WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fish

now i dont get the ferts out as mutch as i should .........

now i dont get the ferts out as much as i should ,in some part due to a bad back and the fact that i have an allergy to ferrets! but i so love the brave little creatures.But today i decided to take them out for a bit of exercise on a local bury,in all honesty i thought it a bit cold and windy but i thaught that i would just work the dogs over ferrets,the kids came with me which didnt help either.

` Once there i slipped the 2 ferts down a hole,and up they came in usual manner and turn tail and down another,stood quietly  we could here the thumps of really annoyed  bucks below. we had with us the grey x deer my brindal stubby and a pup from last year of collie x lurcher a fine lil hedger of a dog,they were intent on the noises and smells wafting from below,often a whole head thrust into the musty tunnels.

Well i wouild like to be able to say that we cleaned up and tallied 10  rabbits but we didnt,but we had a great time ,the ferts had some fun as did the dogs. The weather savagely cold but that just made the wood burner and glass of brandy seem al that much better.

heres some pics of the late afternoon session:

DSC04490.jpg

DSC04491.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04492.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

thanks for looking.

What if they dont come out of the hole?  :unsure:  It could be a long wait. I love pictures from England.  :love:  Thanks fish.

Damn Fish I haven’t been ferreting since I was a kid. I had 7 ferrets. I would spend hours up on Bossington Hill, netting a warren sending down a ferret and knocking over the rabbits. Then move onto the next warren.  I was always accompanied by my trusty Springer Jed and the shot gun.

I hated digging the bloody things out though!

For those that don’t know what a bury is, a bury is another name for a small hill and there are many prehistoric forts on high ground in England called Bury Castle. A Bury in the rabbit context is a man made rabbit warren that has a shape of a pillow mound (a small hillock). These became very popular after the Black Death in the 12th century. During the 15th to 17th century these became large commercial enterprises. These buries were well guarded to stop poachers and there are reports of pitched battles and even deaths. There are some very famous accounts from the Norfolk area and Romany Marsh on the south coast.  

There are many prehistoric buries on Exmoor and Dartmoor, in fact 14 of the 17 buries on Dartmoor are associated with prehistoric settlements. It is reported that rabbits were introduced to England by the Normans. The fact is that Archaeological excavations at Boxgrove in West Sussex revealed rabbit remains that dated back to the Palaeolithic times which was about 500,000BP. Another recent excavation at Lynford in Norfolk has turned up rabbit bones in a Roman context and are thought to date back 2,000 years to the second Roman invasion. One thought is that the native population of rabbits became extinct, were killed out or just became a rear species and were re-introduced by the Normans.

That's really cool Fish, great pics of the country side, you and the boys. I can tell it's cold by their rosy cheeks...bet they wish they could grow a beard. It was cold here today to when i hit the woods.

Thanks for the history lesson Adi, that's my favorite subject of all. I have hunted rabbits, and I have trapped them, I knew dachshunds were bred to hunt hares, but I had no idea people used ferrets to drive them from wholes to kill them, or that there was such a thing as man made rabbit mounds over there. I learn something new every day.

That looks like so much fun!!  :woot: :woot:

Do you actually do this as a method of hunting... rabbits, ground fowl.....??

Is it a productive method of "hunting"?

Do the "Ferts" (ferret(s) on this side of the globe) work with your dog?

Do you actually "train" the ferts?

That looks like a blast my friend. and a great way to get the kids out and involved in nature.

Well done!

How bout that I learned some thing today. I thought my hard drive was full.  :unsure:  I know so much I have to forget some thing in order to learn some thing else.  :whistle: