WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

EXOTAC nanoSTRIKER

I got a new piece of kit a few days ago. It's called a nanoSTRIKER and it's made by a company called EXOTAC. It is a small, light-weight, self-contained fire starter.

IMG_9831.jpg

It's smaller than the ferro rods I'm used to but it is the first small ferro rod I've really liked. It might be a bit more difficult to use with gloves on, and it did take me a few tries to get the speed and angle correct for best results with the striker and the mischmetal ferro rod. But after working with it for a while here at home,igniting a few tinder piles, and starting a couple of small fires... I felt comfortable taking it to the woods, and I think it is exactly what I have been waiting on. I have been waiting to find an encapsulated firesteel ever since I had an LMF Scout model completely corrode over after 10 long, sweaty hours in my pants pocket. And these pics were taken after I cleaned it up. My main concern became sweat but I also wondered if ten hours in a sweaty pocket could do that then what would extended immersion in salt water do or long term use in a salt air environment?

PICT0197.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

PICT0201.jpg

Another cool thing about the nano striker is that it doesn't matter if you're a minimalist who wants to carry as little as possible...

IMG_9882.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

or into carrying a little extra gear... it still fits in really well.

IMG_9840.jpg

These pics show how the parts are separated for use, and for replacement of the threaded ferro rod if and when you wear it down amd need to replace it. The tolerance on the threads is nice and tight so when the ferro rod is threaded in hand tight there is no play or movement at all when using it.

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9913.jpg

IMG_9915.jpg

Here's a quick little video I did of it at home the day I got it.

Oh, and by the way I am working with a sore right forefinger. Where I had gotten a little careless earlier that day.

IMG_9830.jpg

SLjN3avypjw

Then I went down on the river today and tried it out in the field to see how it would do with natural tinders out in the wind. There is still a bit of ice and snow around in places that don't get as much sun.

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

I picked some English Thistle and some other fluffy seed pods for tinder.

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

Then I gathered some dry dead branches for fuel and did a little firecrafting.

XRa40xk4oMc

:thumbsup: thats a nifty little thing. how hard is it to work with the striker? 

nano is nice i thinks as minimal as possible.

Looks like a nice little guy. I take it the striker cover screws off and then can reconnect where the lanyard connector unhooks?

:thumbsup: thats a nifty little thing. how hard is it to work with the striker? 

nano is nice i thinks as minimal as possible.

It's pretty awesome. If you're used to the LMF firesteels it may take a minute to figure it out...it's a mischmetal ferro rod so it takes less pressure and a little more speed than the harder LMF ferro rods and the striker is really sharp. The main thing is keeping a secure grip and directing your strike straight down the line of the ferro rod. It's smaller than what I am used to so I just ordered a couple of extra replacement ferro rods so I'd have one to practice with and one for later

Looks like a nice little guy. I take it the striker cover screws off and then can reconnect where the lanyard connector unhooks?

I just added in some pics that show how it separates and reassembles for use, and how it separates for replacement of worn parts so read back through.

The tolerance on the threads is nice and tight so there is no play in the ferro rod.

Great review Misty. I've never struck the mischmetal rods, I've heard people claim that they light up like little globules of molten lava. I like the way that this rod is so portable and "pack" friendly.

Great review Misty. I've never struck the mischmetal rods, I've heard people claim that they light up like little globules of molten lava. I like the way that this rod is so portable and "pack" friendly.

This thing is extremely portable. Will work on a key ring, in a pocket, it even fits nicely in the 3/8 ferro rod loop on my Breeden knives perfectly. I love this thing!

Is that what the little hole is for on the cap? For a lanyard or keyring?

The hole in the striker handle is for a lanyard , and then the is a hole in the other end for a split ring (both of which are supplied with the device) for putting it on a key ring.

Excellent piece of kit, Mist!  That first spark into the fat wood was impressive!

Thanks Bob, I thinks it's really cool. And actually, it may be because I've been sick and feeling pretty shi...err... crappy, but I haven't even tried this one with fatwood yet. The first video was bamboo shavings and the second one was with English Thistle and and some other seed pods. Both fires went up with one good spark.

Is the Nano available retail or online only?

So far I've only seen it online.

wow that is impressive

It packs a good punch for such a small tool!

I like being able to carry it like this too.

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

The hole in the striker handle is for a lanyard , and then the is a hole in the other end for a split ring (both of which are supplied with the device) for putting it on a key ring.

Thanks Bob, I thinks it's really cool. And actually, it may be because I've been sick and feeling pretty shi...err... crappy, but I haven't even tried this one with fatwood yet. The first video was bamboo shavings and the second one was with English Thistle and and some other seed pods. Both fires went up with one good spark.

I would have sworn it was fatwood the way it took that spark,  it might as well have been soaked in kerosene! 

I really like that also. Definitely have to get a couple of them.

That's the problem with magnesium and saltwater or sweat. It makes it deteriorate.

Awesome find Mist :thumbup:

I would have sworn it was fatwood the way it took that spark,  it might as well have been soaked in kerosene! 

Nope, no fatwood and no kerosene lol.

This video show how well bamboo shavings will take a spark. Which by the way bamboo shavings make great tinder but bamboo does not make the greatest fuel for burning.

MONy4VYvJpc

and this one shows how well English Thistle will take a spark

UXhAwnVQie8

I like it it looks like it works great , where can it be purchased ?

I really do like it. I want to buy a couple more but with Christmas and then paying property taxes I am on a really tight budget for the next month or so.

You can order them here

http://www.exotac.com/

I really like that thing.  I might have to pick one of those up for a daily carry. You could put it anywhere.

My thoughts exactly, anywhere on my body and in any environment.

I really like that also. Definitely have to get a couple of them.

That's the problem with magnesium and saltwater or sweat. It makes it deteriorate.

Awesome find Mist :thumbup:

What's up Tonk, haven't seen you in a while, but then again I've been busy and missed a lot....and then I've been sick too...

They are really well made, the machining is awesome.

Yeah, that was something i learned the hard way, but it stuck in my mind very well.

Guest smallgamehunter

I like being able to carry it like this too.

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

nice knives and a very awesome striker

Thanks, that knife spends more time on my belt than any other anymore, and I'm really loving this nanostriker...it goes everywhere I do

Guest smallgamehunter

i think im gonna buy one of those nano strikers and keep it on the sgh with a ranger band

i think im gonna buy one of those nano strikers and keep it on the sgh with a ranger band

They have a lanyard hole at one end and a split ring hole at the other so there are good options on securing it.

Does the new av mean you ordered another knife from Bryan.

Fancy. I like.

Yeah, I really like it too!

Guest smallgamehunter

yes mist thats the mega SGH