WildSurvive Forum

Last summer after a heavy rain storm we had a major flood in the river that flows through our town. Two different motorists drove into the flooded roads and drowned. Both drivers did NOT know how to swim so they stayed in their vehicles and perished.

With that in mind I think Im going to add a requirement for survival is at least have some fundamental training in swimming. There is NO WAY I would have stayed in my truck with the knowledge that it was going to fill with water. Even the victims not knowing how to swim the chances of survival are going to be improved OUTSIDE of a vehicle going under water. In the vehicle there is no hope of survival however the victim was paralyzed with fear not knowing how to swim so both just sat there talking on a cell phone and perished.

Now if your just stranded in a vehicle that is not going under water than stay with the vehicle for as long as you can. If you eventually have to abandon your car and have some swimming experience than float with the current with your feet facing down stream and just concentrate on keeping your head above water and hope the current will take you some place of safety.

If any member does NOT know how to swim it is my suggestion to go to the YMCA or some place where there is a pool with instructors and at least learn the things to keep you afloat. This should at least give you some confidence or the courage to get out of that sinking vehicle and survive.

WELL IF SOMEONE DOESNT KNOW HOW, I GOT A POOL....COME ON OVER FOR A BEER, AND GET IN THE POOL!

lol

Guest smallgamehunter

im a certified scuba diver so i can swim better underwater then on the surface

Spent a lot of time in the swimming pool during the summers when I was growing up. Even took a course to be a certified life guard.

One thing a lot of people do not think about is that if their vehicle goes into deep water the electrical can short out and the electric windows may not work. We have had repeated showings of how to use a spring loaded punch to break your drivers side window once under water. One journalist actually went down in a sinking car to show how to use the punch to escape. Brave and thorough reporting, but haven't seen that reporter since. Does anyone here have a spring punch in the car for his purpose? Or possibly a pocket knife with a window breaker attachment? My truck has roll down windows, one less thing to go wrong.

We carry two of these in our vehicles>

* 3 LED Light & Reflective Light

* Glass Hammer

* Whistle

* Seatbelt Cutter

* Airbag Puncher

21boere4nglaa280lx9.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-19

This tool breaks car windows and cuts seat belts and punctures air bags in case of an emergency.

WELL IF SOMEONE DOESNT KNOW HOW, I GOT A POOL....COME ON OVER FOR A BEER, AND GET IN THE POOL!

lol

Well, I know how to swim, I'm just not sure I know how to drink beer, I'll be over at your place by the pool and we can practice THAT!

Well sad to say i don't know how to swim !  It's something I've put off for years , i do a good bit of fishing and have been in some pretty rough water off shore and it doesn't bother me , but it is something that i need to learn .

You live below sea level and you cant swim.  :scared:  Holey yikes man go to a swimming pool and dog paddle or some thing.  :nono:

Well, I know how to swim, I'm just not sure I know how to drink beer, I'll be over at your place by the pool and we can practice THAT!

Now THERE'S a plan!!

I can swim well enough to get to shore if I fall in, but I don't have the skills of ol' Johnny Weismiller.  Now I can FLOAT like nobody's business!! 

Now THERE'S a plan!!

I can swim well enough to get to shore if I fall in, but I don't have the skills of ol' Johnny Weismiller.  Now I can FLOAT like nobody's business!!  

An object that sinks displaces an amount of fluid equal to the object's displaced volume. Thus buoyancy is expressed through Archimedes' Principle, which states that the weight of the object is reduced by its volume multiplied by the density of the fluid. If the weight of the object is less than this displaced quantity, the object floats; if more, it sinks. The amount of fluid displaced is directly related (via Archimedes' Principle) to its weight.

In the case of an object that sinks (is totally submerged), the volume of the object is displaced. In the case of an object that floats, the amount of fluid displaced will be equal in weight to the displacing object.

Applications of displacement

Displacement can be used to measure the volume of a solid object, even if its form is not regular.(Bob) Several methods of such measuring exist. In one case the increase of water level is registered as the object is immersed into the water. In the second case the object is immersed into a vessel full of water, causing it to overflow.(Bath Tub) Then the overflown water is collected and its volume measured.(90%) In the third case the object is suspended under the surface of the water and the increase of weight of the vessel is measured. It is equivalent to the weight of the amount of water that has the volume equal to the one of the suspended object.

8|

You live below sea level and you cant swim.  :scared:  Holey yikes man go to a swimming pool and dog paddle or some thing.  :nono:

I know , i need to learn , by the way where i am it's 59 feet above sea level , any higher than than and I'm in trouble ! I will try to learn this summer though , my daughter will teach me she's been able to swim like a fish since she was 2 !

As long as you can float and keep your head above water that should work better than not knowing how to swim at all.

In the case of an object that floats, the amount of fluid In the third case the object is suspended under the surface of the water and the increase of weight of the vessel is measured. It is equivalent to the weight of the amount of water that has the volume equal to the one of the suspended object.

I was about to say that based on the object's density it is not necessarily equivalent to the weight of the amount of water that has been displaced. However, that only applies to an object that has sunk to the bottom.

My dad taught me how to swim when I was 6 years old and we were living in Bermuda.  Once I learned to dog-paddle, I was unstoppable!  :grin:

I used to have horrible nightmares about Ashley falling into deep, cold, dark water and I couldn't find her.  So, when she was 2 years old, I enrolled her in the YMCA swimming classes.  She started out as a little Guppy, then became a Minnow, then a full-fledged Shark.  :thumbsup:  She loved to swim and I never had another nightmare about her drowning. 

Sometimes I wonder if I was having premonitions that prompted me to get her into swim classes at an early age?  Or if I was simply being a typical "Mom" and all moms have nightmares like that?  :P

Well sad to say i don't know how to swim !  It's something I've put off for years , i do a good bit of fishing and have been in some pretty rough water off shore and it doesn't bother me , but it is something that i need to learn .

tsegura, learn how to swim for your children's sake.  If you are ever in a situation where one of your kids falls into water, you will be better prepared to rescue them.  :yes:  Make it a family thing!  Take lessons together!  :thumbsup:

My older brothers taught me to swim by throwing me into the Forked Deer River.    It wasn't to hard once I got out of the bag.

My older brothers taught me to swim by throwing me into the Forked Deer River.    It wasn't to hard once I got out of the bag.

:woot:  :rofl: