WildSurvive Forum
Iloveblades

Do you carry a altoids tin kit?

Or something similar?I'm thinking of putting one together and I'm trying to find what stuff to put in it.I have a general idea but can't think of anything for shelter.Garbage bags are to big.Any ideas?

Something I've never liked about Altoid tins etc as the container was the size. I don't like having to conform my kit contents on the size of the container. I secure everything in different pockets. I do like to use Altoids tins for fishing gear kit.

No i do not and never have. An Altoids tin can be used as part of a survival kit but is not big enough for as a survival kit. 

A survival kit should be fluid and change for each trip and environment you go into or comprehensive to cover every eventuality that you may encounter in your chosen actives. A survival kit needs to address the survival fundamental, shelter, water, fire and signalling. It may also be appropriate to cove food, navigation, equipment repair, hygiene, and first aid.  This can not be achieved to an desirable standard in a tin based survival kit. Shelter alone need far more space alone to be covered realistically. 

Hi all,  I do not carry the tin, but this is what I carry on my belt next to my belt knife.

It is a little black pouch that is a few inchs wide and 5" tall and a couple deep.

IMG_0624.jpg

I did add a buckle and the webbing strap just for added security and peace of mind  lol

I like to carry gear on my belt more than I do in my pocket.  like the tin seems to be for. 

Bryan

Guest smallgamehunter

i use a military issue grenade pouch instead of a tin i can fit more in the pouch and it dont take up much room on my belt    try a 6x10ft piece of 4mil plastic as your shelter if u flod the plastic it gets pretty small

I made a fire starting kit for my wife using a round altoid tin and a rubber O-ring to keep it air tight. i filled it with my homemade quick tinders. and they stay moist for a long time. going to substitute the o-ring for a range band because the ring makes it tough to open the tin.

I made a fire starting kit for my wife using a round altoid tin and a rubber O-ring to keep it air tight. i filled it with my homemade quick tinders. and they stay moist for a long time. going to substitute the o-ring for a range band because the ring makes it tough to open the tin.

Welcome to the forum! Never thought of the O-ring idea. I would say that works pretty good.

Not very. its nearly impossible to open for me with dry hands because of the way the tin opens. I think a ranger band will work better than an o-ring, time will tell. Thanks for the welcome, btw

I think they're a great idea, but I've never really found a need for them personally.  I've always worn a safety pin in my hat. It started out as a quick fix for a baseball cap that ripped, but has carried on as a 'luck' symbol. lol It's proven useful over the years for pulling splinters and so on and can be pretty handy when you forget or lose your gear.

I have made sm fishing kits out of the sm altoids tins. They work good. I have 2 altoid tin survival kits started. But I carry my PSP with me. But up here you really need to carry a more intensive survival kit in your pack.

I have also made a belt survival kit using a EMS gloveholder pouch. It holds everything including the fishing kit.

I don't carry an altoids can but I do carry a large night ize pouch and want to put some supplies in it such as a space blanket a pill fob with extra fine steel wool don't know what else not a lot of room sence I'm all ready carrying a leatherman surge and a mag light. But will play with it and post pix after its done