WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Some Urban Observations

Went out early this morning to do some studies in lighting, contrast, composition, and shutter speeds. At first it was just about photography experiments...then it became an urban hike...which always leads to more observations. Went with loaded pockets.

IMG_3699.jpg

It was about 5:30 when I got to the "North Shore" as it is called these days. The mixed light gave me some entertainment for a few minutes, a bank on the left, gas station on the right, and across the street my destination to be (in a couple of hours after my hands started getting cold from the wind blowing down river) Stone Cup Coffee shop.

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

The shore edge of Coolidge Park, the Delta Queen, and the Walnut St. Walking Bridge in the back ground.

IMG_3919.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

The south Shore.

IMG_3920.jpg

Sunrise

IMG_3929.jpg

After the sun started up I went for a hike around the area. Even if "surviving" I think it's good to just stop and enjoy the view now and then...my thinking being that if I could no longer enjoy the beautiful things around me anymore then for what reason exactly am I trying to survive?

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

I noticed various food sources and signs of others. There were a couple of groundhogs munching on the edge of the river bank.

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

some water fowl

IMG_3948.jpg

I was too far away for it to show up clearly but than line of opened muscle shells washed up on the shore is a sure sign of Muskrats in the area.

IMG_3934.jpg

Of course you'd have to set up any traps out of sight of our big brother...

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

Lots of wild onions around, and not just little onions either.

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

Then I found these...I need to get them identified but the largest leaves were about two feet long and eight or nine inches wide.

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

I found this drive pin just sticking up out of the grass...could have been useful as an improvised tool or weapon.

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

Having skipped breakfast...and then so much time studying possible foods... my stomach started growling about 12:30 or so...time to find something to eat. I ended up at the River House Bar and Grill on Frazier Ave. Thought I'd take a picture that Jeff might like...

IMG_3950.jpg

Cheese Quesadilla with portabella mushrooms MMMMMMM MMMMMMM!!

IMG_3951.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the hike, I sure did :D

The water bird is called Green Heron or "Little Green Heron".  The big leaf plant Ive seen and at one time I knew the "given name" and not the official name but Im thinking it has something to do with tobacco or mock tobacco but I cant be sure.

For a city it seems to be very picturesque and colorful. Thanks for the effort.

The water bird is called Green Heron or "Little Green Heron".  The big leaf plant Ive seen and at one time I knew the "given name" and not the official name but Im thinking it has something to do with tobacco or mock tobacco but I cant be sure.

For a city it seems to be very picturesque and colorful. Thanks for the effort.

Thanks, I knew that bird looked familiar...just not used to seeing many up here.

Yeah...it's really nice here in a lot of ways...if it was only the crap that scares me it would be easy to move...as it is there is just so much that I do like about this city.

A great little outing, Mist. Thanks for taking us along and sharing the experience.

Thanks OFG, yeah I had a great time...even if my hands were about numb by the time I got that cup of coffee  :)