WildSurvive Forum

Wildsurvive fans we are approaching my favorite time of year for camping. If not camping than just getting out and enjoying a camp fire. The cooler weather and the smells of fall make this an enjoyable season. Get out there and enjoy the season.  :thumbup: 

Guest blacksmith

time to get the old wall tent out again but time to make a new stove for it then it can be -20 out and we are 75 in  :thumbsup:

Fall is also excellent bird watching time. Lots of migrating birds are coming through that are seldom seen in your area. Every member should be able to identify all birds by sight and sound. I recommend "Birds of North America" by Golden books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=birds+of+north+america+golden+books&x=0&y=0

They have used ones for one penny so no excuses.

Im not a fan of Rodger Torry Petersons books because he has the information on the birds in a different section.

I've done it all if the wife goes we camp at a resort of course, she likes tent camping as long as we have a air mattress and hot water available. My favorite is backpacking or canoeing in and I much prefer a tarp nowadays to a tent for ease of use. Versatility, and I feel closer to what I came here for to start with.

I've done it all if the wife goes we camp at a resort of course, she likes tent camping as long as we have a air mattress and hot water available. My favorite is backpacking or canoeing in and I much prefer a tarp nowadays to a tent for ease of use. Versatility, and I feel closer to what I came here for to start with.

I gotta second the tarp, its all I use anymore, a canvas tarp, or 2 GI ponchos.  The tent just closes you off from everything.  I still have my tent incase the family comes along (Haha, like that'll happen) but its a just in case item.

I love camping too. There is nothing like being outside near the wilderness and taking in all the sites of nature.

I started out in a two person tent in a horse camp.  8| One night of that was enough for me in a tent. Sounded like the horses were right next to us and you could hear them chewing on their hay, stomping any bugs off their legs, peeing and pooping and even swishing their tails...... Too much noise in the night from them.

Then I started sleeping in the back of our truck with a topper. I had a bed, cardboard 3 drawer chess of drawers, old fashion clothes rack cut down to size ( to fit in topper) and a porta pot and several gallons of fresh water. That wasnt too bad.

Then I graduated from the truck topper to a van. Put all the things in it that I used in the truck, and my horse and I traveled to different camps that way.

Now I have a big horsetrailer with full living quarters, gas and electric, and thats the way I like to go. It will haul 3 horses, but I only take one and use the other two stalls to haul supplies. In the living quarters we have all the conforts of home, frigerator freezer, gas stove with oven, 2 tub sink, booth that seats 4, queensize bed, full bathroom with toilet, tub-n-shower,and sink. Lots of closet and storage space and also have a tv when hooked up to ele.

We do all our cooking outside. There is just something about cooking outside that is soooooooooo much better then inside.

And then there is the campfire. I've seen times when we had a campfire going when it was too hot outside. happy070.gif  Cannot beat a campfire. Just talking about it makes me want to get spring here today so I can start camping.......Thats not gonna happen for awhile....as it is only 16 degrees out and this kinda weather is gonna last for at least 3 more months here. We usually get started camping in April. I will be ready..... :thumbup: :yes:

My earliest boyhood camping experiences were in a tent or quinzhee in my yard.  As I entered my teens I began doing over-nighters in the nearby woods with a buddy, and eventually doing over-nighters and short multi-night trips by myself as I grew older. 

In my twenties my wife and I enjoyed backpacking in National and state/provincial parks in the US and Canada, including some winter camping, but primarily warm weather backpacking in parks.  In our late 20's we did a fair bit of desert camping in the southwestern USA (Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, Big Bend, etc). 

Around when I was 30 we began canoe-tripping, mostly to Crown land lake and river systems in the near north of Ontario.  Crown land canoe-tripping and backcountry backpacking on Crown lands is by far our favourite style of camping.  There are no fees, no reservations to make, no schedules to keep, there are no designated routes or sites, so one has to find and discover one's own routes, make bush camps, and it's much more private, secluded, and you don't have to content with crowds or heavily impacted sites, all of which makes for a much more gratifying wilderness experience.

For those who might be curious what Crown land camping is like, below are some videos I made that will give you a sense of it.

The first video is short photo montage set to music of some photos of us and 2 friends canoe-tripping through Crown lands.  The photos were taken from over a decade of Crown land canoe trips.

The other is a video trip report of a quick overnight off-trail backpacking trip on Crown land.

Hope this helps,

- Martin