WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Health Care 2010

As you may have heard last year and into 2010 has been a bumpy road for our family. My wife Sharen lost her mother and than her brother last year and I lost my father this year. These things happen to families and like it or not we all will be faced with this sooner or later.

I have found that a persons private life will become brought into life after a persons death while going through the personal effects.

I have decided to share some thoughts we just recently found in her brother Johns personal effects. A few years ago we noticed John had begun to put on weight suddenly and noticed swelling in his legs and body. We convinced him that some thing was wrong so he agreed that I take him to the emergency room. There they found that he had had a silent heart attack. He lost a large portion of his heart and was put on medicine to control his fluid and heart rate. He recovered mostly for a time but soon went back to heavy smoking. He started having trouble with his prostrate.

He loved his Mustang convertible and his music he was constantly gathering and recording. At his mothers funeral I over heard him tell the funeral director that he will be the next to go and sure to his prediction he was.

The day he was found dead (he lived alone) we found he only had $15 dollars to his name. Just recently we heard from one of his surviving sons that he had $13,000 in credit card debt at the time of his death.Thats when we realized he had very little health care and was charging his medicine and hospital bills to his credit card and had quit his medicine because he just couldnt afford it.Basically he had just decided to quit his medication and thats why he had predicted his demise.

He was found lying on his couch covered by a blanket as if he just laid down and went to sleep. It was found that he had just carried in a heavy ream of paper to start a project for a picture album and apparently felt the heart attack coming on and just laid down alone and passed away.

Say and believe what you will about the Obama health care but until you find yourself faced with the consequences of an out of control health care system in this country you may change your mind. The total of his estate went to pay his credit card charges. A sad end to a mans life long struggles by dieing alone and broke.

Thank you for noticing TSS. Im afraid this scenario is happening all over the country and many parts of the world. A fine state of affairs that unregulated capitalism and corporate greed along with a spoiled society has let it deteriorate to this reality. Add to it the way we let an entire lifetime of accumulation wealth be stripped from our senior citizens as health care costs and nursing homes grab every thing they have left.

Swede, our society has a lot to learn from other countries who continue to honor the elderly and consider it a privilege to have their parents live with them in their old age.

I have totally convinced Ashley that she will be so blessed having me in her home when I'm old.  I've drilled it into her head since she was little.  :rofl:

The only thing I have against Obama care is that Americans lost freedom. We are "forced" to buy healthcare against our will. I would rather die a screaming death from bone cancer than to lose any freedom.

An easy alternative is to mandate that hospitals offer pre-paid healthcare and localize healthcare. 50,000(small city) people paying $50 a month is 2.5 million dollars a month in income for the hospital. Double the monthly fee and its still affordable. Hospitals can run off these amounts of money a month. Doing this you take out the middleman(insurance companies). All insurance companies do is take your money and hand it to someone else. Much for efficient if the money changes 2 hands rather than 3.

thats horrible, i find it hard to swallow the fact that you guys/gals( american) go to the hospital for a life needed surgery, injury, meds....wichever....and you get the bill/......and people could die, since they simply cant afford it.......

i break a finger or a leg..........papercut or a severed limb...........skin tag removed or open brain surgery............it all costs the same........ZERO $$$$$$

and our taxes are about on par......for the most part

its sad that the healthcare sector has to run to try and make a profit........when its a service industry!!!

take care of the people.....to hell with the profit

thats my $0.02!

Okay, I just had my first fight with my new insurance company.  I'm a contract employee, so I have to pay for my own insurance.  It is costing me $400/month and I purchased some extra insurance for hospital stays.  You never know, right?

Well, unfortunately, I had two ER visits in the past couple of months.  I got all the insurance claims forms in and guess what?  They say I own over $4000!!!  :o  I called the insurance company and they told me that since I wasn't actually admitted to the hospital, they only pay up to $2500/year in "out of hospital" expenses.  That $2500/year is supposed to cover all my doctor visits, all my allergy shots, and all my prescriptions, but the insurance company applied it all to my ER visits and now I have to pay for everything out of pocket.   :ranting:

I

The only thing I have against Obama care is that Americans lost freedom. We are "forced" to buy healthcare against our will. I would rather die a screaming death from bone cancer than to lose any freedom.

An easy alternative is to mandate that hospitals offer pre-paid healthcare and localize healthcare. 50,000(small city) people paying $50 a month is 2.5 million dollars a month in income for the hospital. Double the monthly fee and its still affordable. Hospitals can run off these amounts of money a month. Doing this you take out the middleman(insurance companies). All insurance companies do is take your money and hand it to someone else. Much for efficient if the money changes 2 hands rather than 3.

Not a bad idea jemarque.  I agree completely with the loss of freedom.  There is NOTHING our Fed Government should force us to do.  It's exactly what this country rebelled against in 1776. 

They force people to have car insurance so when a guy crashes into you he can pay for the damages. They force us to pay taxes so we can have hospitals, police, fire departments, ambulances, drinking water brought to our homes, sewer disposal, police, a standing army. Do I need to go on.

I know its fun to talk about loss of freedoms but without government you couldnt leave the house safely. Remember the draft? Uncle Sam was planning to send me to Viet Nam on my high school trip.

