up next to your site and set up a tent; or a pop-up or pull trailer?  What made you choose the way you camp?  How did you start out and why are you where you are now?  Mention the pros and cons of your choices.

Guest adrenjunky

I do them all (although all with tents)

Truck camping take all the cushy stuff. If the wife, parents, or people that don't like to rough it are going. Rustic or modern camp site, I'll go anywhere to be outside.

Backpacking anytime I can. It is where my heart truely is.

I had parents that were very involved in the OOD. The only vacations we took where in the woods. To me being in the wilds is kind of like stocks, diversify as much as you can. The more you do the more you learn.

i am in the same boat as aj, i love it all, and i agree that the more kinds of camping you try the more you learn and the more fun it can be.

I have been family camping literally from the time I was 3 months old.  My parents took me and my sisters practically from birth.  So I grew up doing it and love it.  I started backpack camping about 12 years ago with a friend of mine and enjoyed that.  Recently getting into the survival aspect......you know what...basically if it is being outside with a fire I love it. I always tent.....basically because of cost.  I wish I had a pop up camper for family camping, just for the ease of it. 

We have done  different styles of camping.

Tent- car camping- (or years ago with the motor bike)

Trailer camping- great having the storage room,  bathroom and commfy beds but we do everything outside including cooking.

Winter camping- My oldest son and I with Scouting.

Sleeping in the back of the truck.

Would love to try backpacking and canoe tripping if I could convince the hubby. Oldest son has canoe tripped.

Now matter where you sleep being outdoors is the best.

Guest Lead Dog

I started off backpacking.  It seemed a natural transition from hiking.  I use basically the same gear when canoe camping.  We do some car camping, but the wife feels if we are so close to the car, we should be in a hotel.  :(

My favorite is canoe camping.  The boat carrys all the gear instead of me :) and it gets us to quiet places.  One of these days I want to head north and do some camping off the dog sled.

I have tried most all of them. I started out with just a square piece of tarp to make a lean to shelther to a pull type camper. The trouble with a lot of camping is its pretty much depends on your age and phsyical abilities. I love tent camping but Im just too old for all that activity now. The most fun we ever had was a pop up camper where you conbine tent camping with ease and comfort of pull behind camping. I find camping areas in state forrests and private camping places is the almost total lack of privicy.Nothing like camping next to loud obnoxious people with kids screaming, dogs barking and drunks right next door. We camp on our own property or other private properties.

Now we have a cabin on our own property with electricity, microwave oven, TV, gas heat, running water, full size bed and if necessary air conditioning.

Right now we are pricing pop up campers again. The next problem is how do you pull a boat because thats my main reason for traveling.

Guest Lead Dog

Swede, while it is not a pop-up camper, you could get a camper for the back of a pick-up if you have one.  That would allow you to tow the boat.  Also, you could invest in one of those van-style campers.  Not as obnoxious as one of those semi-sized RVs and it would allow you to tow the boat.  Or you could tow a pop-up and put a jon boat or canoe on top of the camper.  Although moving boats around by hand might not be what you and Mrs. Swede had in mind for retirement.  :)

I love backpacking and climbing, but my family... well the votes still arent in for my son, but my wife prefers car camping. (Might be the 19 miles of extension cord she carrys for the hairdry that makes backpacking hard on her..)

At 44, I don't feel that my age has slowed my climbing/hiking abilities down at all, I still climb a lot of the peaks I did when I was 17. But the family prefers campsites. I have many friends who take mobile homes to go camping, and to me, you lose a lot doing it that way. At least here in New England where the campsites for motor homes are very close together at most campgrounds.

But for now it is either car camping with tents, or backpacking. We have been eyeing small hard shell campers for a few years, but it isnt in the cards for us for a while.

My favorite is canoe camping.  We can get to more remote areas in our canoe easier.  We are just limited on our carrying capacity.

I went last July on the Tallapoosa River near the Horse Shoe Bend national park, it was one of the best trips of my life.  We had a bald eagle fly about ten feet over our canoe while we were drifting down the river on our second day.

IMG037.thumb.JPG.f1c12c92d00e72a7fe951564aeee841e.JPG

IMG012.thumb.JPG.345205ceee4b88246a74134be230e82d.JPG

First time I went in a canoe was on the Pokemoke River and the tree roots had darkened the water so much it was almost black.  Once out in the middle of that beautifully calm black mirror I just stopped and had a hard time getting air.  I was so awestruck at what nature can do and man can't.  Unfortunately, I don't get out on the water much and canoeing was one thing I never found time for.  I sure wish now that I had.

Guest blacksmith

I like kayak camping camp on the beach or just in the woods and you will not see one peeson for days

Car camping when I don't have much time to plan it. I love canoe camping. Like a lot of people have said, it gets you to the quiet secluded places. I also enjoy doing the wilderness living style camping. Getting as close to nature as possible.

Guest blacksmith

yeah that is they way I like it when  we are up north but down here we like to get out away from people you know not see anyone but did not get to go this year

Well friend JJ, where ever you are, I sure would have liked to have spent some time paddling and camping with you bro.

I've hiked in and camped, got caught in a snow storm and put up an emergency camp, car camped with tent, had a VW Westfalia camper for a few years and camped with it, pitched a lien to in the back yard as a kid and spent an entire summer out there, packed my hunting camp inland 20 miles, set it up and killed my deer all in the same 24hr period (where the fun in that?) and lived on the streets for several months as I got clean and sober.  Not once, have I paddled river or lake and camped.  Gonna have to do that before I die I think.

I started with short backpacking trips and a tarp when I was about 15, usually along the river, but in all kinds of weather...spring, summer, fall, winter.  Tess and I did backpacking in Upper Michigan, Isle Royale, and Indiana...all seasons.  We have done more truck and van camping lately as we have usually been travelling and camping to save hotel money.

That was the great thing about commercial fishing..., I used to "camp" in all kinds of secluded slews, and on all kinds of islands in areas of the rivers where the shores were completely undeveloped...., man I miss those days..., I gotta get another boat so Sarah, Alayna, and Lisa can experience that

Guest blacksmith

yeah there is something about a boat and getting out away from people thinking all the time I need to more back out remote

Well. Its not really the 'styles of camping' your talking about, but I have four different categories of camping:

Ultra Light Ultra Modern Backpacking

Normal Modern Gear

Semi Primitive (MM)

Primitive

I have all of my Normal Modern Gear. For the ypcoming holidays, I asked for what I would include in the Ultras, along with a couple Primitives. I'm going to a Mountain Man rendezvous soon, that may take care of Semi Prim.

I hope to have complete outfits for each, like, totally complete outfits, each seperate, in the four categories.

One trip to Canada fishing we camped out on an island. The biggest problem was finding a spot to drive in tent pegs. We had a four man tent with netting and a bottom. It was certainly different watching the sun go down that far from civilization.The gear was hauled out in our boat and was a boat full.