WildSurvive Forum
Bushman5

Survival is not a pissing contest

yea the title is dangerous.......... happy114.gif but it needs to be said.  All too often people get caught up (especially on the WWW) in how much training and skills and tools and knives and gear they have, and criticize those who have less training than them. In real life however its not so simple. Many times people with ZERO training have survived in the woods, and many times those with much training have not. 

Survival is NOT A PISSING contest! its all about HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO LIVE.

people can surprise you.................

nuff said.

OH YAH I guess you havent seen Bear Grylls drinking his own piss or elephant piss.  :D

Personal ability, control of your fears, your ability to think and reason under great stress, life lessons that may help. health and conditioning and in the end its just luck sometimes.

That's ne of the things I like about this sight we take people at. All levals of knowledge and help them out to the best of our abilities. The group of people here are like an extended family to me

I totally agree with you!  Or I should say...I agree that's how it SHOULD be!  But unfortunately, it usually isn't that way.  I have encountered a few "experts" or people who trained with or read a book by a certain "expert" and everyone else knows nothing. It really is sad.  Instead of trying to help people and SHARE they want to try to show you they are "the best".  I avoid idiots like that....no matter what their skills really are....I can't stand that.  I was lucky enough to train with a guy (a couple actually) who don't have that mentality.....they are students of the bush.....not "experts".

Well said, Bushman.  Will and determination are worth a heckuva lot, and I'm sure some of the 'experts' are likely to lay down and die before the person with the guts and will does.

~ I think a good sense of humor can get you a long way in a lot of situations. (But that's probably 'cause I can't piss very far.)  :unsure:

Uh er umm I better not.  :angel:

~ I think a good sense of humor can get you a long way in a lot of situations. (But that's probably 'cause I can't piss very far.)  :unsure:

I've been reading "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzalez who spent years studying the phenomenon of who survives and who doesn't and why.  A sense of humor was one of the top signatures of a survivor.  You go, SurvivorWoman.   cool14.gif

OH YAH I guess you havent seen Bear Grylls drinking his own piss or elephant piss.  :D

Personal ability, control of your fears, your ability to think and reason under great stress, life lessons that may help. health and conditioning and in the end its just luck sometimes.

If it was a pissing contest I would win. I have a narrow urethra and can piss accross a room into a toilet and not miss.

good to know you can pee out our campfire

:woot:  Kim!  You surprise me sometimes!  :rofl:

~ I don't think Bear drank elephant Piss, if I remember correctly he squeezed the liquid juice from elephant dung into his open mouth. That's way worse in my book. I've never been that thirsty I guess.  :rofl:

Either way, this topic made me laugh even years after the fact, and it also shines a light on everybody's different ideas of what's important to know, or to have with you. Is it knowledge? Is it tools? Is it awareness? Or Luck? Or is it a will? Is it something everyone can have? Or is in innate?

Lots of good thoughts here. I'm glad a guest was looking at it, or I might never have seen it again.  :arigato:

It's funny how so many of us think alike.  I posted a similar entry on my blog and a couple of guest posts on some other blogs a while back.  The thing that bothers me are the people that think either you are 100% on every skill or your nothing.  If you are at 90% on a skill, you are crap and don't know enough and won't survive blah, blah, blah.  Those are the ones that really annoy me. (Every bit you learn is that much better than you were the day before) 

Same thing goes for a few of the libertarian/anarchist types (I am a libertarian, mini-archist), they say you either are 100% against the state and everything or your a statist.  99% is still not good enough for them,  they say you can't be a patriot and a libertarian at the same time blah, blah, blah.    Sorry, everyone is different and it's the desire to learn and to better yourself and your skills that defines you, not if you meet someone else's "Standard" of survival skill sets. 

In the end its mostly luck but you can improve your odds greatly with knowledge.

Ive always said you never know when that one skill, that one trick or that one little bit of information someone finds might save there life down the line someday. Its part luck. Part skill. Part knowledge and part iginuity that keeps people alive. But i think there own will to survive is what keeps them going most the time.  I do belive that the more we teach ourselves to do with less the better our chances of survival if the need ever arises.

Everybody wins!!!!    (Otherwise they probably wouldn't be interested in survival websites)  moose0024.gif

~ What if survival WAS a pissing contest.  :unsure:  I wonder which one of you would win?  I figure Kim and I would be toast.  :rofl:

We could have different categories... like:

1 - Volume

2 - Duration

3 - Distance

4 - Accuracy

5 - Pen(is)menship...

happy097.gif

We could have different categories... like:

1 - Volume

2 - Duration

3 - Distance

4 - Accuracy

5 - Pen(is)menship...

happy097.gif

~ well, caffeine is a diuretic, that might bring on an advantage. Caffeine is to pissing contests what Steroids are to Baseball.  :smoke: