WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

A New Light and Some Spring Photos

A friend of mine found a type of light he really likes a while back and he just gifted me one. I played with it some and I see why he likes them so much. I wanted to experiment some more with lighting and shutter speeds so I rode over to a friend's office for a while this afternoon. Kim is a massage therapist who is into flowers so the three acres of field behind her office is really coming to life right now. I thought that should be a good place to study lighting and shading. I even got a royal reception

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

I thing spring has definitely arrived.

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

I walked down to the creek where her fire pit is and hung out for a while listening to the babble of the brook, rearranging some gear, messing with the new light, and enjoying the peace and quiet.

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

This is looking back up from the creek, my trucks in this picture too....sort of center-left.

IMG_3544.jpg

The light is a "Black Crater, Hyper-bright Cord Lock" LED light from Photon light dot com, and this is how it comes, in a little blister pack. If you get one make sure you read the info on the invoice about it being shipped in a protective "demo mode" and how to un-do that.

IMG_3532.jpg

It's not very big at all.

IMG_3441.jpg

But the opening is large enough to easily slide doubled paracord through.

IMG_3446.jpg

I at first put it on a section of paracord already on the pack just to see how it worked. It has three different modes, low, high, and flash. I could tell it's a pretty bright little light even out in the bright sunlight. Here it's off.

IMG_3455.jpg

Low

IMG_3453.jpg

High

IMG_3454.jpg

Later on I cut another piece of paracord and put it on the shoulder strap of my pack.

IMG_3572.jpg

Then tonight I learned I really do like the light, to be so small it does give a lot of light. I think I am going to get a few more.

IMG_3576.jpg

Contrary to popular opinion direct sun light can be your enemy when your trying to capture color especially in close ups. The bright light can wash out the sharpness and contrast of colors. They make a polarizer lens for the old film cameras so I would think you could get one for some of the newer digital cameras that have  the changeable lenses.

I have a set of Cokin Filters I used to play with in my film camera days. Ill look up a couple of examples if I can find them. You can also try Adobe Photo PC programs and some others to manipulate your photos.

Heres two examples of filters. Sharens picture used a sepia filter but the scratch came from a digital glitch>

swans3.jpg

wifesharenandredsunset.jpg

Yeah, I know there are a lot of shots where a filter would help and add a cool look, I am looking into them. But just adjusting the shutter speed, aperture size, and distance helps a lot on a lot of my nature shots and since I am in and out of light and shadow so much adjusting those is going to be quicker and easier than changing out a filter adapter...I think.

The filters dont cost much and unless your camera has a lens cover the adapter wont work any way. Find colored clear plastic and just hold it over the lens. With digital its instant results to look at.

The filters dont cost much and unless your camera has a lens cover the adapter wont work any way. Find colored clear plastic and just hold it over the lens. With digital its instant results to look at.

This camera uses "lens converters" that go on over the lens and are held on with a collar. So far the only three I've found for it are; wide angle, telephoto, and one that's a light filter. But...that translucent plastic sounds like a good idea.

Nice pics....

Where do you get a little light like that?  That thing is great. I can think of a ton of uses for it. 

Nice pics....

Where do you get a little light like that?  That thing is great. I can think of a ton of uses for it. 

Thanks glad you liked the photos. That one was a gift from a friend in the U.K., and it came from Photon Light dot com...but REI has them too.

Here is a spring picture I took Sunday..

springpics009.jpg

BloodRoot

Nice shot Dorothy! I didn't see any blood wort here at all yet this year. Gotta love spring!

Mist....you had some beautiful spring shots on here....I need to check it out more often...I miss looking at all the pics everyone here posts.....

Mist....you had some beautiful spring shots on here....I need to check it out more often...I miss looking at all the pics everyone here posts.....

Thank you Doro, yeah...there's just not much color here in the winter...just shades of brown and grey with green specs here and there...

That Nikon you got Doro takes the most crisp clear pictures Ive ever seen. If I hadnt spent all my money on a tractor Id buy me one.  :'(

That Nikon you got Doro takes the most crisp clear pictures Ive ever seen. If I hadnt spent all my money on a tractor Id buy me one.  :'(

Im starting to like the camera....didnt at first....but now think it was just because the gray days of winter....there is sooooooooooooooooooo much to learn to do with this camera...I have barely scratched the surface... I will have more pics later...

Im starting to like the camera....didnt at first....but now think it was just because the gray days of winter....there is sooooooooooooooooooo much to learn to do with this camera...I have barely scratched the surface... I will have more pics later...

I had the same issue, but having gotten mine last summer I I knew it was just the winter making me not like the pictures as much with all the absence of color. Just wait till you start playing with the shutter speed and aperture sizes...up there with all the wide open space you should get a wide angle lens and then play with it some. I see awesome sunrise and sunset pics in the future!