WildSurvive Forum
Captain Casual

Spring loaded fish trap

No more than it costs you cant go wrong but with fishing its not so much how to set the hook but more about getting the fish to bite. Ive found that if the fish are hungry they will hook themselves. Buy one and do a demonstration for us.   ;)

I have a number of them and i can't fish for toffee but these work very well.

I have used them all over the place and catch fish on them but Swede is right the fish have to be biting. My belief is that fish have to eat so if you present them food they will eventually take it, these sort of things allow you to present the food for much longer, you leave them until the food is taken whether that is a couple of hours or a couple of days.

But i must stress again fishing really does not work for me, these sort of automatic things is the only way I can catch fish. In Guyana i could not even catch bait fish when everyone else around me was.

The biggest advantage with these things is that you can get on with other things whilst they fish for you but you can make your own fishing lines too such as long lines and stuff to catch fish whilst you are away doing other things.

You can also use these to take ground feeding birds and waterfowl or use them as triggers for traps for mammals and the like.   

They do Swede, very well. Unfortunately these sort of things are illegal here so i cant do a tutorial on them but i will be demonstrating them on a course next month, time permitting i will take some photos.

I have 4 yoyos, they are good when they work but i seem to get them jammed though. Mine are the metal ones you can also get them in plastic. Anyone used the plastic ones, i am wondering if they would be better because they would be made to better tolerances so less inclined to jam.

They are pretty cheaply made. Ive never used mine and I wonder how well they will hold up under a big catfish.

Legalities are something I haven't checked yet. Using them as snares is a brilliant idea, If I do get a couple that's something I will definitely have to try. Maybe even do a demo. Cheers for the info guys.

Guest smallgamehunter

i have used yoyos and caught plenty of catfish bass and turtles on them with no issues at all.  the biggest fish i have caught on a yoyo was a 8lb channel catfish and it sat overnight before i got to it.  swede i used to hang mine from the cleats on my boat and let them fish for catfish while i fished with rod and reel for other species.

i been using them for 10 plus years with no problems