The media focuses on the tea party and they miss the point. It isnt about left or right but the influence of big money buying up the congress.The survivalists out in the woods are looked upon to be radical nut cases that want to over through the government but in fact they are preparing to defend themselves not attack any body.Attacking the government would be suicide.

Its a shame and an embarrassment to the length the right is going to to get themselves back in office. I dont care if they do. Then they can face the mess the country is in and show us how to fix it. Fat chance of that happening with either party.

Until this country can come to grips with unregulated Capitalism and corporate greed and big money influence in Washington we will continue to see the demise of the middle class and the loss of more freedoms.

I dont see any light at the end of the tunnel so Im going to keep on trying to be prepared as best I can and be prepared to defend my family. Thats why were here.

They force people to have car insurance so when a guy crashes into you he can pay for the damages. They force us to pay taxes so we can have hospitals, police, fire departments, ambulances, drinking water brought to our homes, sewer disposal, police, a standing army. Do I need to go on.

I know its fun to talk about loss of freedoms but without government you couldnt leave the house safely. Remember the draft? Uncle Sam was planning to send me to Viet Nam on my high school trip.

The media focuses on the tea party and they miss the point. It isnt about left or right but the influence of big money buying up the congress.The survivalists out in the woods are looked upon to be radical nut cases that want to over through the government but in fact they are preparing to defend themselves not attack any body.Attacking the government would be suicide.

Its a shame and an embarrassment to the length the right is going to to get themselves back in office. I dont care if they do. Then they can face the mess the country is in and show us how to fix it. Fat chance of that happening with either party.

Until this country can come to grips with unregulated Capitalism and corporate greed and big money influence in Washington we will continue to see the demise of the middle class and the loss of more freedoms.

I dont see any light at the end of the tunnel so Im going to keep on trying to be prepared as best I can and be prepared to defend my family. Thats why were here.

If you do not want to pay car insurance you have the option to never drive it on public roads or even own a car, . The Obama care is not a tax. Its telling you how to spend your money, if you do not spend your money the way the goverment tells you, you get a nice IRS penalty. At one time you had the option to pay a fire tax. If you didn't pay they would let your house burn down. In Morehead City NC, a community was purely on well water for drinking water, but the gov't forced them onto public water systems.

Then the question becomes, how many small freedoms do we give up before they start taking big ones? As it stands now, if you put the left in charge you will lose freedom because they can't impliment their idology without doing so.

The answer to our countries problems is a redistribution of work and power, not wealth. We currently have too few individuals doing most of the work in America. What we need to do is to get more people to do more work. Example: In corporate owned mega farm communities, the people mostly live in shanty towns with little in offered services, and are unable to support other businesses. In communities surrounded by family farms, the towns and cities are larger and more prosperous than those of the mega-farm communities, and are able to support other businesses. Franchise(individually owned) chain resturants make more people wealthy than resturant chains that are 100% corporate owned. Which will make more people prosperous, 10 logging companies in a state, or 1 mega logging company? 10 logging companies creates 10 owners, 1 mega company has only 1. Allow people to do what ever they want, just limit how much they can do, so others have more opportunity to work.

As for the redistribution of power, give more power to the states and cities. Like with my previous health care solution. You can let individual cities regulate the Hospitals in their district, like they do with electric companies. They won't let the Hospitals charge to much or they will not get re-elected, and they won't let Hospitals not get paid enough or they won't have a Hospital. If you live in that city and you do not like its health-care system, you can vote at the ballot or you can vote with your feet. If the gov't runs health care theres nothing you can do but take it up the butt. Let the states completely run welfare programs. They can collect the taxes and make their own policy on how it is to be implimented. If they people don't like it they can vote new people in or move to another state.

Another idea is to offer incentives for people to make co-ops(where every individual in the company owns a equal share of the company and get equal amount of profit that the compay generates). Such as free to almost free gov't loans to groups of individuals starting a business together as a co-op.

On another note, the teaparty was started because a large number of people felt that they were not being represented by either party.

But in the end lol, we are all just pissing in the wind on this thread. Unless we take our ideas past this board, we are all just mearly venting our frustrations on eachother.

You are so right about corporate influence on our economy. In effect they depend on investors IE the stock market to fund their business. People who invest in these companies expect a good return for their money so the corporation will do what ever it takes to return a profit. So in effect people with money to invest expect to make more money with out actually having to punch a time clock and at the same time expect those who do punch a time clock to work for less and produce more.

Karl Marx warned us that this would happen. Basically he surmised that the adversarial relationship between worker/management and the run away profit incentives would eventually gather up all the wealth and then the rich would then buy up government in order to make it easier to make more profit.With the ever increasing amount of money it takes to get elected politicians need more and more money. That sets the stage for big money to buy up influence. Without campaign finance reform this will never change. Fat chance of that happening any time soon.Then we end up with millions of gallons of oil floating around in the Gulf.

We all share the blame. Our spoiled society cant live without our cell phones, over priced houses, fancy cars we drive like idiots down the expressway.

Your right about wasting our breath talking about it thats why we as wildsurvivors can try to get prepared in as many ways as we can to survive in this climate.