WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Wife Sharen finds a shed

~ Oh...   :unsure:  From the title of the thread, I thought you might have finally cut your grass or something. 

:rofl: :P :whistle:

Does that reeeally qualify as a shed? I don't think they usually shed skull, spine, and all do they  :unsure:

Well I guess thats true. We were shed hunting when she found it. It was just east of the farm house and I told her that bucks like to hide close to the barn and I knew the deer were going through that timber all winter. I was on the quad (the one you got stuck on Mist) when she called. She drug the thing up to the edge of the yard.

We could not find the reason for its demise as the coyotes didnt leave much.

Shes pretty happy with it Tatonka. I still have an eight pointer I found last spring along with one Blair has so were going to boil them out maybe start today. I have to run out to the farm to find a wash tub I think I saw out there. Blair did one last year and it came out good. He used his gas deep fryer and an old canning pan and than some bleach.

I have a 9 point I shot a couple of years ago.  I just hung it up on the fence and let it dry out, then took the power washer to it.  Looks pretty good now.  I will post a picture when I have a chance.

Blair has a gas powered pressure washer. Ill ask him about that. Thanks Fat Guy.

Well I guess thats true. We were shed hunting when she found it. It was just east of the farm house and I told her that bucks like to hide close to the barn and I knew the deer were going through that timber all winter. I was on the quad (the one you got stuck on Mist) when she called. She drug the thing up to the edge of the yard.

We could not find the reason for its demise as the coyotes didnt leave much.

It's an awesome find!! I'd love to find something like that! I just questioned the word shed  :whistle:

You're just never going to let me forget that one part of my first time actually taking a four wheeler out are you  ::)

I have a 9 point I shot a couple of years ago.  I just hung it up on the fence and let it dry out, then took the power washer to it.  Looks pretty good now.  I will post a picture when I have a chance.

We used to let ants do the work. We'd put crustacean exoskeletons and conk shell on fire ant mounds and let them eat away all the flesh. For something like that we'd have built a cage around the mound.

Wow what a lovely rack  :whistle:

I don't see a shed though  moose0024.gif

Here is the 9pt I got a couple of years ago.

I cut the complete head off and let it hang on the fence for most of the summer.  Didn't take long to get all the hide and flesh eaten off.  I cleaned it off with the power washer to evict any critters that tried to make it a permanent home, then let is hang in the sun to bleach.  It is about two years old now.

9PT_1.thumb.jpg.c12314a0cf826fcc3a58aff6cd44f78e.jpg

9PT_2.thumb.jpg.3b6462e0827ca978d91ddf79d342dc33.jpg

9PT_3.thumb.jpg.a367af066d647f21e0d18314141b0a54.jpg

Thats a good find. That deer would look good in the new room  you just finished Swede.

Thats where its going KW along with another one I got last year. I told Blair about the pressure washer. Hes got a gas powered one that will work. Were going to boil them soon. Blair put bleach on the one he did and it came out really white than I think he put some clear coat of something on it.

thats awsome swede. my brother found a skul once nd we boild it off realy well ad then my grandfather puta dreamcatcher in the antlers it still has some of the fur ill have to snap a picture of it for you all to see

I found a small one today. The base had good thickness so it wasnt a yearling buck.

shed3002.jpg

Member Sonny found the mate to my shed today. It had been chewed some what indicating it had been laying for quite awhile. He must have shed these very early in the winter. Ill give him mine to make a set for him.

We have no idea why we lost so many big bucks this winter. I could find no cause of death like an arrow or deer slug laying in the area. It could be it had been wounded and ran off to die and no one went looking for him or he was just run down because there is such an imbalance of does for bucks. I counted 40 does in our back field last winter and only four bucks. Its possible that the breeding season lasts so long for the bucks that they dont survive the winter in their weakened state.

The other skull had been there all last summer and died the winter before.

Today's finds. One set and a single. Two year olds I suspect. One side of the set was on the edge of the yard at the farm and the other was nearly a mile straight west. This young buck was a scrapper with two tines broken clean off.

antlersandstuff002.jpg

Increased coyotes?

I've heard of packs of wild dogs making real inroads into deer populations, and maybe not even killing them directly but increasing the stress to the point where something else gets them.

The coyotes devoured four full grown cows that died and at least two full grown bucks this winter. We have a coyote problem but Im planning to play dirty this spring and do some calling while they have pups. They have to hunt day and night to feed them and are more likely to come to a call.

Get 'em early enough and the pups won't survive.  Wonder if a biologist could come up with the average birth date for coyote pups?

Breeding occurs in February in southern states, and March in northern states. The gestation period is 63 days, and the female coyote will stay underground with her young until their eyes open 11 or 12 days later. During this time the male will bring food for the female and then help bring food to the den for the coyote pups.

Litter sizes average 5 to 7 pups in many areas. Litter sizes seem to be dependent upon coyote population densities. Litters may average 8 or 9 pups where coyote populations are sparse, but on the other hand, this phenomenon may reflect healthier coyotes due to an abundance of food.