WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Machine

Can Stoves

Alan Halcon posted about these stoves on Les' site.......way back.  I made a few of them and always thought it was a good skill, because you can find garbage anywhere to make them.  You might not want a fire, but need something to cook on or a little light or heat.  So these seemed good.  First has anyone made them?  Second...here was always my thougt.  Yes, I can find thrown away cans, just about anywhere in the woods (sad I know), BUT what can I use for fuel?  I usually don't carry the alchohol it uses.  So I started trying to come up with other ways to use this.  The one I came up with today is something I always have with me in my pack.  Hand sanitizer.  I tried it out today.  Although it wasn't the best....it was really good.  So can you come up with other ideas? 

canstovedz0.jpg

Machine, I drink 2 beers a day, so I make 2 alcohol can stoves each day and give them to friends, etc....

Yes, they work great!  You can use one in your tent, but first put it inside an empty tuna can for added support, and not burn it down around you, just don't knock it over!!!

FUELS:

1. Denatured Alcohol - this is the best fuel to use.  Burns blue (can't see it in daylight), so be careful.  Does not soot up your pots.  Costs $6.00/quart @ WalMart.

2. HEET Gasline AntiFreeze (in the YELLOW bottle, not the RED bottle) - this is my favorite fuel to use.  100% pure methanol (ethanol from corn).  Burns blue (can't see it in daylight), so be careful.  Does not soot up your pots.  Costs $0.98/12oz. @ WalMart.  3 of these is a quart @ $3.00.  That's half the price of denatured alcohol.

3. 70% or 91% Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol - if I am desperate, I use these.  91% is better, with only 9% water, you do the math.  Burns yellow in daylight (you can see it).  Soots up your pots bigtime.  Costs $1.00/16oz. @ WalMart.

I can burn 1oz. of either of these fuels for around 20 minutes.  So a 12oz or 16oz. bottle will last for awhile.

I pour 1oz. of fuel into my beer can or soda can alcohol stove, then set it inside an empty 6.5oz tuna can for added safety and stability.  Also, if you pour a small amount of fuel into the tuna can, then light it, it will heat up the fuel in the can stove and make it boil/vaporize and burn quicker.

heet_yellow.jpg.e4906837fde39c153d92e039bb824a08.jpg

I made plenty of these type before, but I made a change.

I prefer the type where the top section slides down inside the bottom section for added safety and more fuel.

I found that if you slide the top section down over the outside of the bottom section, you have to cut slits in the bottom section, creating less room for fuel in the bottom section, and creating leaks.

Reverse this, cutting clits in the top section, then sliding it down inside the bottom section, letting the bottom section be taller, therefore creating more room for fuel, and NO leaks.

I also found that if you cut the top out of the top section, you can just pour fuel directly into the bottom section.  This large opening makes the fuel ignite faster and makes it vaporize out of the top jets quicker, too.

How would a tea light candle work on one of these stoves ? It would be compact enough to fit in a kit and serve more that one purpose .