WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

First Hike of 2010

Today was a good day for some things I wanted to do so I got up before sunrise, had a hot breakfast and headed out for the first hike of 2010.

I got up on the mountain just as the sun was coming up good.

IMG_9624.jpg

Even though it was about 17F up there, and there were some stiff breezes it was a really nice morning out.

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9707.jpg

I made a new friend, his name is Steve and he is a "musher" who is into primitive fire starting so we talked for a while about techniques.

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

There were icicles in all the water falls and all of the small marshes were frozen.

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

I found a good bit of fatwood

IMG_9627.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9695.jpg

I found some fungi, some nightshade, and some berries still on some bushes.

IMG_9685.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

By noon I was ready to gather up some tinder and wood and make a fire to warm my bones. There was definitely plenty of good tinder about, and plenty of hardwood debris.

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

All in all it was a good walk, and a good haul too.

IMG_9709.jpg

I nice walk there mate. i do love the woods in the winter when there is a hard frost on the ground. The woods feel like yours and yours alone.

Are the berries Sloes from the Black thorn? Look like it. do you have black thorn over there? If not it must be of the same species. Yummy Sloe gin is a good drink at this time of year.

I nice walk there mate. i do love the woods in the winter when there is a hard frost on the ground. The woods feel like yours and yours alone.

Are the berries Sloes from the Black thorn? Look like it. do you have black thorn over there? If not it must be of the same species. Yummy Sloe gin is a good drink at this time of year.

Thanks Adi, yeah I definitely had the woods to myself. Steve was the only other person I saw out there.

I'm not sure, I haven't had them positively identified yet and I sure won't get them identified with that pic. I thought about going back up there tomorrow for some better pictures but I'm not sure I'll get the chance. If i do I'll be sure not to leave my canteen, cup, and stove behind like I did today... all day I carried around packs of bullion wishing I hadn't been in such a hurry to get out the door....But it will probably have to wait till next weekend.

I used the hawk to spark the firesteel to start the fire. At first it still had some ice built up on it from chopping through the ice but it wore away and sparked the firesteel ok.

4e4m80oVSCU

i still got to go looking for some damn fatwood..........either im blind.......or its buried!