WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LOST

Tent Maintenance

If you use a tent, what type of maintenance do you generally use to extend the life of your tent?

seam seal is a life saver.  I also always dry the bottom of the tent off thoroughly before putting it away. As well as the rest of the tent, boots always come off first. no boots in the tent, rocks will tear up the bottom of the tent.

As OOD has mentioned ... i always make sure that the tent is dry before packing it in, i never wear shoes inside of the tent, always take them off ouside and just carry them into the tent.

As well as i will always sweep it out to make sure that there isn't any debris in the tent that could puncture the fabric.

I use a footprint made for the tent.  I fold a tarp out as a runway from the tent door to our eating location.  This is easily swept and keeps heavy mud out of the tent.  I have a small throw rug inside the doorway to catch extra dirt.  Our rainfly also extends out for a vestibule for storage for a clear box we keep our shoes in.  The box keeps bugs and snakes out and helps keep the shoes dry.  No shoes inside the tent regardless, as you can tract all kinds of scents in and that is the last thing you need in bear country.  I have a free standing tent, but I always anchor it down to prevent excessive movement.  That can wear on seams and material at rub points.  If the wind is up I will erect a wind screen from a tarp to aid in pelting driven rains as well as hail or small branches that can fly around.  As mentioned, it never gets packed while damp or dirty.  Worse thing for it.  If it is very wet we slip it into the empty shoe box and take it home and set it up indoors.  Clean and dry it there before rolling back into the bag.  Folding can cause creases that cause problems later.  Never fold the same way each time.

As some of you may have seen my tent has no floor so i dont have the same issues as many tent users. I will agree seam-seal is great.

I always unpack my tent when i get home and hang it up in the shed to dry and air. That is were it stays till the next time i need it. The pole is stored put together so not to over stretch the inner elastic cord and to protect it from abrasions.

I also clean the begs of all dirt, this is so that i dont contaminate a new site with dirt from another site. This might sound a little over the top but i feel it is wrong to increase the chance of introducing pests and deceases into a new area by bringing them in on your dirty kit.

same as everyone else said. seam sealer, make sure its dry before you pack it away. and footprints are good but not mandatory.

usually following the directions that comes with it about upkeeping the tent are good enough.