WildSurvive Forum

Another fun trip. I made it home a short while ago. I've been all over Virginia and Maryland sight seeing. Adirondack wildberry sauce was hit. Shoo-fly pie disappeared. Knives were played with. No major injuries to speak of. Pictures to come.

p4260102.jpg

Kells Bells tried hammock camping this weekend.

p4260103.jpg

p4260106.jpg

Dinner Friday night. A watched pot does in fact not boil.

p4260107.JPG

p4260109j.jpg

p4260111.jpg

Saturday

Garlic bannock cooked on a coffee can lid.

p4270119.jpg

I put some dried fruit in the batter. Now, I can just flip the lid and the fruit keeps the bannock off the surface of the grill.

p4270123.jpg

wecome back muddy. looks like a lot of fun. I love that fire picture. and as always, looks like you ate great  :thumbup:  how did kells bells like the hammock camping.

wecome back muddy. looks like a lot of fun. I love that fire picture. and as always, looks like you ate great  :thumbup:  how did kells bells like the hammock camping.

She faired better in the hammock then I did in the tent. She used a yoga pad which was too short so she had cold feet. I tried using a wool army blanket with a fleece blanket underneath. The wool blanket provided almost no insulation and compressed the fleece blanket. I slept cold for two nights.

She faired better in the hammock then I did in the tent. She used a yoga pad which was too short so she had cold feet. I tried using a wool army blanket with a fleece blanket underneath. The wool blanket provided almost no insulation and compressed the fleece blanket. I slept cold for two nights.

Sounds like she is on the right track. With nothing under the hammock, it keeps you cool in the summer, but you can get cold.  You need to use an "under quilt", which is tied on, usually with shock cord under the hammock. This way, it insulates and blocks the wind, but since you are not laying on it, it does not compress.  I have tied on a "woobie" (poncho liner), and even that makes a world of difference.  I hear a lot of people will use an under quilt or just something to block the wind, then lay on their Thermarest inside the hammock and cover with a blanket and sleeping bag.

Looks like a great time, Muddy. Thanks for the pictures.

I just use a cheapo army closed cell foam pad. Works great. Ive seen the under quilts and they do look warm. The only isue ive had with thrrmorests in they slide around a lot and tend to over compress at the hips and over inflate at the foot and back.

I just use a cheapo army closed cell foam pad. Works great. Ive seen the under quilts and they do look warm. The only isue ive had with thrrmorests in they slide around a lot and tend to over compress at the hips and over inflate at the foot and back.

I use one of the closed cell (is that right? the opposite of inflatable) and never had any problems with compression or sliding.

I use one of the closed cell (is that right? the opposite of inflatable) and never had any problems with compression or sliding.

yep. just like the blue cheapos from walmart and the green ones from any army surplus store. I like the thinner army one for the hammock.

My idea of a good time in the woods is a get together. Being cold all night sucks. Canvas tarp worked for me but too heavy for packing. Never slept in a hammock and never will. Id feel like I was suffocating.    :P  Thanks again Muddy.  :arigato:

My idea of a good time in the woods is a get together. Being cold all night sucks. Canvas tarp worked for me but too heavy for packing. Never slept in a hammock and never will. Id feel like I was suffocating.    :P  Thanks again Muddy.  :arigato:

I hate to be cold, lord knows ive spent enough nights on the ground with everything from blankets to airpads to pine bows to thermarests. its nice to think hey, the old timers did it so im going to, theres a reason we have modern high end camping gear. its desighned to be warmer, better and more comfortable. yeah they climbed mountains in the olden days with wool clothes and silk liners but if that was the best  do you really think theyd be using modern synthetics now. I love the idea of getting back to olden times when camping wasn't camping, but a way of life. but ill be damned if I give up a good nights sleep freezing on the ground  using something old timey when I have a nice comfy thermarest laying at home. (unless your gear testing of course, then anything goes  :P  im glad you survived muddy, a cold nights sleep sucks. been there many times myself my friend. each and every one a learning experience.  my sleeping pad is still my favorite piece of camping gear. its only second to my knife only because I can still make fire without matches. otherwise it would maby be third.

Horace Kephart said something to the point of:

The outdoors is hard enough under the best circumstances.

Inexperienced city folk go to rough it. Experienced outdoorsman go to smooth it out.   

Or in the words of one of the folks who was at this weekends camp: You take your fanny pack kit and garbage bag. Good luck. I'm bringing a backpack with a tent and sleeping bag. I'll be alive tomorrow morning.

Inexperienced city folk go to rough it. Experienced outdoorsman go to smooth it out.   

Or in the words of one of the folks who was at this weekends camp: You take your fanny pack kit and garbage bag. Good luck. I'm bringing a backpack with a tent and sleeping bag and I'll still be be alive tomorrow morning.

lol, sounds like a very smart outdoorsy person. nothing replaces a good nights sleep. it helps you think, it helps you keep a good head on your shoulders and it gives you something to look forward too when your hard day of surviving comes to an end.  :thumbup:

you have no idea exactly how perfect this statement is. it says everything.  :arigato:

I've never been uncomfortable camping, mostly because of good gear, I would rather spend a rainy cold nasty day in the woods over a nice day in the city.  Nature is my refuge.